Sign in with
Your question

Need help comparing laptop CPUs

Last response: in Mobile Computing
February 12, 2008 12:23:44 PM

I am looking to buy a nice new laptop, and I am confused by the difference in the cpu names, the brand types (like Core 2 Duo vs. Core 2 Duo Mobile). I can't seem to find much info on this site for charts or things. Can anyone point me where I can do research on modern laptop CPUs?

More about : comparing laptop cpus

February 12, 2008 2:43:21 PM

Tom's Hardware also has a limited mobile CPU performance chart, that can be found here: http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu_mobile.html

The thing is, big shops like Best Buy tend to be a little liberal in their naming of things, as they add on unofficial buzz words to try to make their products look better, which is just confusing sometimes.
Related resources
February 12, 2008 5:14:49 PM

lostandwandering said:
There aren't many sites that do comprehensive listings for laptops. This article from notebookreview.com may help: http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4247

What specific info are you trying to find?

I am just looking to see which ones perform best for games that I will be playing, also that help fit into my price range for a total laptop.

Basically I need to clarify names and performances of these laptop processors and make some better decisions than "Oh, this is the most expensive one I can put in the laptop".
a b D Laptop
February 12, 2008 6:52:37 PM

If the CPU starts with an E as in E6300, it's a desktop CPU that has been put into a laptop. Theses will give you the best performance but will also cost the most.

In terms of mobile processors, in order from weakest to strongest:
T5***<T7***<T8***<T9***

Avoid the T5000 CPUs (cheapest but at a cost) as they have very low clock speeds and small amounts of cache (not as important). The T8000s and T9000s are the newest ones out of the Penryn line up and will cost you the most.
February 12, 2008 7:00:09 PM

Most mid range laptops you'll find right now have T7XXX processors inside of them, as they offer the best performance/price ratio. However, as the new Penryn line because more mainstream, major companies will start switching over to the T8XXX and maybe even T9XXX processors.

Like LostandWandering said, avoid the T5XXX series, they're basically T7XXX with broken legs.
November 12, 2008 12:50:47 PM

Gaming laptops are a waste of money in my opinion... and I'm sure that I'm not the only one who thinks this...

Save your money. Buy a laptop for your basic needs and keep the desktop for your games!
!