Weirdest Thing I've Ever Seen My Computer Do

Ever since I've attached my new hard-drive (I now have two identical models, both 40GB Maxtor 5T040H4), I'm unable to boot from my CD-ROM (the two hard-drives are connected to IDE channel 1, the CD-ROM is by itself on IDE channel 2). Every time it attemps to boot from the CD-ROM I get the error message "cannot boot from CD, unable to find NTLDR." This might be helpful if I knew what NTLDR stood for... Very strangely, if I press CRTL+H while it's attempting to boot, it works fine (I found this out by pure luck... it's the only way I could re-install Windows XP).

I tried disconnecting the second hard-drive to see if it would reverse the problem, but it didn't. I also reset the CMOS and that didn't fix the problem either.

My mainboard is an ABIT KG7, and I'm not sure what kind of CD Drive I have, but under Device Manager, Windows XP calls it a "E-IDE CDROM 36X/AKW".

If you have any idea what can cause this kind of bug, or if you happen to know what "NTLDR" stands for, just reply to this message or send me an e-mail sometime, I'm very grateful for any help I can get about this.
2 answers Last reply
More about weirdest thing computer
  1. NTLDR stands for NT loader. As for the problem, did you try rearranging the boot sequence within the BIOS yet?

Undeniable facts #12:
    Wisdom follows stupidity like a bitch.
  2. I've tried re-arranging the boot order several times... but I really need the CD-ROM to come before any of the HDDs for it to boot from CD when I want it to (otherwise it'll ignore the CD cause it'll find a working HDD). This doesn't seem to have fixed the problem....

I think the problem has to do with my Master Boot Record. A while back, I had FreeBSD loaded on my computer, and I had it overwrite the MBR so that I could choose to run either Windows or FreeBSD at startup... Then I formatted the drive with FreeBSD on it, and re-installed Windows after that.

I'm not sure how re-installing windows affects the Master Boot Record, but I know for a fact that my MBR isn't the "usual" windows MBR. I suspect that fixing the MBR will fix my problem. However, I'm not sure at all how to do this, and clearing the CMOS wasn't the solution.
Ask a new question

Read More

DVD Drives Boot CD-Rom Hard Drives Storage