A great non-OSI shard looking for new players.

Fyrewind is a non-OSI shard, we're not related to OSI and we're totally
free to play. Our servers are a much higher quality than OSI and the
world is actually an enjoyable place. Unlike the official servers where
theres a house with 50 vendors every 2 feet, you actually have some
legroom here. This server is not meant at all to duplicate the real
server in anyway, it's meant to be a whole new type of game.

About us:
Welcome to the new Fyrewind, a shard designed to be top of it's class!
We're filled with custom items, NPCs, colors, houses, and almost
everything you could ever think or even dream of. Unlike most servers
we don't give a dozen GM skills away, let people become a demi-god in 2
weeks or make the shard so easy it's no challenge. Simply put, our
server is hard and that's how we want it.

On many other shards the world is only half decorated, buildings are
totally empty... some without even a door, you see one npc wondering
around in an empty store and half the world isn't spawned. Our world is
fully spawned and decorated (to the max.) Every room regardless of
whether it's a bank, a tailor, or just a random static house in the
world, is decorated and spawned.

We are a non-pk server. You hear people rant "PK'ing is part of the
game!" Yes. It is part of the game, but who says it's a good part of
the game? This is a totally non-PK shard. If you don't like non-PK
that's tough. We will never allow pk'ing of any kind outside of guild
wars and mutual duels. PK'ing is NOT fun, It makes people angry and
makes them afraid to use their good items because they are afraid
someone will PK them and take it. We are a non-PK shard, period.

We are fully legit. There is no cheating on our server, period. We
won't give you any GM stats, we wont give you any items, we wont give
you any skills, we wont give you 1 GP. We won't give you anything.
Don't ask.

We can't wait to see you playing in our world, Fyrewind welcomes every
class of player, from people whom have never played, to players who
have played since UO was released, 7 years ago.

We're always looking for good honest players, if you're interested head
off to http://fyrewind.rayvolution.net and sign up.

-Admin Ray
Fyrewind Shard Administrator
http://fyrewind.rayvolution.net

There is a complete download, but, the way the shard is designed you
require the new client and login files we offer to login.

To keep your old UO still functional if you do not like Fyrewind is to
download the Regular Package, backup the client file, login.cfg and
muls and copy in the new ones

That way, if you want to change shards, you can simply delete the
Fyrewind files and place back your hold files.

Another option is to backup your entire folder, and just use our full
package, thats an easy way to get the game running with no errors, if
you don't like it, just delete the full package and copy back your old
files to their original location.

-Admin Ray
Fyrewind Shard Administrator
http://fyrewind.rayvoluton.net

There is no open source version of Ultima out, the "full" download is a
totally customed version of the game with custom multi files (for new
player housing) new hues files (for new custom colors) new art files
(new artwork) and the new client (hex edited version of the original
Client 2.0.0b).

The goal of the full download was to give players an easy way to login
and play, all they have to do is download it and run it. Everything is
preconfigured for use on Fyrewind. If you already own Ultima the best
option is either Full-Patch (this will modify the exsisting game) or
Regular that only has the core files required.

"Rayvolution" <ray@rayvolution.net> wrote in news:1122835546.707430.184370
@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> Fyrewind is a non-OSI shard, we're not related to OSI and we're totally
> free to play.

Hmmm sounds alot like the one I play on now. But I have to admit that alot
of your features are what drew me there. I might stop by for a look.

Gandalf Parker

"Rayvolution" <ray@rayvolution.net> wrote in news:1122835546.707430.184370
@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> We are fully legit

How are you offering the download of a full featured client?

And why would you post here if you dont offer a package for people who dont
WANT to replace their client and lock it into your site only?

Gandalf Parker

"Rayvolution" <ray@rayvolution.net> wrote in news:1122843939.431766.226600
@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> There is no open source version of Ultima out, the "full" download is a
> totally customed version of the game with custom multi files (for new
> player housing) new hues files (for new custom colors) new art files
> (new artwork) and the new client (hex edited version of the original
> Client 2.0.0b).

So what you are saying is that its an illegal copy?
And you posted here? With real traceable headers?

Gandalf Parker

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 22:51:39 GMT, Gandalf Parker
<gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites> wrote:

>"Rayvolution" <ray@rayvolution.net> wrote in news:1122843939.431766.226600
>@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
>
>> There is no open source version of Ultima out, the "full" download is a
>> totally customed version of the game with custom multi files (for new
>> player housing) new hues files (for new custom colors) new art files
>> (new artwork) and the new client (hex edited version of the original
>> Client 2.0.0b).
>
>So what you are saying is that its an illegal copy?
>And you posted here? With real traceable headers?
>
>Gandalf Parker

Oh for crying out loud. If EA cared about the home grown shards they
would have taken action years ago. They don't care about downloadable
clients either because that's not where the money comes from.

You're constantly pushing your private shard. Why are you giving this
guy such a hard time?

Reg LeCrisp - Atlantic

<snipity...>
> Oh for crying out loud. If EA cared about the home grown shards they
> would have taken action years ago. They don't care about downloadable
> clients either because that's not where the money comes from.
<snip>
> Reg LeCrisp - Atlantic

Don't care about DLable clients? Since WHEN?!? *gasp*

ftp://largedownloads.ea.com/pub/uo/

ftp://largedownloads.ea.com/pub/demos/uose/

Oh, right, since then...

*rolls eyes at silly EA*

--
psz

Reg LeCrisp <x@x.x> wrote in news:8bqqe1ld07i00pk7gdlr8r9pi0t6dbsojg@
4ax.com:

> Oh for crying out loud. If EA cared about the home grown shards they
> would have taken action years ago. They don't care about downloadable
> clients either because that's not where the money comes from.

The shards are open source software altho there is some questionable use of
library files. The clients are still sold software so whether or not its a
big deal is up to EA. Until they say otherwise, any wares of their products
will (and should) be treated as wares.

> You're constantly pushing your private shard. Why are you giving this
> guy such a hard time?

Umm I dont have a shard. And I was willing to give this one a look but any
time I see a web page offering downloadable copies of UO:SE it makes me
turn away and check to see if a report should be sent off on it. Pretty
much as any NetCop would I suppose.

Gandalf Parker

"Gandalf Parker" <gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites> wrote in message

> Umm I dont have a shard. And I was willing to give this one a look but any
> time I see a web page offering downloadable copies of UO:SE it makes me
> turn away and check to see if a report should be sent off on it. Pretty
> much as any NetCop would I suppose.

What a cry baby.

"Reg LeCrisp" <x@x.x> wrote in news:V7udnTOH79icL3LfRVn-iw@comcast.com:

> "Gandalf Parker" <gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites> wrote in message
>>
>> Umm I dont have a shard. And I was willing to give this one a look
>> but any time I see a web page offering downloadable copies of UO:SE
>> it makes me turn away and check to see if a report should be sent off
>> on it. Pretty much as any NetCop would I suppose.
>
> What a cry baby.

I dont follow. Why does this make me a crybaby? If anything I would think
the opposite. The responses sound mostly like whining and childlike
reactions.

But in any case, its for EA to decide if its cool or not. I take it for
granted from your response that that the answer is, this isnt something
that will stand up to their examination. Too bad. Sounded like a cool
shard.

Gandalf Parker
--
Get a life? No thanks. Just had one.
Im retired now and get to play games all day.

"Gandalf Parker" <gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites> wrote in message

The original poster started off with a thread advertising his shard. You
started asking questions regarding the shard soon followed by interrogations
like you were an OSI lawyer.

that makes you a cry baby

"Reg LeCrisp" <x@x.x> wrote in news:7smdnaQSUqTHX3LfRVn-tg@comcast.com:

> "Gandalf Parker" <gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites> wrote in message
>
> The original poster started off with a thread advertising his shard.
> You started asking questions regarding the shard soon followed by
> interrogations like you were an OSI lawyer.
>
> that makes you a cry baby

Hmmm Im still not seeing it. I wasnt hurt by it. Maybe if you called me a
NetKKKop.. hmmm no thats too net-kewl. Maybe a snitch.. no thats too
adult. I know, a "tattle-tale". That would make some sense and be more in
line with the "cry baby" thing you keep using. Yeah, change it to "nyaa
nyaa tattle-tale tattle-tale!"

Yes I asked questions both good and bad.
And no Im not an OSI lawyer. But its usually true that any one in a
NetCop position tends to cross-support the same actions in other
jurisdictions. Same as in the real world.

I was given the impression early on that this group took offense to free
shards because they loved OSI and felt the free ones were a violation.
Are you saying that doesnt overlap to warezing the software? In the
strategy newsgroup or the RPG newsgroup, any mention of warez tends to
kick up a response of "Go away. We happen to LIKE games here".

Gandalf Parker

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 21:15:25 GMT, Gandalf Parker scrawled:

> Hmmm Im still not seeing it. I wasnt hurt by it. Maybe if you called me a
> NetKKKop.. hmmm no thats too net-kewl. Maybe a snitch.. no thats too
> adult. I know, a "tattle-tale". That would make some sense and be more in
> line with the "cry baby" thing you keep using. Yeah, change it to "nyaa
> nyaa tattle-tale tattle-tale!"

Ignore the thread from here, the first Reg post was legit, the latter were
the obsessive stalker.

--
http://www.rexx.co.uk

To email me, visit the site.

Rexx Magnus <trashcan@uk2.net> wrote in

> On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 21:15:25 GMT, Gandalf Parker scrawled:
>
>> Hmmm Im still not seeing it. I wasnt hurt by it. Maybe if you called
>> me a NetKKKop.. hmmm no thats too net-kewl. Maybe a snitch.. no thats
>> too adult. I know, a "tattle-tale". That would make some sense and be
>> more in line with the "cry baby" thing you keep using. Yeah, change
>> it to "nyaa nyaa tattle-tale tattle-tale!"
>
> Ignore the thread from here, the first Reg post was legit, the latter
> were the obsessive stalker.

Ahhh ok then.

Gandalf Parker
--
available for email conversations.
Simply write to me at domains such.as

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 16:36:11 GMT, Gandalf Parker
<gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites> wrote:

>Rexx Magnus <trashcan@uk2.net> wrote in
>
>> On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 21:15:25 GMT, Gandalf Parker scrawled:
>>
>>> Hmmm Im still not seeing it. I wasnt hurt by it. Maybe if you called
>>> me a NetKKKop.. hmmm no thats too net-kewl. Maybe a snitch.. no thats
>>> too adult. I know, a "tattle-tale". That would make some sense and be
>>> more in line with the "cry baby" thing you keep using. Yeah, change
>>> it to "nyaa nyaa tattle-tale tattle-tale!"
>>
>> Ignore the thread from here, the first Reg post was legit, the latter
>> were the obsessive stalker.
>
>Ahhh ok then.
>
>Gandalf Parker

If it's not from sympatico.ca it's not the real me. :)

Reg LeCrisp - Atlantic

> Oh for crying out loud. If EA cared about the home grown shards they
> would have taken action years ago. They don't care about downloadable
> clients either because that's not where the money comes from.
>
> You're constantly pushing your private shard. Why are you giving this
> guy such a hard time?
>
> Reg LeCrisp - Atlantic

I think that the fact that they offer a modified copy of the UO client for
download is getting beyond grey and into the black, legal wise. Most free
shards use the unmodified OSI client, not a hacked version of it. Last time
I checked advertising that you reverse engineered or modified copy righted
material is a great way to get it in the rear with both feet by a 900 pound
gorilla. Gandalf was likeing the sound of the shard, and not likeing the
setup. (Which I don't blame him) Of course there is also that fact that
'Modified' files are a great way to get the newest virus.

Jason

Netcop? how bout reporting EA games for liable negligence in customer
service and malicious destruction of data? Who you going to report it to? or
are you just droning? reporting... what does that mean anyway? Your looking
for another word, "stooge". You actually want to present the pretense of a
job that disgusting? (see post "stolen vendors")

"rjack" <R.Jackson108@comcast.net> wrote in

> Netcop? how bout reporting EA games for liable negligence in customer
> service and malicious destruction of data? Who you going to report it
> to?

Im afraid that isnt a net offense. If it was then it would be reported to
the root (admin) of the server, and if that failed to fix things then the
root of the system "uphill" from them (the one that gives them their
connection to the net).

> or are you just droning? reporting... what does that mean anyway?
> Your looking for another word, "stooge". You actually want to present
> the pretense of a job that disgusting? (see post "stolen vendors")

Planning Committees for Internet, SysAdmin for ISPs, Administrator for
servers, Channel Ops for IRC, paid Moderator for web forums and newsgroups.
Whatever you think NetCop is, Ive been. Now I run my own servers.

Gandalf Parker