Round IDE Cables - Worth the cost?

darnoc

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2003
I have been looking into round IDE cables because I need to get a 36 inch and a 18 inch cable. But I am wondering if round IDE cables are worth the extra cost. I have read that contrary to popular belief they don't help keep your case cooler and that they can cause transfer problems because all of the cables are bound together. Is any of this true? Should I buy round IDE cables or should I just use ribbon cables? I have been looking at the Antec Cobra brand and know it was highly rated here on Tom's Hardware Guide. So whats the verdict from the community?

Thanks,
Conrad

daniel1113

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
Round IDE cables sure look a lot better than regular cables; however, I doubt they help too much with airflow, especially if you have more than four in your computer. If you only have one cable, it may be an improvement.

I think the appearance alone justifies the extra cost, especially if you have a window on the side of your case.

Daniel M. Carrico
www.danielcarrico.com
daniel1113[at]comcast[dot]net

"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice." - Joseph Dunninger

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If you know how to rout your ribbon cables out of the way, you can get a clean, air restriction free installation.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
if your looking for better air flow, then go with Serial ATA.... rounded are a waste

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
200gb WD 8mb cache..
Lian-Li PC-60
Lite-On 52X
AMD XP2800+
LeadTek GeForce 4 Ti4200 w/vivo 128mb 8x
Hitachi CML174
1 GB Corsair XMS PC3200 Cas2

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Heh, d00d, you know you can rout your standard IDE cables to the side so they aren't in the airflow path, no?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

TRENDING THREADS