Install Modem on Old Compaq Desktop

deadkenny

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2002
Hi All,

I know this machine is really old, but I've got this Compaq Deskpro 2000 (200MHz Pentium MMX, the 'footprint' version, not tower - integrated Via m/b), running Windows 95A. I've salvaged an ISA 56K modem from another machine, US Robotics Sportster model 0460. The modem has some jumpers on the top, 3 pairs of pins related to some sort of 'setting' and then another set that appears to be related to IRQ (at least that's how it's labelled). Anyway the PC has several PCI and ISA slots on a riser card. I've installed an old ISA SoundBlaster sound card that wasn't originally equipment. However, I can't see to install the modem. When I physically install it, it's not recognized as new hardware. Any help you could offer would be very much appreciated.

That (upgrade) which does not destroy you(r system's stability), makes it stronger. Nietzche

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That's because it's not a PNP modem, it's a hardware modem. You can scan for it when it ask if you want to scan for non-PNP devices (this takes a while), but if the jumper settings conflict with another device it still won't work. There might be a PNP jumper setting as well, which would be easier. Otherwise I suggest you get a PCI modem.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

deadkenny

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2002
Thanks for your reply. So the trick is that I have to get the jumpers on the modem itself configured properly? Any ideas on where I can find out how to set the modem jumpers?

That (upgrade) which does not destroy you(r system's stability), makes it stronger. Nietzche

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes. Yep.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Oh, you probably wanted more information. Look at the modem, it's screenprinted on the modem with lables near the jumpers. There's probably a diagram on the back as well.

deadkenny

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2002
Thanks for your assistance. I did some research and I believe I've figured out the jumper thing. I'm going to give it another shot and see if Windows picks it up as PnP. BTW the USRobotics site was helpful in this regard, although it could be laid out a bit more clearly. I'll report back on how it goes (in case anyone is interested).

deadkenny

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2002
As it turns out I just had to configure the jumpers on the modem itself to 'PnP', and Windows 95 autodetected it right away. Now I just have to configure it so that it runs faster (doesn't seem much better than the 33.6 external modem it replaced - any suggestions?). Thanks for your help.