uninstalled program won't reinstall

June 9, 2005 3:44:08 PM

I installed some software and then uninstalled it.
When I try to reload it, an error message says
"C:\WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/AUTOEXEC.NT. System file not suitable for MS-DOS or
Windows applications." And it forces me to close the attempt to run the
application.
It used to run just fine.
I don't have any idea what to do about it. The software isnt faulty-it runs
on other computers.
Any suggestions?
June 9, 2005 5:17:56 PM

mamanti wrote:

> I installed some software and then uninstalled it.
> When I try to reload it, an error message says
> "C:\WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/AUTOEXEC.NT. System file not suitable for MS-DOS or
> Windows applications." And it forces me to close the attempt to run the
> application.
> It used to run just fine.
> I don't have any idea what to do about it. The software isnt faulty-it runs
> on other computers.
> Any suggestions?

Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit
Windows-based program
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=324767

Also can be caused by a Trojan installing a file windupdater.exe and
creating registry entries for that file.
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=5f6f139.0409140618...

AVAST (free antivirus software) can be the cause if SP2 is installed:
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=8PCdnSzBqtmadsPcRV...

You can put back the standard version of autoexec.nt by copying a backup
copy held in windows\repair to windows\system32.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

mamanti wrote:

> I installed some software and then uninstalled it.
> When I try to reload it, an error message says
> "C:\WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/AUTOEXEC.NT. System file not suitable for MS-DOS or
> Windows applications." And it forces me to close the attempt to run the
> application.
> It used to run just fine.
> I don't have any idea what to do about it. The software isnt faulty-it
> runs on other computers.
> Any suggestions?
Hi,

Your autoexec.nt problem is most likely caused by a worm or if you have
WinXP SP2 and AVAST (antivirus software) installed, it also can cause
this error.

To solve the problem:

Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit
Windows-based program
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767

Alternatively:

You can put back the standard version of autoexec.nt/config.nt by
copying a backup copy held in %windir%\repair\ to %windir%\system32\
(%windir% is typically C:\Windows) instead of using the procedure in
the KB article above (see further down for instructions on how).

Could be caused a trojan or something similar, e.g.
TrojanDownloader.Win32.Dia.a, more about this here:
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=5f6f139.0409140618...

Also, AVAST (antivirus software) can be the cause if you
have WinXP SP2 installed:
http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=8PCdnSzBqtmadsP...

If you want to copy the file from the repair folder, you can use
this procedure:

Open a command prompt, using e.g. Start/Run --> cmd.exe

In the command prompt, type in the following two commands exactly as
you see them in this post (you need to press enter for each command
to execute them):

cd /d %windir%
copy repair\autoexec.nt system32\*.*

Here is a "screen dump" from how it looks when I do it on my computer:

C:\>cd /d %windir%

C:\WINDOWS>copy repair\autoexec.nt system32\*.*
1 file(s) copied.

the 1328 page Scripting Guide: