Hypersonic Aviator EQ7...who the hell has one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daajester

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
I ordered mine back in april...dual 512 gtx, 2gb mushkin(which isnt an option anymore), the 2.4?ghz cpu(the one step below the 2.63 one), 200gb dual 100gb hdd, 1920x1200 screen.

I was told it shipped to me on Tuesday..Im in Afghanistan atm so it may take a while till I recieve it...Im just curious has anyone recieved theirs yet and if so ...how does it compare to the hype it got. Just curious for an actual hands on opinion on this system as I am anticipating its arrival for solid gaming...and if I need to order any kind of replacement/addition for anything I want to know now so I can have it enroute.

I saw a lot of posts that proclaim it to be "the holy shit" but none from anyone that actually has laid hands upon it as of yet lol. I was considering upgrading the cpu the highest one they offered but wasnt sure the price jump was worth the performance increase that may or may not come of it .

Also Iwas curious about the 4gb ram option...I had mine shipped with xp pro so that the sli would work...it says you need a 64bit os to get the 4gb option to work properly. I am also aware that xp put out a 64bit version, is it worth patching/reinstalling/upgrading(whatever the hell I would have to do) to get it running in 64bit mode ..or would it be better to just wait for vista/nvidia to get their act together and release solid sli drivers for notebooks and then upgrade to vista 64bit version ?

Again thanks to any who have any sort of input on this system,
Bored As hell soldier in Afghanistan.....minus his shiny new 55lb (joking)notebook :D

daajester

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Ok update :D I just got this thing in the mail...quite quickly actually considering it flew nearly all the way around the world to Afghanistan.

First thoughts: Wow....wow... just freakin wow. I pulled it outa the package got it set up on a lian li 17in notebook cooler pad and after a few mins realized the damn windows key was underneath the laptop...after that everything was smooth sailing...this thing even unpainted looks sleek and sexy.

I had a few worries about heat buildup, well I ran this baby for about 8hrs today pushing out Elder Scrolls oblivion set to 1920x1200 4xanti-aliasing, everything turned up to max,sadly no hdr lighting with anti- boooo damn nvidia. No problem though...it ran that game with zero hicups and the air coming out the back of the laptop was surprisingly not that hot at all ...I was half expecting a blow torch out the back...it could be the 4 fans that run along the width of the notebooks underside that help it stay cool.

Sound: I am a home theatre nut of sorts, so needless to say I have never been impressed with laptop speakers, these are actually quite good very good clarity and they can actually get quite loud and maintain that same clarity.

Speed: Even at 2.4ghz (two steps down from the top cpu offered) this thing blazes, and it is damn quite, loads programs very fast as well....yet again I expected the jet engine noise to come from its cooling dept. but that never happend...it just runs quite and moderately warm...would I put it in my lap probably not, its heavy, and well probably warmer than you would want in your lap...but its far from melt your windbreakers to your legs hot.

Overall: I ran both Stalker and Oblivion at maxd out everything and this thing outperforms pcs Ive seen...granted cant wait for the dx10 cards to hit the upgrade market and surpass the 7950gtxs but this is a serious gaming laptop,nay desktop replacement....battery life is the sacrifice, as is.

Im almost dissapointed that no one is giving it the due cred it deserves...It was offered before alienwares craptastic offer ...and for less...the alienware 9750, as far as I can tell, runs the core2 laptop cpu and the eq7 runs the desktop version cpus and it offers faster ...alot faster. I believe the alienware peaks at 2.13ghz and sadly no gtxs(im almost positive you could not choose them). This setup from Hypersonic, the one I got is the 2.4ghz same specs across the board cept vid cards ...which are also better in the eq7,I paid 3800. For the same setup 9750 you pay almost 700 dollars more for a slower machine with next to no upgrade options, vid cards aside. I can still throw 2 more gbs or ram and up the cpu to the quadcore deal they offer ...it only accepts a limited type of desktop cpus so no you couldnt just go cram the biggest quadcore intel chip in there unfortunately...or maybe you could but im not sure the board would recognize or your system wouldnt blow up or something equally bad. At any rate I figure its money well spent ...now nvidia needs to get off its ass and offer those damn mobile dx10 cards to everyone that doesnt want to buy a prefab pc.
Jess
ps yeah the whole santa rosa thing...im sure there is an argument or link to follow that shows how I coulda got similar pc cheaper somewhere...maybe so maybe no...but I have mine now in my hands not on a list to be built.

Congrats, it truly is a monster of a computer.

Not arguing any of your points, just clearing some stuff up and yes it may seem like nit-picking, but don't mind it. If I sound like I am defending Alienware, stow that though, I hate them with a passion.

:arrow: They do offer dual 7950GTXs
:arrow: They do only offer the Core2 mobile chips, but up to 2.33 not the 2.13 you mentioned.
:arrow: The only thing Santa Rosa would offer you is the new X7800 chip and better battery life, but nothing special so no I won't post a link.
:arrow: Don't expect 8800m's until late this year and even then, don't be disappointed if they are NOTHING like their desktop counterparts. Sure they will be better than the 7950s but They won't set records like the desktop cards did.

That's all I'll say. Don't take any of this as an attack. Just pointing some stuff out for the non-informed readers. Any interest in giving us some benchies? Have fun fragging people into next Wednesday.

daajester

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Ok I stand corrected...never did like being the one to disseminate bad info.
I just checked alienwares site and yes they do in fact offer the 7950gtx's and yes they do offer the 2.33ghz(mobile chip). With that said I then decided to build an identical alienware version of the hypersonic one I bought...with a slower cpu and roughly the same thing accross the board vid cards..check...2gb ram...check....2year service...check...1920x1200 screen...check. Actually I think they altered their prices a little bit it came in at 3600 dollars vs the 3800 I paid from hypersonic.

I would imagine the alienware would get a longer battery life and I do believe its just a tad lighter, however for that extra 200 i got a desktop cpu that is faster period. Also I did not notice a 3rd hard drive option for the alienware...I can fit a 3rd hard drive yet in my hypersonic should I feel the need to ...So they are very close in price...the only difference is the alienware then comes nearly maxed out with only ram and dx10s to replace and the option I went with has a little more life left in it down the road for potential upgrading. Yeah I will wait and see how the whole dx10 pans out for laptops...I have a funny feeling nvidia will try and milk it with bringing out slower ones first..but hey who knows.

As for benchmarks...actually I feel a little stupid....forgot to bring the damn software.....guess I will have the wife mail that to me as well and as soon as I get some benchmark results I will be more than happy to post em. Downloading anything out here takes to damn long and the only thing I can really do on the govts pcs is check email etc....sadly no downloading :(

Oh one more afterthought I did notice that after not a whole lot of use the area above the cd drive where your left hand tends to rest gets rather warm ... makes me wonder how long the cd drive will last if it runs that hot while running a game...maybe thats a laptop issue in general I dont know this being my first one.

guillermozuniga

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2008
Hypersonic EQ7 Brakes After Couple of Months

Spent $4,585 on this machine. It came incomplete. Ordered dual video card and they only sent one. They sent me the second one later. Opened it and it was dusty and used. Couple of months later the whole thing brakes. Won't start. Won't even make a sound.

Hypersonic's answer?

No their problem.

Conclusion - never buy from these guys. They don't know how to build computers and how to run a business.

Warned.

Very disappointed customer.

Status
Not open for further replies.