msgj.exe-bad image

For some time now I have been having to deal with the following popup:

The application or dll C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ipvi32.dll is not a
valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation
diskette.

So far I have gone in and deleted this file only to have it reappear over
and over.
I have re-loaded Windows XP to no avail--the popup keeps coming. Bad thing
is I am trying to study to become a Medical Tanscriptionist and it is very
distracting.

Judi S. Crawford
Jackson, MS
1 answer Last reply
More about msgj image

    judijudijudi5483@bellsouth.net wrote:

    > For some time now I have been having to deal with the following popup:
    >
    > The application or dll C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ipvi32.dll is not a
    > valid Windows image. Please check this against your
    > installation
    > diskette.
    >
    > So far I have gone in and deleted this file only to have it reappear
    > over and over.
    > I have re-loaded Windows XP to no avail--the popup keeps coming. Bad
    > thing is I am trying to study to become a Medical Tanscriptionist and
    > it is very distracting.
    >
    > Judi S. Crawford
    > Jackson, MS

    You have malware on your computer and need to clean it up. Here are
    general removal steps - do everything with updated tools in Safe Mode.

    First delete all Temporary and Temporary Internet Files. For IE's
    Temporary Files, go to Control Panel>Internet Options>General tab.
    You'll see where you can delete cookies and files. For Firefox, clear
    its cache by going to Tools>Options>Privacy>Cache> Clear. For Windows
    Temporary files, Start>Run cleanmgr [enter]. Then follow these detailed
    malware removal steps, doing everything with updated tools in Safe
    Mode. You can find all the links to referenced programs and sites on
    my website here:

    1) Scan in Safe Mode with current version (not earlier than 2004)
    antivirus using updated definitions.

    Before you remove malware, get LSPFix or WinSockFix for XP - see links
    below.

    2) Remove spyware with Spybot Search & Destroy and Ad-aware. These
    programs are free, so use them both since they complement each other.
    There is a new version of CWShredder from Intermute. I would not
    install the other Intermute programs, however. Alternately, there are
    CoolWebSearch malware removal steps at SilentRunners.

    Be sure to update these programs before running, and it is a good idea
    to do virus/spyware scans in Safe Mode. Make sure you are able to see
    all hidden files and extensions (View tab in Folder Options).

    If the malware remains even after you used Ad-aware and Spybot, you can
    scan with HijackThis. HijackThis is an excellent tool to discover and
    disable hijackers, but it requires expert skill. See the links on my
    website for a HijackThis tutorial and places where you can post your
    HJT log. Again, this is an expert tool and novices should get help
    with it.

    3) If you are running Windows ME or XP, you should disable/enable System
    Restore after the system is clean because malware will be in the
    Restore Points. With ME, you must disable System Restore completely.
    With XP, you can delete all but the most recent (presumably clean)
    System Restore point from the More Options section of Disk Cleanup
    (Run>cleanmgr).

    4) Make sure you've visited Windows Update and applied all security
    patches. Do not install driver updates from Windows Update.

    5) Run a firewall.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers