MN-500 Series firmware.

Does anybody from Microsoft read these? Maybe they can
answer these.

I read that there will be a new software release when SP2
hits RTM. Can we expect any more firmware upgrades for the
MN-500 series?

I would love to see some new features for the MN-
500/510/520. At the very least I think that you should
consider a 256-bit WEP, (maybe even WPA). Some other
things, although less important than a stronger
encryption, could include some sort of authentication,
maybe a DDoS blocking firewall, or possibly a setting to
decrease the signal strength.

Also see the post I made right below this one for a bug
you can fix in the MN-510 drivers.
Also the greyed out Management Tool in the BNU is pretty
annoying.

I feel like your company should have put a little more
effort into your networking products before ditching your
user base. There are still some months left before the 2-
year support is up, and I think a couple new features
could help solidify Microsoft's future hardware products
in the minds of people who went out on a limb and
purchased this hardware.

-Concerned

PS. If anybody knows who I can email this to (maybe Bill
Gates :p or even somebody that works on the drivers and
support team) give me an address. (Because I am not sure
if MS reads these)

Also, I know that some of the MN-500 have boot code 1.06
on them. If anybody has this file that we could flash post
a message here.
3 answers Last reply
More about series firmware

    MS reads this newsgroup.

    You probably won't see any more NEW features for the 5xx series of
    products and it is unlikely you would see them for the newer 7xx
    series. You WILL see a software fix for compatibility of the software
    BNU utility.

    If you download the updates for the 7xx you will end up with WPA for
    the 520 and 510, but not the 500. The 500 just won't support WPA. Like
    other first/second generation 802.11b routers that can't be updated,
    this is probably a hardware limitation of the CPU in the device
    itself.

    On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 22:56:48 -0700, "Concerned"

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist

    Do you think 256-bit WEP is in the hardware? I think that
    would help A LOT on these "old" routers security. I
    say "old" because many retail chains still sell it. I
    understand that WPA is hoping for too much, but I do not
    think 256-bit or 152-bit WEP is too much to ask from MS,
    after all we did expect a little more dedication to their
    networking line when we purchased these.

    I know that there is a WPA driver update (for Win XP) for
    the mn510, although that driver has a glitch where it
    won't connect to a network with SSID disabled.

    -concerned

    256 bit WEP is not standard (nor is 152 bit).
    As such, it's likely you'll ever see it in an MSFT product.

    --
    Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

    Find out about the MS MVP Program -

Routers Firmware Microsoft Networking