Messenger Service.

What is Messenger Service? I am being sent regular messages from it/them and
don't know whether I should take them seriously or ignore them. The warnings
they give sound very serious.

So far, I have not 'OK'd' any of them.

Cheers and thanks to anyone who can advise me.
10 answers Last reply
More about messenger service

    What do the messages say? Please post the exact wording.

    In news:964D9A07-763B-405A-9BF8-E741EC6FE9DA@microsoft.com,
    Wrinkly <Wrinkly@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > What is Messenger Service? I am being sent regular messages
    > from
    > it/them and don't know whether I should take them seriously or
    > ignore
    > them. The warnings they give sound very serious.

    The messages don't come *from* Messenger Service. They are coming
    over the internet and are using Messenger Service as the tool for
    sending them.

    You are apparently running without using a firewall, which is a
    *very* dangerous thing to do, These spurious messages are the
    least of your problems.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Unless you are in a domain where you have someone who might need to send you
    messages using Messenger Service, you don't need it turned on.

    Look here for more:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q330904

    "Wrinkly" <Wrinkly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > What is Messenger Service? I am being sent regular messages from it/them
    > and
    > don't know whether I should take them seriously or ignore them. The
    > warnings
    > they give sound very serious.
    >
    > So far, I have not 'OK'd' any of them.
    >
    > Cheers and thanks to anyone who can advise me.

    In Windows XP Help and Support enter: Messenger Service --in the search
    box. Select the article on how to disable pop-up ads opening in a Messenger
    Service window.

    Messenger Service is a way to send messaged between computers. Messenger
    Service is not either Windows Messenger or Microsoft Messenger.

    That you are receiving pop-up ads in a Messenger Service window indicates
    security problem.

    Don

    Wrinkly wrote:
    > What is Messenger Service? I am being sent regular messages
    > from it/them and don't know whether I should take them
    > seriously or ignore them. The warnings they give sound very
    > serious.
    >
    > So far, I have not 'OK'd' any of them.
    >
    > Cheers and thanks to anyone who can advise me.

    Either install Service Pack 2 or start using a firewall. What
    you're receiving is commonly referred to as Messenger Spam. You
    can disable the Messenger Service as others have suggested but
    that's just hiding the symptom instead of curing the problem.

    Run a Google search for Messenger Spam if you want more info on
    this issue.

    Good luck

    Nepatsfan

    "Ken Blake" wrote:

    > In news:964D9A07-763B-405A-9BF8-E741EC6FE9DA@microsoft.com,
    > Wrinkly <Wrinkly@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
    >
    > > What is Messenger Service? I am being sent regular messages
    > > from
    > > it/them and don't know whether I should take them seriously or
    > > ignore
    > > them. The warnings they give sound very serious.
    >

    > The messages don't come *from* Messenger Service. They are coming
    > over the internet and are using Messenger Service as the tool for
    > sending them.
    >
    > You are apparently running without using a firewall, which is a
    > *very* dangerous thing to do, These spurious messages are the
    > least of your problems.

    > Please reply to the newsgroup
    >

    > Thanks to you all for the info. There's quite a lot to take in so I'm busy going through it.

    Some points.
    A new mesage from Messenger Service this evening.
    "STOP. WINDOWS REQUIRES IMMEDIATE ATTENTION.

    Windows has found CRITICAL SYSTEM ERRORS. To fix the errors please do the
    following:
    1. Download Registry Repairs from WWW.FIXWINREG.com
    2. Install Registry Repairs.
    3. Run Registry epairs.
    4. Reboot your computer.
    FAILURE TO ACT NOW MAY LEAD TO DATA LOSS AND CORRUPTION.

    (THE CAPITAL LETTERSE ARE AS RECEIVED).

    Firewall was ticked on my PC in Internet Connection Firewall - that I think
    would apply to Internet Explorer. Just days ago I switch to Firefox but the
    messages from Messenger Service were coming through before the change fron
    I.E and since.

    In news:6A4B8947-3B68-48E4-9E32-4894B6519A86@microsoft.com,
    Wrinkly <Wrinkly@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > "Ken Blake" wrote:
    >
    >> In news:964D9A07-763B-405A-9BF8-E741EC6FE9DA@microsoft.com,
    >> Wrinkly <Wrinkly@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
    >>
    >>> What is Messenger Service? I am being sent regular messages
    >>> from
    >>> it/them and don't know whether I should take them seriously
    >>> or
    >>> ignore
    >>> them. The warnings they give sound very serious.
    >>

    >> The messages don't come *from* Messenger Service. They are
    >> coming
    >> over the internet and are using Messenger Service as the tool
    >> for
    >> sending them.
    >>
    >> You are apparently running without using a firewall, which is
    >> *very* dangerous thing to do, These spurious messages are the
    >> least of your problems.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Please reply to the newsgroup
    >>

    >> Thanks to you all for the info. There's quite a lot to take in
    >> so
    >> I'm busy going through it.
    >
    > Some points.
    > A new mesage from Messenger Service this evening.
    > "STOP. WINDOWS REQUIRES IMMEDIATE ATTENTION.
    >
    > Windows has found CRITICAL SYSTEM ERRORS. To fix the errors
    > please do
    > the following:
    > 1. Download Registry Repairs from WWW.FIXWINREG.com
    > 2. Install Registry Repairs.
    > 3. Run Registry epairs.
    > 4. Reboot your computer.
    > FAILURE TO ACT NOW MAY LEAD TO DATA LOSS AND CORRUPTION.
    >
    > (THE CAPITAL LETTERSE ARE AS RECEIVED).

    This nothing but an ad for WWW.FIXWINREG.com. Windows hasn't
    found any errors at all. Again, note that the message is not
    *from* Messenger Service, it's from the people at
    WWW.FIXWINREG.com. It's coming to you *via* Messenger Service.
    Ignore all such messages.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    > Firewall was ticked on my PC in Internet Connection Firewall -
    > that
    > I think would apply to Internet Explorer. Just days ago I
    > switch to
    > Firefox but the messages from Messenger Service were coming
    > through
    > before the change fron I.E and since.

    try this program here
    http://www.theorica.net/safexp.htm
    and then go here
    http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/home.jsp
    and d/load the free zonelabs firewall. Even the free one is better than
    the windows one, then go here http://tinyurl.com/47cus
    and fetch MS antispy, and then you might not get some much rubbish and
    your pc might just survive..............

    --
    guestfromhell
    guestfromhell's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=12490

    basically, you need to be running a firewall. you could disable the
    messenger service, but that would just mask the problem that your machine
    is accessable to the outside world.

    you should update to SP2, AFTER you've learned the ins and outs so you
    won't have any major problems. good luck.

    Wrinkly wrote:
    > What is Messenger Service? I am being sent regular messages from it/them and
    > don't know whether I should take them seriously or ignore them. The warnings
    > they give sound very serious.
    >
    > So far, I have not 'OK'd' any of them.
    >
    > Cheers and thanks to anyone who can advise me.

    Does the title bar of these pop-ups read "Messenger Service?"

    This type of spam has become quite common over the couple of
    years, and unintentionally serves as a valid security "alert." It
    demonstrates that you haven't been taking sufficient precautions while
    connected to the Internet. Your data probably hasn't been compromised
    by these specific advertisements, but if you're open to this exploit,
    you may well be open to other threats, such as the Blaster Worm that
    swept across the Internet last year and the currently active Sasser
    Worm. Install and use a decent, properly configured firewall.
    (Merely disabling the messenger service, as some people recommend,
    only hides the symptom, and does little or nothing to truly secure
    your machine.) And ignoring or just "putting up with" the security
    gap represented by these messages is particularly foolish.

    Messenger Service of Windows
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;168893

    Messenger Service Window That Contains an Internet Advertisement
    Appears
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=330904

    Blocking Ads, Parasites, and Hijackers with a Hosts File
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

    Oh, and be especially wary of people who advise you to do nothing
    more than disable the messenger service. Disabling the messenger
    service, by itself, is a "head in the sand" approach to computer
    security. The real problem is not the messenger service pop-ups;
    they're actually providing a useful, if annoying, service by acting as
    a security alert. The true problem is the unsecured computer, and
    you've been advised to merely turn off the warnings. How is this
    helpful?

    There are several essential components to computer security: a
    knowledgeable and pro-active user, a properly configured firewall,
    reliable and up-to-date antivirus software, and the prompt repair (via
    patches, hotfixes, or service packs) of any known vulnerabilities.

    The weakest link in this "equation" is, of course, the computer
    user. No software manufacturer can -- nor should they be expected
    to -- protect the computer user from him/herself. All too many people
    have bought into the various PC/software manufacturers marketing
    claims of easy computing. They believe that their computer should be
    no harder to use than a toaster oven; they have neither the
    inclination or desire to learn how to safely use their computer. All
    too few people keep their antivirus software current, install patches
    in a timely manner, or stop to really think about that cutesy link
    they're about to click.

    Firewalls and anti-virus applications, which should always be used
    and should always be running, are important components of "safe hex,"
    but they cannot, and should not be expected to, protect the computer
    user from him/herself. Ultimately, it is incumbent upon each and
    every computer user to learn how to secure his/her own computer.

    To learn more about practicing "safe hex," start with these links:

    Protect Your PC

    Home Computer Security
    http://www.cert.org/homeusers/HomeComputerSecurity/

    List of Antivirus Software Vendors