Problems with DTS 96/24 on Denon AVR-2805

Last response: in Home Audio
November 26, 2004 7:22:17 PM

Hi All,

I've just bought (and am slowly getting to grips with...) a Denon
DVD-2910 universal player and a Denon AVR-2805 receiver. I've been
feeding them with a selection of CDs, DVD-As, DVD-Vs and SACDs, and on
the whole am pretty pleased with the results.

However, this evening I put on Peter Gabriel's new "Play" compilation
DVD-A, which is one of the first releases to use DTS 96/24. Sure
enough, the receiver indicated it was receiving a 96/24 signal, and
started playing. However, it was playing *extremely quietly* -
according to the Denon's volume control, it was around 30dB below the
volume that was produced by using the external analogue feeds from the
DVD player (which isn't 96/24 compatible).

Turning the volume up to a comfortable level, the amp's volume control
was around the 0dB mark - this is only necessary with this one disc,
only in DTS mode, and only if I use the digital link from the DVD
player. I've tried the disc in my portable DVD player feeding the
digital input on the receiver, and exactly the same thing happens - so
it isn't the DVD player causing the problem.

Has anyone else observed this phenomenon? Is it a) a problem with Mr.
G's use of 96/24 (unlikely), or b) a problem with Denon's
implementation of 96/24 (possible - I suspect it may be common to all
models of this receiver rather than a fault with mine) or c) just the
way Denon have decided to handle 96/24? I've read the Denon manual
from cover to cover and can find no mention of this behaviour - but
then again, Denon's documentation is pretty dreadful, so that doesn't
come as any surprise...

Any advice gratefully received!

Thanks,

Simon

PS Are there any other DVD-As out there which use DTS 96/24 I can try?
Anonymous
November 28, 2004 9:50:23 PM

Simon Long <simon@longnews.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi All,

> I've just bought (and am slowly getting to grips with...) a Denon
> DVD-2910 universal player and a Denon AVR-2805 receiver. I've been
> feeding them with a selection of CDs, DVD-As, DVD-Vs and SACDs, and on
> the whole am pretty pleased with the results.

> However, this evening I put on Peter Gabriel's new "Play" compilation
> DVD-A, which is one of the first releases to use DTS 96/24. Sure
> enough, the receiver indicated it was receiving a 96/24 signal, and
> started playing. However, it was playing *extremely quietly* -
> according to the Denon's volume control, it was around 30dB below the
> volume that was produced by using the external analogue feeds from the
> DVD player (which isn't 96/24 compatible).

> Turning the volume up to a comfortable level, the amp's volume control
> was around the 0dB mark - this is only necessary with this one disc,
> only in DTS mode, and only if I use the digital link from the DVD
> player. I've tried the disc in my portable DVD player feeding the
> digital input on the receiver, and exactly the same thing happens - so
> it isn't the DVD player causing the problem.

Have you fed it any *other* DTS soundtracks (many movies have them)?
Are they also quiet? If so,
you probably need to calibrate your DTS speaker level settings to match
those of other formats.
!