Bass with Audigy cards

trunksgt

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2003
I connected my audigy to my sony reciever using the multi-channel in... everything works except for the bass channel, i finally found that if i enable bass redirection in the audigy settings, and set the crossover to 200hz i get bass... i use my klipsch prodmedia sub out of the reciever, but i get a loud hum if i raise the volume too high on the sub
has anyone tried doing this sort of setup? audigy to a reciever and had bass issues?
i'm thinking of buying a regular home theater sub and see if that works any better... rather not have to waste the $400 klipsch though
if anyone knows anything please let me know
thanx

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
$400 for PC speakerz?.. heh, I feel for ya.

for this kind of money you could get decent 10-12 inch self powered sub, 4 very good settlites and a center channel (if you are not as lazy as I am, let me know, I will get you a "plan" for a bestest softest sounding sub there was, takes bout 4 hours to make)

and by the way, through that cr.p out of the window and get a normal sound card.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

trunksgt

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2003
those $400 speakers are better than every other PC speaker system i've listened too... they are amazing.. why should i waste more money on speakers when i can just hook these up to the reciever
the audigy is a nice card.. but creative will never learn to make cards that are easily supported.
i'd get the M-Audio revolution, but i really like the front bay, which is only on the audigy

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
so, you want to say that you are better off with convenience than the quality? heh, that's typical for an american (not as it is a bad thing, me is that way too sometimes ;)

trunksgt

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2003
"better off with convenience than the quality"

what are you talking about? i want nothing but quality!
Klipsch are amazing speakers, so rather than deal with using the devices seperately, i bought a reciever, that way i can hook my comp, tv, dvd to the reciever, and use the klipsch for everything... the problem is that going through the reciever, i get no bass from the audigy
i dont know why this is.... but when i enable the crossover then i do get bass
was thinking of buying a new powered subwoofer thinking maybe that would help, but then i would be completely wasting the klipsch sub

Tweeter

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2003
I have this sort of setup...audigy to a Denon HT reciever and Boston Acoustics Frt/Cen/Rear and a regular home theatre Mirage Sub. When playing games I also need to enable bass redirection in the audigy settings. For DVD Audio or DVD Video discs playback I need to disable bass redirection to obtain balanced LF. Don't know why but this I found works best.
I don't encounter any hum issues as you describe though. The sound is clean and quiet. Must be your sub or ground connections.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
<""what are you talking about? i want nothing but quality!"">

read yer lips

<""but i really like the <b>front bay</b>, which is only on the <b>audigy</b>"">

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
lol, you make absolutely no sense. why do I need a separate receiver if I have a "Klipsch" PC speakers? that kills me. I have MX300, Technics receiver which haz a Sub out with two frequency adjustments for it, 5.1 setup, sub I made myself, and it rocks the apartment I live in. It cost me only 360 bucks for my Bose center and satellites, it has 500W out, which is more than I can handle when watching DVDs. You peopel have to ask a music "guru" before you waste yer money for worthless stuff.

trunksgt

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2003
that front bay happens to be very useful.. i can plug headphones right into it without having to go to the back... can also hook mic or my guitar directly to the front and also not have to deal with back, and have volume control for them right there
before i got reciever i also used the optical in

as for the reciever... yes the klipsch is great, but it only works from 1 source, i now have a tv, dvd, as well as the computer, getting a stand alone reciever was only way i could connect the klipsh speakers to all 3.. and since i had the speakers and they happen to be great ones, why buy more?

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
gg, i feel fo ya, hehehe. if you would use yer brain sells and not the money you could plug simple 3.1 stereo extension cords from the Radio Shack to do just that. optical in does no quality enhancements over the analog (not on the average setup that is) for yer enjoyment, not funny but true. and if you are happy with what you have, why bother reading my crappy writings (crapp that is ;) caz my sub and speakers are better anyway, made by me own self.

BunnyStroker

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
and by the way, through that cr.p out of the window and get a normal sound card.
Uh...are you drunk? The only thing wrong with the Audigy series is the bloatware software package Creative tries to force on you when you install the drivers.

<b>1.4 Ghz AMD T-Bird underclocked to 1 Ghz...just to be safe!</b>

AllenW

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2004
I find it simply amazing how someone can be critial of a Audigy sound card and use Bose speakers, there's not a stereo/HT forum anywhere that hasn't blasted Bose as being way over priced and poor sounding.
There are better sounding cards out there, but not a lot that have the features the Audigy has, ya trade one for the other, least the Klipsch sound like speakers....

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
hehe, I have only center Bose, side ones are JVC, rear KLH, and sub is "blah" made, lol. So, you see, I choose my stuff according to sound quality they produce at the place they should be placed. There are lots of Bose speakers that sound ok, but there are few of them that can't be beaten by anything I have listened to, and believe me, I am over too much peaky for the sound producing things.

yeah, by the way, that is exactly the point why I have no SB cards, their "software" killed my interest in any of them, even if it is sounds ok (yeah, I wish ;}

trunksgt

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2003
geeze man, how the hell can you talk that your so much better off quality wise when you have JVC and KLH speakers?
damn.. talk about crap quality
Audigy is an amazing card hardware wise... the only problem is Creative software on general.. progs suck, drivers suck, support sucks.... cards still always manage to make it worth it to get even over better supported cards

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
<""cards still always manage to make it worth it "">

yep, I hear you, that's why I still am an active user of MX300 card - no progs, no driver support, no support at all, but the card is still "magage to make it worth it.. even over better.. cards"

and I can clearly say that you have no idea what real JVC speakers can produce.

PS: I've spent 5 years in a quire and 3 years in a band singing, we built speakers ourselves, caz there were no good setups at that time at the place I lived for the money we had. you don't have to trust my word, but it really makes not difference to my ability to "hear" things that are coming out of something, and make them come out better for my liking. it absolutely does not mean you will like what I do.

I found a sub for a little over $1000 which I kind of liked, but jee, man, $1000 for a box and a speaker? so 6 hours later I have cost of wood and speaker sub that plays tones at the lowest notes my receiver can give out (20Hz) and does not break the walls like the $1000 one would (no pressure)

talke about "quality"

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
klipsch is not a cheap brand. its better than bose, klh or jvc.
most people (probably including yourself) dont know how to properly setup a non-boxed stereo setup and end up with some ragtag system that never works right nor sounds as good as its potential. Hence the $400 Klipsch system.

building speakers correctly yourself might sound 'ok' to your ears but in no way is a match for a engineered box and sub setup as the real high quality audio equipment like martin logans.
I'm personally not an audiophile but I have rich American friends who are with the above mentioned Martin Logan equipment and other real high quality audio equipment and there is no replacement... especially if you're trying to duplicate it yourself.
I suppose you'd have to be American to know what the almighty dollar can get you in sound quality. You should come here and we will show you what big money and real sound quality is.

A self-styled guru in a garage can not match work of a couple dozen engineers and quality controlled equipment.
Unless you are a sound engineer yourself.

Its not 'just a box and a speaker'.

----
Yeah, thats right. I support the NV/AMD/IBM axis of evil.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
>Its not 'just a box and a speaker'.

As a matter of fact it is, so that is a big mistake, caz ALL speakers ARE just a box and a speaker. BUT what kind of a box and what kind of a speaker IS a difference that you CAN (or me, if you can't) hear. And please, I've listened to the very expansive speakers, they do sound top quality (in our church just one 30inch boombox is over 3 grand), BUT it does not mean I can't build something that sounds as good at least to say. You don't have to tell me about what dollar can get you, caz the most brilliant ideas came not from the dozen of spendy ingeniouess, but from the "garage guru" (you can argue with it as much as you wish;)

I can take 100 bucks speaker, put it into my case, get a $1000+ sub from the store, put you infront of them, and you will gladly say that my cheap one sounds better (note: not louder, even I can make that as well) and gives truer sound.

And by the way, there is no such thing that can tell me the quality of the sound other than my own ears. Caz I don't hear anything above 20Khz or below 20hz, even those super dollar speakers can do more or less.

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
I was simply defending the world of audio 'physics' and how sound quality depends not only on frequency range of 20,000 to 20hz but on many other factors. My logitech z560 sub hits around 40hz but that doesnt make it an equal in sound quality to a real high quality setup simply because it hits low bass or a high range.

Those 'boxes' are usually designed with complex audio properties and physics involved in their design. That is usually matched very scientifically with the speaker (and its design) used with it. It must also be airtight, something I dont trust someone in their garage to do sucessfully, let alone design on par with the engineers from Martin Logan or similar.

If it sounds fine to you then thats all that matters. I have very low standards personally, my cheap logitech speakers are fine.
I also had to defend Klipsch's honor, they are worth every penny they cost. The $400 he spent is actually a good deal considering the quality of his setup and the sound they are able to produce. I'm simply saying that its actually a good value, and generally going to be a better setup than "Joe Somebody's" homemade stereo. Most people dont understand even simple concepts as ohm ratings or the multiple ways to configure an amp to make it 'right'. You may know, but most of us don't.
I am basically saying audio isnt a simple thing when you're talking about professional quality (audiophile) sound, and I leave that to the professionals.. hence the high prices.
You would have to listen to Klipsch to know what we are talking about, their home line is astounding.

----

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
<"You would have to listen to Klipsch to know what we are talking about">

I did, a lot, nothing special, little crisper than the others on the top and middle, but no lows (not that I had to notice, I am a bass freak). Same with the headphones, I have Technics DJ1200 not caz they cost only 190 bucks, but caz they produce the most bass I could hear in the headphones, even there are more expansive ones out there, but to spend 500 and more on a headphones and carry amplifier for them is not my thing, hehe.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
By the way, forgot to mention MS SS-80. It is only 2.1 setup, but it is not what I wanted to say, in my book the highs on satellites from it have not being matched by any ones I've listened so far, and they were only 149.99 at the time.

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
I was referring to the home line of audio from Klipsch.
The computer stuff is decent to great stuff as you said.

----

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
well, as far as I know, anything that you can afford is the best thing you can get at the moment, even there are better ones. it is a never ending road to perfection, you can not reach the limit no matter how much you try, there will always be something better tomorrow.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
what kind of music you listen to, do you like stuff like Ryan Farish plays (bass work is awesome)

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
what kind of music you listen to, do you like stuff like Ryan Farish plays (bass work is awesome)
I have a wide range of interests but I'm a guitar guy.. I play a little bit so I appreciate good work.. along with good song writing of course.

I like the band In Flames, I picked up on them back in '96 with the Colony release. They are one of my favorites.

I also listen to quite a bit of Buckethead. I like his stuff.. experimental but much of his acoustic albums (colma and electric tears) are beautiful works of art in the guitar realm.

I remember seeing him play last year with Guns N Roses (a fave of mine) and he was freaking amazing.

You can catch me listening to some old KMFDM once in a while for fun.

Besides Buckethead, my other favorite guitarist is Zakk Wylde.. though I dont appreciate his songwriting as much as others I have both Black Label Society albums because his skills are amazing.
If I had to say what my main roots are, they'd be Black Sabbath and Ozzy records. Rather than many my age who were weaned on Metallica I couldnt get away from listening to old Sabbath or Ozzy when growing up.

So yea, I'm a rock guy for sure.
I can appreciate all types of music though, I've heard alot of techno (KMFDM is about as close I come though regularly), country (maybe some Kenny Chesney..)and blues (mmmmm.. Texas Floods by Stevie Ray Vaughn).. guess I should pick a rap tune also but I cant think of much.. I suppose Slam by Onyx, yeah its old but the closest I can think of to having a rock attitude.
I used to listen to Tantrics debut CD nonstop for years... that band seriously kicks ass.

I like that new band Jet (cold hard bitch) and the new Korn cd is decent.
But I'm a fan of solos.

I listen to alot of euro-metal like Arch Enemy and the above mentioned In Flames. They still do solos unlike my American comrades.

I highly suggest checking out In Flames if you havent, get the cd Colony.. I'd put my reputation on the line for that CD! :smile:

edit- BTW i havent listend to him, let me know what cd to pickup by him.

----
Yeah, thats right. I support the NV/AMD/IBM axis of evil.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by kinney on 01/28/04 09:21 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

TRENDING THREADS