How do I hook up a receiver's tuner to another preamp?

I'm trying to use the tuner on an old receiver with a different stereo system.
I have RCAs going into "tuner" on the back of the preamp, but what do I attach
them to on the back of the receiver? I've tried everything, nothing works, so
maybe I can't do this at all?

Thanks.
6 answers Last reply
More about hook receiver tuner preamp
  1. Archived from groups: rec.audio.high-end (More info?)

    "Farrell22" <farrell22@cs.com> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to use the tuner on an old receiver with a different stereo
    system.
    > I have RCAs going into "tuner" on the back of the preamp, but what do I
    attach
    > them to on the back of the receiver? I've tried everything, nothing works,
    so
    > maybe I can't do this at all?
    >
    > Thanks.

    You should use the "tape out" RCA's and connected them to "Tuner" on the
    preamp (as apparently you have done). Make sure the receiver is set to FM
    mode and that you have a signal.
  2. Archived from groups: rec.audio.high-end (More info?)

    In article <cnoon801tbu@news3.newsguy.com>, Farrell22
    <farrell22@cs.com> wrote:

    > I'm trying to use the tuner on an old receiver with a different stereo system.
    > I have RCAs going into "tuner" on the back of the preamp, but what do I attach
    > them to on the back of the receiver? I've tried everything, nothing works, so
    > maybe I can't do this at all?

    Use "pre-amp out" or "main out" if you have them. If not, use "tape
    out" or "tape record". If you have tape dubbing, make sure it is off.

    -john-

    John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708 john@johnweeks.com
    Newave Communications http://www.johnweeks.com
  3. Archived from groups: rec.audio.high-end (More info?)

    "Farrell22" <farrell22@cs.com> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to use the tuner on an old receiver with a
    > different stereo system.
    > I have RCAs going into "tuner" on the back of the
    > preamp, but what do I attach
    > them to on the back of the receiver? I've tried
    > everything, nothing works, so
    > maybe I can't do this at all?

    Plug into the "tape out" outputs of the receiver. Make
    sure you select the tuner as the tape source on the
    receiver.

    Regards,
    Tip
  4. Archived from groups: rec.audio.high-end (More info?)

    >I'm trying to use the tuner on an old receiver with a different stereo
    >system.
    >I have RCAs going into "tuner" on the back of the preamp, but what do I
    >attach
    >them to on the back of the receiver? I've tried everything, nothing works, so
    >maybe I can't do this at all?
    >
    >Thanks.

    I would try taking the tuner signal from the receiver via the receiver's
    tape-loop output, remembering to make sure you have the receiver in tuner mode.
  5. Archived from groups: rec.audio.high-end (More info?)

    >From: "Harry Lavo" harry.lavo@rcn.com

    >"Farrell22" <farrell22@cs.com> wrote in message
    >> I'm trying to use the tuner on an old receiver with a different stereo
    >system.
    >> I have RCAs going into "tuner" on the back of the preamp, but what do I
    >attach
    >> them to on the back of the receiver? I've tried everything, nothing works,
    >so
    >> maybe I can't do this at all?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >
    >You should use the "tape out" RCA's and connected them to "Tuner" on the
    >preamp (as apparently you have done). Make sure the receiver is set to FM
    >mode and that you have a signal.

    Thanks, Harry. That's just what it took.

    Incidentally, I bought one of those really cheap Sony SACD players (CE-595,
    $150) after you wrote about them here, and it really is a much nicer sound than
    CD. I'm glad I tried it.
  6. Archived from groups: rec.audio.high-end (More info?)

    >From: "John A. Weeks III" john@johnweeks.com

    >In article <cnoon801tbu@news3.newsguy.com>, Farrell22
    ><farrell22@cs.com> wrote:
    >
    >> I'm trying to use the tuner on an old receiver with a different stereo
    >system.
    >> I have RCAs going into "tuner" on the back of the preamp, but what do I
    >attach
    >> them to on the back of the receiver? I've tried everything, nothing works,
    >so
    >> maybe I can't do this at all?
    >
    >Use "pre-amp out" or "main out" if you have them. If not, use "tape
    >out" or "tape record". If you have tape dubbing, make sure it is off.

    Hi, John - My receiver does have a pre-out, but I've already hooked it up to
    the "tape out." Is one better than the other?

    Thanks very much.

High-End Audio Tuner Audio