New PC Locking Up - RAM Related ??

blkfire

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2003
I built a pc 4 days ago. It's not the first one I've built but I have never had this problem before.

AMD 2800+ barton @ 2.07
ASUS A7V8X-X mainboard
2 120 gig Maxtor HDD
1 gig pc3200 ram
ATI AIW 9600 Pro 128 AGP

When I load windows xp pro the pc runs great. I can play many 3D games and watch TV through the AIW card - no errors - processor is around 42c at idle and 53 when playing call of duty. At random times the pc locks up - no error message, sometimes no programs are even running. The only way to get back out is to reboot upon which XP loads up to just before the welcome screen and hangs - forever. If I power down the system for a few minutes and try again it works fine. I've tried reinstalling windows on another hd - same thing. It seems to me like some sort of memory issue. I've tested both banks together and separate using memtest86 and by using the pc with only one bank in windows. It seems to lock up doing simple things like opening folders.

So far I've removed extra hardware and installed all of the updated drivers but I still get lockups. Here are some stats from the asus probe utility

mb - 27 C
cpu - 46.5 C

Vcore 1.62
3.3V - 3.26
5V - 4.81v
12V - 11.7V

I also ran the Prime95 torture test and it ran for 12 hours with no errors. Peak temp was 56 C

In the bios I set the core voltage to 1.70 which give me 1.66 to when I run asus probe. When it was set to 1.65v the core voltage was 1.62 The spec on the cpu is 1.65v

I also checked all of the syslog entries - nothing out of the ordinary in there, just a couple of w32time errors.

I'm out of ideas. Any thoughts?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by blkfire on 12/16/03 11:39 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Did the ram pass memtest?

It could be a power issue. I had some problems with my new right locking/crashing at stock voltage. I just upped it to 1.70 V and it runs great now.

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.

blkfire

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2003
The ram does pass memtest both individually and together.
I did up the core voltage already.

It has to be the ram. I'm going to try a new stick later.