Sign in with
Your question

Response time?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
December 28, 2004 4:54:43 PM

I'm not sure what it is, but it seems like the more expensive lcds have a response time of something like 25ms while I see a bunch of cheap ones with 16ms. Any reason? I think I remember somebody said it had something to do with how many colors a monitor shows, and that some of the ceap ones don't use as many colors, hence better response time. Am I right?

More about : response time

December 28, 2004 6:12:25 PM

Not necessarily, a lot of those 25ms lcd's came out before 16ms and relied on older, more expensive technologies. They were thus more expensive to produce-> higher price. As for the colors, just make sure it's true 16.7m colors (2^24*2^8 (alpha channels)). Dont settle for the 16.2m, that's interpolated.

<font color=white>XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX</font color=white>
<font color=green>XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX</font color=green>
<font color=red>XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX</font color=red>
December 28, 2004 9:07:29 PM

Ok, so as long as I got 16.7m colors I'm ok, and I shouldn't get an exspencive LCD w/ 25ms response time. What is the difference if I have a longer response time? I won't be playing any games, but I might watch a lot of movies on it.
Related resources
December 28, 2004 11:19:10 PM

ghosting, whether you play games or not, you don't want a response time of greater than 20ms, the lower the better.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>
December 29, 2004 6:06:15 AM

Just make sure it's true 24-bit color in terms of the color. And as Rich said, response time does matter, esp for movies and games- so in ur case its important.

<font color=white>XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX</font color=white>
<font color=green>XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX</font color=green>
<font color=red>XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX</font color=red>
January 6, 2005 7:49:41 AM

You also want to have a DVI output, most of the lower response time LCD that are 19in or higher, have analog only. Why buy a Digital display if your going to send the signal by analog?

Crap, all the good ones are already taken.
January 6, 2005 11:23:47 AM

A 25ms response time is perfectly adequate for watching movies, as long as the manufacturer didn't exaggerate their specs too much. MVA or PVA panels are typically slower than TN+F panels, but have enhanced viewing angles. They are also more expensive to produce, hence the higher prices. The MVA/PVA panels tend to be targeted at a non-gaming audience, and are much more likely to be true 24 bit color panels (though some, like the Samsung 172x, are 18 bit dithered). Personally, I'd recommend the Samsung 173P; I just bought one, and its perfect for movies (definitely *not* for games though - I have visible ghosting even in slower games like Knights of the Old Republic).
January 6, 2005 11:54:20 PM

I just ordered a Nu L921G. It has a 25ms response time but is true 24bit and has DVI as well. I will post a update once I recieve it to indicate its quality and gameing ability. I can test out DOOM3 with it but I mostly play simulators which it shouldn't be huge issue.

Crap, all the good ones are already taken.
!