Your question

Which Sound Card is better?

Last response: in Components
December 15, 2003 4:58:59 PM

M-Audio Revo 7.1 --- $100
Audigy 2 ZS --- $90
Terratec Sky 5.1 --- $130
Digifire 7.1 --- $70

Card will be used for games and mp3's. Very few times a DVD or so... It will be going on a IS7-E with P4 2.6C.

Please let me know Which sound card (or another one if I missed any) will be the best for me?

More about : sound card

December 16, 2003 2:46:05 AM

OH, geeze, you'd better get the Audigy2 since you saved $10 on your motherboard (-E) and didn't get the onboard 1394 Firewire controller.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
December 16, 2003 3:57:54 AM

I saved myself $10 because I would never use firewire, or have anything that does. So it was thought out not just randomly done...

I will probably use it for more games than MP3's. and I heard Audigy 2 IS better for gamers. Any other opinions versus the other cards?
Related resources
December 17, 2003 1:01:52 AM

<""Which Sound Card is better?"">

The one that you like.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...
June 11, 2004 7:27:16 PM

I would get the revolution and stay away from audigy2 with its buggy drivers and irq hogging hardware. Piece of crap in my opinion

Asus p4533c 2.53,4x512 1066,40gb system ,240Gb RAID A/V Drive,80 Gb Export,Radeon 9800 Pro,Matrox Rt.X100,Santa Cruz Turtle Beach,Aardvark Aark 20,Ricoh Mp5125a,Samsung 40x cd,Antec w/400,Xp pro
June 11, 2004 8:51:12 PM

Is'nt it what I've said: "The one that you like."

:) 

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...
June 14, 2004 12:15:16 AM

Audigy2 will be a better choice if you play a lot of games.
June 14, 2004 12:57:02 AM

since you play games...Audigy2zs of coz man!!
it sound just as transparent as my Motu896, just the noise level is lot higher!!
also the Firewire on Audigy2zs is rocksolid!!

ASUS A7N8X, xp3200@ 2211Mhz, 2xKINGSTON HYPERX PC3500 512MB(211mhz), Segate 200g 8mb/120g 8mb/80g 2mb ATA100, ATI9800pro 128mb, audigy2zs, 2x UAD-1, TC Powercore, Motu896 firewire
June 14, 2004 3:46:07 PM

I've had both the audigy 2 platinum with the breakout box and the revolution. The revolution is easily much better. I thought the audigy was utter crap. It had many many problems and didn't sound good ( crackle and sych problems ) . The drivers on the audigy are buggy and it hogs an irq channel. Get the revolution or a santa cruz. My 2 cents MIchael

Asus p4533c 2.53,4x512 1066,40gb system ,240Gb RAID A/V Drive,80 Gb Export,Radeon 9800 Pro,Matrox Rt.X100,Santa Cruz Turtle Beach,Aardvark Aark 20,Ricoh Mp5125a,Samsung 40x cd,Antec w/400,Xp pro
June 15, 2004 12:10:40 AM

the audigy cards do have compatibily problems with certain mobos, as to the crackles it might be caused by the "Creative GamePort". i get crackles under DirectSound driver when i use keybaord to type, but when i disabled it and use mobo's gameport, that isn't a problem anymore!

in my DAW boot, i do have to disable Audigy2zs, and enable to Firewire only, or other wise i will get clicks and syc problems with 896 when CPU meter reach 50%

I believe Audigy2zs sound better than Audigy2!
and for Gameing performace and 3D positing in games, Audigy series win!!

sych problems ??

ASUS A7N8X, xp3200@ 2211Mhz, 2xKINGSTON HYPERX PC3500 512MB(211mhz), Segate 200g 8mb/120g 8mb/80g 2mb ATA100, ATI9800pro 128mb, audigy2zs, 2x UAD-1, TC Powercore, Motu896 firewire
June 15, 2004 1:55:14 AM

The audigy cards are not serious cards for recording or for gamers. I think they suck. Revolution will do all that you ask and more. They are actual asio card. Which is an audio standard. Audigy just has a bunch of dumb fans who don't know better. My aardvark will kick almost any cards ass. And I'll put my santa cruz against any audigy. They simple are a waste of time. The synch problems were with analog video capture. I don't have to do anything to listen or record music. My cards rock. Michael

June 15, 2004 5:22:11 AM

hahaha, you really have alot of hate with ur audigy 2 platinum hee? well, i don't know how they sound but i know that Audigy2ZS is really amazing! and definally better, no crashes during games, fantastic sounds for DVD and EAX games!!

i do really feel for those who spent that much for making and recording music but in the end it isn't good for real music production due to ASIO sample rate only lock at 48khz and 96khz, however, with my system, i can record at 7ms without pop and clicks! Also, to those who own last generation VIA mobo that had nitemares with creatives'

i have tried Turtle Beach, it is decent, but its noise level and transparence when compare to audigy2zs wont even stand a chance~ anyhow i havnt try out Aarvark's stuff.

now i only monitor thru Alesis M1mk2s and Sony MDR7506, when i upgrade to Mackie 824 i might notice the difference~ but now
the audigy2ZS sound just as transparent and smooth compare to MOTU 896, just the ground noise is a bit high, yet it will only affect your listening experience when you like to listen at -70db then amply with ur powerspeaker to an audible level!
i had Pulsar2 and Behringer ADA8000 ADAT, Audigy2zs sound better than those two during playback!

"synch problems were with analog video capture",
huh.... maybe...
you have to check your audio recording latency
if the video capture latency isn't the same as audio, then you will have to menually aline them~
but i use DV so i don't know if theres a latecy during analogy video recording.

June 15, 2004 3:34:47 PM

Hi,
I think the revolution can actually record at 2x 96k. I always record at 16 bit 44.1 k or at 48k for video. I hate the dithering. Even at 32 bit to 16 bit , there is problems.I record for cd or dvd. Cd is 44.1 and dvd is 48k. Why record higher and mush it down. What is real music production? If it is distributed on cd its real. I have punk albums that sound like [-peep-], and yet they are real. And I didn't spend to much on my aardvark. ( the programs on the other hand....) I listen mostly with my jbl's. They are not super high end, but they sound good. I also send the digital out to my amp. It sounds much better. Mostly for monitering during over dubbing. I had a bunch of problems with the audigy2 platinum, and got to return it for full value. Yes my problems were documented and they couldn't fix them. So to get me too shut up, they gave my money back. I had done everything possible to get the audio and video to synch up. I did so many variations of audio drift and settings tests. Creative actually emailed me a beta driver to see if it would fix the problem. It didn't. Nothing with the audigy 2 platinum worked , except just regular playback. Not all that hard for a sound card. I got a revolution, which I loved. It would not work with the video capture either though. My friend got a good deal from me and loves it. He records with it and plans to release a cd ( solo piano ) , whenever he is done tinkering. So now I use a turtle beach for analog capture and gaming. And the aardvark for multi track recording. My band will have a cd out by xmas. I've recorded for years on a multi track 1/2 tape recorder and this rig is much better. I can definitly get pro results. I use cubase ( multitracking ) and wavelab ( final mastering ) . My friends all seem to like peak on the mac for some reason. I think its because the program is dumbed down. I'm very happy with the santa cruz. They are very cheap. It gives great detail. It can capture audio in synch with the video. No more gritchy sound. It can share a irq channel ( which the audigy won't allow ) . It doesn't have buggy drivers. So I stay far far away from audigy. And no one I know who is seriuos about sound uses them. I have friends who work professionally in sound. One works in game sound development at lucas.( one actually hates the computer, his studio is not being used as much because of computers and he is pissed . He still uses tape for sound quality) ) None of them like the audigy. But for the most part, they say the speakers and placement matter more. I run games at 1600x1200x32 @85 and almost never crash. I doubt any crashes are caused by the soundcard. I know many people who have stopped using creative products because of the buggy drivers and the gritchy sound.Look at the support page or do a google search about people asking about crackle and audigy. I had nothing but trouble with them. I thought it was the best. I should have researched soundcards. Again, put the specs of a revolution next to a audigy 2 and you will be surprized. A revolution will flat out beat any audigy. I still will put my old santa cruz against a new audigy 2 platinum and be happy. My loud 2 cents Michael

June 16, 2004 12:44:05 AM

well, alot of hate with audigy' pop and clicks today should be able to be solved by disabling the Gameport, if still not working swap to another pci slot.

seems that there are less hater that are complaining, so maybe the driver is better now?
i had no experience with Audigy1 and any platinum version, so i can't say much about them.
i don't use audigy2zs to record or making music so i don't know the stablility for long hours of usage, also never tried to record morethan two tracks with audigy2zs~ but it's again i really like the sound in DVDs and games!!

well, haha
for many who so want to use mac only are ... i don't
to my experience they are often the scary people who want to be special and will keep telling... "that i can use that much plugs on my mac, amazing hee?...ha mac is faster hahaha"

speakers and placement matter more...yeah its important but just need to get your speaker facing at ur ears at the right angles and isolate from the ground and better in he middleof the room. i would say the Speaker itself matters more, also the sound card matters more becuase with better Digital to analog convert you can hear the deepth and positing clearly during mixing and monitoring. however, whith bad soundcard, you wont really know how you really layered the sounds over each other

but anyway, happy music making!

June 16, 2004 1:37:04 AM

How can I flame if you keep being nice. I don't think the guy is even reading this anymore. Its just you and I going on about cards. I wish I could use a m-audio with my system, but any card will do fine for gaming and movies. Even soundblaster 5.1 is ok. I think the biggest gains in cards would be a digital in/out, and if it is asio. Whatever makes you happy. Michael

June 16, 2004 11:03:50 PM

:) 

June 29, 2004 5:56:27 PM

Thanks for hammering this out for me guys. I've been using an Audigy Platinum for the last 2.5 years. Had nothing but problems. Expensive, difficult to install, buggy, crackly and the sound for music and games wasn't all that great. Building a new bleeding edge system and was debating whether or not to go Audigy 2Z Platinum or in an entirely different direction. I've decided to go with the M-Audio Revolution.

I got one "open box" on ebay for 79.99 delivered. I figured "what the hey" for that price how bad can it be? Also I'm a musician and M-Audio in known to me from studio work. I'd already made my decision to go with a card over the MB's audio but you guys really gave me a nice overview of the pluses and minuses of the two camps...

Thanks...

Da Worfster

If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
July 4, 2004 9:32:16 PM

I have an Audigy 2ZS Platinum, I don't find it that bad at all, Paired up with some Z-680s, I really don't find it a bad card at all, in fact I love it. I don't really have a problem with it, I don't see anything bad about recording with it either, it sounds alright.

Now playing: GTA:VC, Warcraft III, and some old school Unreal Tournament, and OUTPOST 2!!
!