Intel drops mobile Chip prices - Will Dell lower chip upgrade prices

computerinfo

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
Intel Dropped the price of the Mobile T7700 by 40% to $316 on September 5th (3 weeks ago)

When I try to configure a 17 inch Dell Vostro 1700, they still want $575 to upgrade it over the standard T5470.

What the deal here????

theworminator

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
It's for people who forget to research prices before actually buying, it's basically a tax on people who aren't informed :D.

Or Dell's price jabbing. Or lazy. Or something.

Well also remember DELL et al have to clear their channel of the 'OLD priced' T7700s, so it may take a few weeks. Some companies do more real-time pricing, but that sometimes causes problems for old users too, so channel pricing helps delay the transition. But really as long as people are willing to pay DELL the premium, they're likely going to charge it, once they see the option dip in popularity, probably then they'll change pricing.

Personally I'd prefer, like you, that they update within a few days of new pricing, but the reality is that it usually takes a few weeks for the prices to come down. And hey, they know they can squeeze more out of the T7700 & 7800 buyer. I've found the T7500 is the sweet spot usually right now, but with the prices drops that may change in a fw weeks.