So here's an odd one that I couldn't find.

Peridoically, new files are created on my computer which do absolutely
nothing except take up space. For example, I'll find a file called ~sume.doc
right next to my resume.doc file. Or, I'll find a file called thumbs.db that
seems to pop up everywhere. What exactly is this and what's causing it?

Thanks
FW

"FurlessWookie" <FurlessWookie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> So here's an odd one that I couldn't find.
>
> Peridoically, new files are created on my computer which do absolutely
> nothing except take up space. For example, I'll find a file called
> ~sume.doc

It's a temporary file created while working on a doc

> right next to my resume.doc file. Or, I'll find a file called thumbs.db
> that
> seems to pop up everywhere. What exactly is this and what's causing it?

That's the thumbnails database file that gets created in directories with
suitable media. If you want to view all system and hidden files it's the
price you must pay. If not turn them off in Win Explorer folder options.

> Thanks
> FW

TRENDING THREADS