Newest Expansion

Is the newest expansion not going to be available at EB games and the other
retailers?? I kind of like getting a cd with my game purchases.

Any thoughts or answeres?

Thanks
Paul

Ice

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 21:07:33 -0400, "Paul - Catskills"
<rasputin01@*removethis*adelphia.net> wrote:

>Is the newest expansion not going to be available at EB games and the other
>retailers?? I kind of like getting a cd with my game purchases.
>
>Any thoughts or answeres?
>
>Thanks
>Paul

It will be download only. I did read someplace that if you want
a CD it will cost extra, but you can get one.

Ice

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 21:07:33 -0400, "Paul - Catskills"
<rasputin01@*removethis*adelphia.net> wrote:

>Is the newest expansion not going to be available at EB games and the other
>retailers?? I kind of like getting a cd with my game purchases.
>
>Any thoughts or answeres?
>
>Thanks
>Paul

Apparently not at first. Which begs the question - why does one need to
pre-order it? Can't OSI just offer it with and without the ML bonus item
and let you choose which price to pay? It's not like they have to
manufacture different boxes, etc.

I wonder if we'll have to go get Fileplanet accounts to download it? I
think I will create a bittorrent of it when it comes out if no one else
does.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 10:22:14 GMT, Michael Cecil scrawled:

> Apparently not at first. Which begs the question - why does one need to
> pre-order it? Can't OSI just offer it with and without the ML bonus
> item and let you choose which price to pay? It's not like they have to
> manufacture different boxes, etc.
>
> I wonder if we'll have to go get Fileplanet accounts to download it? I
> think I will create a bittorrent of it when it comes out if no one else
> does.

I wish there was a bit more information about the horse, such as whether
it's going to be like an e-steed (deedable) or if it's perma-bonded or
somesuch. Can't see much point in being given a special preorder steed if
it can go wild/die on you.

--
http://www.rexx.co.uk

To email me, visit the site.

On 4 Aug 2005 10:38:27 GMT, Rexx Magnus <trashcan@uk2.net> wrote:

>On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 10:22:14 GMT, Michael Cecil scrawled:
>
>> Apparently not at first. Which begs the question - why does one need to
>> pre-order it? Can't OSI just offer it with and without the ML bonus
>> item and let you choose which price to pay? It's not like they have to
>> manufacture different boxes, etc.
>>
>> I wonder if we'll have to go get Fileplanet accounts to download it? I
>> think I will create a bittorrent of it when it comes out if no one else
>> does.
>>

>I wish there was a bit more information about the horse, such as whether
>it's going to be like an e-steed (deedable) or if it's perma-bonded or
>somesuch. Can't see much point in being given a special preorder steed if
>it can go wild/die on you.

I refuse to pay the 29.99 which is the price of a real expansion sold
through retailers for a download that'll cost them a nickel in
bandwidth to send me.

If they'd made even the tiniest attempt to share some of the huge cost
savings that a download only release is giving them I'd have gone for
it but as it is I'll wait a few months for the inevitable price
decrease.

Reg LeCrisp - Atlantic

archeon

"Michael Cecil" <macecil@comcast.net> wrote in message
> On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 21:07:33 -0400, "Paul - Catskills"
> <rasputin01@*removethis*adelphia.net> wrote:
>
>>Is the newest expansion not going to be available at EB games and the
>>other
>>retailers?? I kind of like getting a cd with my game purchases.
>>
>>Any thoughts or answeres?
>>
>>Thanks
>>Paul
>
> Apparently not at first. Which begs the question - why does one need to
> pre-order it? Can't OSI just offer it with and without the ML bonus item
> and let you choose which price to pay? It's not like they have to
> manufacture different boxes, etc.
>
> I wonder if we'll have to go get Fileplanet accounts to download it? I
> think I will create a bittorrent of it when it comes out if no one else
> does.

Apparently most of the client-side changes are being trickled out in patch
form, meaning no huge d/l is necessary...as to what happens when you need to
re-install, well that's a different matter. I seem to remember that SE was
like that... the boxed disc contained a virtually unchanged client (though
it screwed some people's setup, IIRC).
Pre-ordering a code seems a little odd, I agree! Maybe next time we will be
able to pre-order a code to pre-order the game etc etc
I'll probably buy one for the account with my craftsmen on, and wait and see
for the others...

Archeon

Archeon

On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 21:41:01 GMT, Archeon scrawled:

> Apparently most of the client-side changes are being trickled out in
> patch form, meaning no huge d/l is necessary...as to what happens when
> you need to re-install, well that's a different matter. I seem to
> remember that SE was like that... the boxed disc contained a virtually
> unchanged client (though it screwed some people's setup, IIRC).

SE is different from AoS - anything pre SE is separated into 2d and 3d
clients. After SE, if you reinstall it's all unified (much to my annoyance
as it takes up an extra 400mb of space that I don't need).

--
http://www.rexx.co.uk

To email me, visit the site.

On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 04:13:18 GMT, Ice scrawled:

> No new areas, just new dungeons, race, monsters, and some new
> craft art work, with new weapons, clothes, and armor. Some new
> house tiles.

That would explain it then. I'd initially thought they'd have been adding
the place where the elves had been hiding all this time, which was obviously
in the dungeons!

--
http://www.rexx.co.uk

To email me, visit the site.

"Rexx Magnus" <trashcan@uk2.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 04:13:18 GMT, Ice scrawled:
>
>> No new areas, just new dungeons, race, monsters, and some new
>> craft art work, with new weapons, clothes, and armor. Some new
>> house tiles.
>
> That would explain it then. I'd initially thought they'd have been adding
> the place where the elves had been hiding all this time, which was
> obviously
> in the dungeons!
>
> --
> http://www.rexx.co.uk
>
> To email me, visit the site.

Well, there are two "towns" for the elves, one an actual town, one a "haven
of misfits and dregs". The actual Town is accessed via a teleporter in
Yew... I guess that's where they were mostly hiding :p

Interesting note, too... You (for the most part) can't just go in a dungeon.
Most of them require you to do something special FIRST (via the new quest
system)

Keeps the newbs out, I guess ;->

--
psz

Ice

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 21:27:25 +0100, "Archeon" <archeon@ukgateway.net>
wrote:

>Plus new crafting abilities (recipes?), and an improvement to bowcraft.
>Maybe tinkering as well, can't remember! At least it may make crafting
>interesting for a while again...it was what I spent the last 'active' year
>of my UO life doing.
>
>Plus I've ofetn roleplayed an elven archer, so...
>
>Archeon

I have an Archer/Fletcher also that will become an Elf when this
all hits the shards. Not sure about the Tailor or Smith. I may
come up with a "true" crafter for the first time with
Tailoring/Smithing/mining/Tinkering, etc all on one character for
my Elf crafter. My Fisher may also become an Elf, so I have
a better chance of getting pearls.

I am starting to look forward to this add-on. I just wish the art
work for the characters was better. I found the art work very
disappointing.

Ice

> I refuse to pay the 29.99 which is the price of a real expansion sold
> through retailers for a download that'll cost them a nickel in
> bandwidth to send me.
>
> If they'd made even the tiniest attempt to share some of the huge cost
> savings that a download only release is giving them I'd have gone for
> it but as it is I'll wait a few months for the inevitable price
> decrease.

Haven't you heard that EA is in trouble since all their recent games are
either delayed or not selling too well. They need to milk every cent from
their current titles. Share holders will always come first. The customers
have little to say.

archeon

"Rick Cortese" <ricortes@earthlink.net> wrote in message

<snipped>

So what are the main differences between EQ and EQ 2? And is WoW just
combat, or is there a crafting side to it? I'm enquiring on behalf of
someone else, who has been relcutant to dip a toe into the murky waters of
MMORPGs: I only really know UO out of the lot, apart from Gulid Wars
(completely different).
All advice gratefully received!

Archeon

On 09 aug 2005 Rick Cortese was heard to say:

Just to pick a little at a couple of nits. :)

> The quest system
> The NPCs
> have a big gold `? over their heads when they have a quest for you
> and a gold `! when you found the next NPC in the quest.
Actually its the quest givers that have the Golden '!' over them,
then when you accept the quest, they get a grey '?'.
Thus you can easily see that a given NPC has you doing a quest
for him which is not finished yet. When the quest is done, the grey
'?' turns golden.
There are also blueish/greenish quest marks, these are for quests
you can do over and over. Usually for reputation rewards.
WoW is divided into factions, some of which are alied into the
'Alliance' (Humans, dwarves, Gnomes and Nightelves) and other
into the 'Horde' (Orcs, Trolls, Undeads, and the beef erhm Tauren)
Alliance and Horde are on unfriendly terms and cannot communicate
with each other except for some basic emotes like /smile /spit
Each character have reputation with each faction which decides
some things about prices at npc's and stuff you can buy. So
for example if you really really really want a riding tiger, then
you need to have a certain amount of reputation with the faction
that uses that for a riding mount (Nightelves)
Usually doing quests for npcs of a certain faction will also earn
you some amount of reputation with them.

> Archery/Bows seem good too. The range at which you can engage an
> enemy is far enough that you can consistantly get 2-3 shots off
> before it gets too close. It usually makes an even battle
> something you can finish with ~1/3 health. I haven't looked into
> bowyering as a trade skill but it is there.

There is no skill currently that enables you to make bows.. Which
is something that is often whined about on the forums..

well I could ramble on, but it *is* the UO group so.. :)

--
John Hinge - shayera / .sPOOn.
On usenet I represent no one but myself.

>> <snipped>

Thanks a lot, that's exactly the sort of thing I needed to know!
cheers

Archeon