DIY Acoustic Panels

Last response: in Home Audio
November 19, 2004 11:03:35 PM

Hi,
Can anyone give me some suggestions on DIY acoustic panels? Might be some
web-site that can teach me how to make that?
Thanks in advance.
Lawrence

More about : diy acoustic panels

Anonymous
November 20, 2004 6:45:39 PM

Hi,

In message <cnljin01fn9@news1.newsguy.com>, Lawrence
<cpleung0817@hotmail.com> writes
>Hi,
>Can anyone give me some suggestions on DIY acoustic panels? Might be some
>web-site that can teach me how to make that?
>Thanks in advance.
>Lawrence

It depends on whether you're looking for absorption or diffusion, and at
what frequencies. Try http://www.realtraps.com for a starting point,
then have a look at Ethan Winer's acoustics faq and his instructions for
home brewed bass traps at http://www.realtraps.com. You should find some
indications of where to start. If you have questions about room
treatment, try
http://www.musicplayer.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=f...

Have fun.
--
Glenn Booth
Anonymous

Lawrence <cpleung0817@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<cnljin01fn9@news1.newsguy.com>...
> Hi,
> Can anyone give me some suggestions on DIY acoustic panels? Might be some
> web-site that can teach me how to make that?
> Thanks in advance.
> Lawrence

Something that I have been advised to do and will do when the rest of
the renovations are finnished (sigh) is to buy some ready made
canvasses that artists use. They consist of a simple wooden square or
rectangular frame with canvas stretched over the front. They are quite
cheap to buy and come in all different sizes. I think the frame is
about an inch thick.

Then you purchase some fibreglass or polyester insulation material
that you normaly find in ceilings and walls. There are two types that
I know of, compressed fibreglass boards, can be found in different
thicknesses, or the regular fluffy stuff sold in big bags. The
compressed boards are easiest to work with and may absorb more sound.

Simply find the right thickness board, or use the right amount of the
fluffy type and fit it into the back of the canvass frame. when you
have a nice snug fit you can staple a sheet of cardboard over it to
seal it up.
What you do with the canvass side is up to you and your creative
mind.
Then hang them up where you want just like a picture. Bunch them
together if you
like and create a large wall pannel. I will probably try this.

PS: The compressed boards often come with some kind of foil sheeting
stuck to the front of them. Try to peel this of as it will act as a
reflective barrier.
Also, I've read that using thick oil based paint to decorate the
canvass may also act as a reflective barrier and prevent all of the
sound from reaching the panel. You could try playing around with some
water based dyes, these won't block the block the holes in the
canvass, or just leave them plain.

Dezza.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
November 23, 2004 3:18:19 AM

"Lawrence" <cpleung0817@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> Can anyone give me some suggestions on DIY acoustic panels? Might be
> some
> web-site that can teach me how to make that?
> Thanks in advance.
> Lawrence

http://www.foambymail.com/
aka The Foam Factory sells several variants of acoustic foam ( in colors
too!) along with columns and corner treatments. I haven't tried those
but, did buy a mattress pad from them several months back. They sell on
eBay as well for less than what they sell from their site for. Do an
Ebay seller search for the ID foambymail or email them direct from their
site. Nice guys to deal with.
John
Anonymous
November 23, 2004 3:19:53 AM

Lawrence wrote:

> Hi,
> Can anyone give me some suggestions on DIY acoustic panels? Might be some
> web-site that can teach me how to make that?
> Thanks in advance.
> Lawrence

Consider getting a copy of the Master Handbook of Acoustics
by F. Alton Everest. You will find quite a bit of useful
information in it.
Anonymous
November 23, 2004 4:01:23 AM

Midlant wrote:

> http://www.foambymail.com/
> aka The Foam Factory sells several variants of acoustic foam [...]

I have no experience with the Foam Factory, but I have used
foam acoustic treatments from several sources. The ones I
received had a strong chemical odor when new that I found
quite irritating. I put them into the garage to age for a
month or two before then mounting them in the listening room.
Those who are chemically sensitive, or just sensitive to
odors, will want to consider this.

I've also ordered panels made of rigid fiberglass (the other
main material used for acoustic treatments), and when
received, they did not have any odor. Also, according to the
absorption curves I have seen, rigid fiberglass has
considerably more absorptive power per unit than foam. Its
lifetime is also greater; I found that foam started to
deteriorate in 5 years or so and eventually had to be
replaced. However, foam is cheaper to start with, and perhaps
if it is fabric wrapped, the deterioration can be slowed.

None of this is meant to say that foam can't be a good choice
-- it's clearly an important material in many applications.
However, there are several factors to consider before making a
choice.

Mike Prager
North Carolina, USA
November 28, 2004 8:32:25 PM

Lawrence wrote:
> Hi,
> Can anyone give me some suggestions on DIY acoustic panels? Might be
> some web-site that can teach me how to make that?
> Thanks in advance.
> Lawrence

I have european measures:
on a mansonry wall(light plasterboards are not stable enough) you can make a
frame of 19mm MDF in the size 100cmx70cm(outside) and fix it airproof . On
top glue a 3mm hard fibre board with the white side out. Two thirds of the
inside is filled with mineral wool. The height of the frame is calculated
with the empirical formula:
h(cm) = (390/fs)^2 :3
fs is the absorbed frequency, so for example for 65Hz the height will be
12cm.
This absorber can be constructed for around 20 bucks each, best it is put
into room corners, one on each wall.
--
ciao Ban
Bordighera, Italy