How can I find filenames containing spaces?

My client cannot handle files with filenames containing spaces... How can I
search for these? The spaces are in different parts of the filenames so I
cannot figure it out. Can you search for a "space" character? When I try
this, it returns all folders and files (many not containing spaces in
filenames)

Jon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2003

Put the search expression in quotes

eg
"I contain spaces"

Jon

"Max Kashner" <MaxKashner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My client cannot handle files with filenames containing spaces... How can
> search for these? The spaces are in different parts of the filenames so I
> cannot figure it out. Can you search for a "space" character? When I try
> this, it returns all folders and files (many not containing spaces in
> filenames)

I am not looking for the word "spaces", I am looking for filenames containing
a space character (whitespace), as in the thing you put between words when
you are typing.

"Jon" wrote:

> Put the search expression in quotes
>
> eg
> "I contain spaces"
>
> Jon
>

> "Max Kashner" <MaxKashner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My client cannot handle files with filenames containing spaces... How can
> > search for these? The spaces are in different parts of the filenames so I
> > cannot figure it out. Can you search for a "space" character? When I try
> > this, it returns all folders and files (many not containing spaces in
> > filenames)

Jon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2003

Ignore that post

Jon

"Jon" <Email_Address@SomewhereOrOther.com> wrote in message
> Put the search expression in quotes
>
> eg
> "I contain spaces"
>
> Jon

Jon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2003

start > run > cmd

dir *" "*.* /s

Jon

"Max Kashner" <MaxKashner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My client cannot handle files with filenames containing spaces... How can
> search for these? The spaces are in different parts of the filenames so I
> cannot figure it out. Can you search for a "space" character? When I try
> this, it returns all folders and files (many not containing spaces in
> filenames)

Thanks! That worked great.

Max Kashner wrote:

> My client cannot handle files with filenames containing spaces... How can I
> search for these? The spaces are in different parts of the filenames so I
> cannot figure it out. Can you search for a "space" character? When I try
> this, it returns all folders and files (many not containing spaces in
> filenames)
Hi,

My suggestion:

Do your search with Agent Ransack (free)

Download it from here:
http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/default.aspx

Then, in the File name field, just fill in a space to search for files
with spaces in the file name.

Alternatively, in a command prompt, the following command will find
all files with spaces in the file name (will cover all files in the
C: drive). The output will be redirected to the text file C:\Files.txt

dir c:\"* *" /S /A-D /B >C:\Files.txt

the 1328 page Scripting Guide: