PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA after new hd install

inmehd

Distinguished
May 8, 2001
Hello. Today, I tried to install an additional harddrive in my machine and I've run into a couple problems.

Before installing, I had two drives: a 120 gig drive as the master on the Primary IDE and a 30 gig as a slave on the same channel. What I wanted to do was replace the 30 with a new 200 gig Maxtor drive I picked up cheap.

After the hardware installation, I boot up the machine. At this point, there are no problems...the BIOS was able to auto-detect the drive and the machine then begins to start Windows XP. From here, it will get to my desktop. Then, the "new hardware found" icon appears in the systray. Before it can finish setting it up, however, I get a blue screen with a "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA". The machine then proceeds to reboot. After a reboot, it does the same thing. I've tried booting to save mode but the same thing happens.

I don't think it's a hardware problem because it will sit in the BIOS configuration infinitely.

One thing that it might be is a problem with a Belkin 3-port firewire PCI card that I installed recently. Sometimes, when I use it, I get the same errors.

Does anyone have any suggestions about what I should do? Any help would be appreciated.

tjchino

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2003
i had some similar problems - not with adding a hard drive - but with a new build. i discovered that if i relaxed the memory timings, the errors went away. worth a shot.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It sounds like a power problem, when the new drive kicks in or you use the firewire card, you might be pushing your power supply so hard that the RAM voltage drops, causeing RAM errors.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

inmehd

Distinguished
May 8, 2001
Hm. Well, my power supply is a 550 watt Antec. Shouldn't this be sufficient?

If it truly is a power problem, what would you suggest doing to rectify this?

Thanks.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Definately. I guess you'll have to try the other suggestion of using slower memory timings and see if that helps.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

inmehd

Distinguished
May 8, 2001
Well, I got it figured out. After trying all the things mentioned here and some other things, on a hunch, I decided to boot from the Maxtor installation disc and set it up that way. Predictably, it worked. There must be something about Maxtor hds that disallow using the Windows wizard setup function.

I swear, it's always the most obvious thing.

Either way, thanks for all the help.

srg

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2002
Interesting

I replaced my 30GB Maxtor fireball 3 Slave hard disk with an 80GB Maxtor DiamondMax 9 Serial ATA hard drive, then used the wizard in Disk Management (I have WinXP) to set it up. I've had no troubles what so ever.

I don't have any maxtor setup disk because I bought my drive OEM.

Could be your memory timings, or a DIMM has gone dodgy.

Hope This helps!

I have viewed this site on my Am386DX-40! it works!!

inmehd

Distinguished
May 8, 2001
Hm. Well, it's working fine now so I'm not inclined to try anything further. Plus, I talked to my cousin and he said that he had the same problem with his drive. Whenever he tried to use the wizard, his system would reboot.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
<""It sounds like a power problem... when the new drive kicks in.."">

LOL, mr. Crashman as usual, gg, where and when does THAT happen.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
AT boot the spinnup draws a lot of juice, why you access it, it draws a little more juice than at idle.