Closed

Task Manager will not open

June 9, 2005 7:46:02 PM

I have a couple of user who can not open thier "Task Manger".
Here is the problem: when you hit Control + Alt + Delete it pops up the
normal window with the options for changing your password, log off, shutdown,
task manager, and so forth; however, when you click on task manager it will
not open.
I have also tried opening the task manager from the taskbar by right
clicking in the taskbar and selecting the task manager, but nothing happens.
I receive no errors when this occurs. Thank you in advance for your help.

More about : task manager open

Anonymous
June 9, 2005 8:24:47 PM

Did you try from the Run menu (taskmgr)

"Christine" <Christine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a couple of user who can not open thier "Task Manger".
> Here is the problem: when you hit Control + Alt + Delete it pops up the
> normal window with the options for changing your password, log off,
> shutdown,
> task manager, and so forth; however, when you click on task manager it
> will
> not open.
> I have also tried opening the task manager from the taskbar by right
> clicking in the taskbar and selecting the task manager, but nothing
> happens.
> I receive no errors when this occurs. Thank you in advance for your help.
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 8:41:05 PM

I did try running from the run menu. Actually on further testing I noticed
that the task manager will work before the logon script finishes executing
but once it finishes then task manager will no longer run. Side note I had
the task manager running before the logon script could finish and I left the
task manager window open and running when the logon script finished it closed
the task manager, and would not allow me to open it back up.

I went into the C:\I386 folder and found the taskmgr.exe and clicked on it
and it will not run under the user stored profile; however, if I right click
and say run as and have the user put in the logon and password taskmanager
will open and run.

"AllenM" wrote:

> Did you try from the Run menu (taskmgr)
>
> "Christine" <Christine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a couple of user who can not open thier "Task Manger".
> > Here is the problem: when you hit Control + Alt + Delete it pops up the
> > normal window with the options for changing your password, log off,
> > shutdown,
> > task manager, and so forth; however, when you click on task manager it
> > will
> > not open.
> > I have also tried opening the task manager from the taskbar by right
> > clicking in the taskbar and selecting the task manager, but nothing
> > happens.
> > I receive no errors when this occurs. Thank you in advance for your help.

June 10, 2005 12:25:12 PM

Just curious. Is taskmgr.exe in the c:\windows\system32 directory?

>I did try running from the run menu. Actually on further testing I noticed
> that the task manager will work before the logon script finishes executing
> but once it finishes then task manager will no longer run. Side note I had
> the task manager running before the logon script could finish and I left
> the
> task manager window open and running when the logon script finished it
> closed
> the task manager, and would not allow me to open it back up.
>
> I went into the C:\I386 folder and found the taskmgr.exe and clicked on it
> and it will not run under the user stored profile; however, if I right
> click
> and say run as and have the user put in the logon and password taskmanager
> will open and run.
>
> "AllenM" wrote:
>
>> Did you try from the Run menu (taskmgr)
>>
>> "Christine" <Christine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a couple of user who can not open thier "Task Manger".
>> > Here is the problem: when you hit Control + Alt + Delete it pops up the
>> > normal window with the options for changing your password, log off,
>> > shutdown,
>> > task manager, and so forth; however, when you click on task manager it
>> > will
>> > not open.
>> > I have also tried opening the task manager from the taskbar by right
>> > clicking in the taskbar and selecting the task manager, but nothing
>> > happens.
>> > I receive no errors when this occurs. Thank you in advance for your
>> > help.

Anonymous
June 10, 2005 4:13:04 PM

Actually it is not it is in the C:\I386 folder

"AllenM" wrote:

> Just curious. Is taskmgr.exe in the c:\windows\system32 directory?
>
> "Christine" <Christine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I did try running from the run menu. Actually on further testing I noticed
> > that the task manager will work before the logon script finishes executing
> > but once it finishes then task manager will no longer run. Side note I had
> > the task manager running before the logon script could finish and I left
> > the
> > task manager window open and running when the logon script finished it
> > closed
> > the task manager, and would not allow me to open it back up.
> >
> > I went into the C:\I386 folder and found the taskmgr.exe and clicked on it
> > and it will not run under the user stored profile; however, if I right
> > click
> > and say run as and have the user put in the logon and password taskmanager
> > will open and run.
> >
> > "AllenM" wrote:
> >
> >> Did you try from the Run menu (taskmgr)
> >>
> >> "Christine" <Christine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
June 10, 2005 4:43:03 PM

Copy it to the system32 folder

> Actually it is not it is in the C:\I386 folder
>
> "AllenM" wrote:
>
>> Just curious. Is taskmgr.exe in the c:\windows\system32 directory?
>>
>> "Christine" <Christine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I did try running from the run menu. Actually on further testing I
>> >noticed
>> > that the task manager will work before the logon script finishes
>> > executing
>> > but once it finishes then task manager will no longer run. Side note I
>> > had
>> > the task manager running before the logon script could finish and I
>> > left
>> > the
>> > task manager window open and running when the logon script finished it
>> > closed
>> > the task manager, and would not allow me to open it back up.
>> >
>> > I went into the C:\I386 folder and found the taskmgr.exe and clicked on
>> > it
>> > and it will not run under the user stored profile; however, if I right
>> > click
>> > and say run as and have the user put in the logon and password
>> > taskmanager
>> > will open and run.

July 23, 2009 6:18:31 PM

I ran into this issue and I was able to resolve it after quite a while. The problem is with a single registry key entry. I am not 100% on the cause of the problem but there is a good chance it is spyware related. Starting a full scan with malwarebytes antispyware is always recommended but you will still remaine with this problem. Remove the following registry key and it will restore normal functionality to the taskmgr.exe

Navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\

Delete Key File: taskmgr.exe

other notes: Renaming the file c:\winnt\system32\taskmgr.exe to c:\winnt\system32\taskmgr2.exe causes windows to copy a backup of the file as this file is protected. The taskmgr2.exe will launch task manager but taskmgr.exe will still fail to launch. This means there is no problem with the file or the system files in general. The problem is the reg key file is adding some kind of extra file execution attribute or parameter that is causing it to fail. Having the taskmgr out of commission with no error and no trail was most likely the desired effect of whoever coded the spyware that caused this in the first place.

-Ken Marks
darkcode_0101 at hot mail dot com
Anonymous
October 27, 2009 1:24:43 PM

Hi, I was having a problem opening the taskmgr also and happened upon this forum. I just wanted to thank you cptsavage - the moment I deleted that registry key task manager would open!
I don't know why I couldn't find that information anywhere else but here.
Thank you so much
-Mikel
October 27, 2009 2:46:25 PM

I'm glad I was able to help. You're very welcome! :)

November 22, 2009 3:44:38 PM

I just got it working for me too. Thanks cptsavage!...Nothing worse than not being able to do the old three finger salute!
December 13, 2009 12:29:54 PM

cptsavage, your an animal :o  ! That was just simply amazing :bounce:  . How you figured that out is just phenomenal :ouch:  . If any of you out there had/have the "Additional Guard" virus, this solution definitely gives you back your Task Manager :sol: . Major props, points, and kudos!

And a big thanks goes out to tom's hardware for letting people post without having to go through a bunch of steps OR create an account :non:  . Oops... spoke to soon :pfff:  . I wish more communities would do that. More people would definitely contribute and we'd all streamline our productivity :hello:  .

-Ralphie³
April 23, 2010 4:12:36 PM

It's amazing that this isn't first result on google. Seems to be THE solution to the problem.

One additions to this though. It looks like the
Debugger="svchost.exe" key may be the culprit.
I had an infected computer with about 30 more of these entries probably created by the virus to disable many antivirus programs.

If you were infected, you may want to check the rest of the entries under Image File Execution Options to see if the also specifyDebugger="svchost.exe".

I haven't confirmed this yet, but I believe they can be deleted.
Anonymous
June 12, 2010 4:50:08 AM

Okay I followed these steps and did not find the taskmgr.exe file in the reg I clicked on each folder under image file execution options and did not find this file. Plz help as I play this game that if it gets minimized I cant bring it back up and have to restart my comp instead of just using task manager.

-Melissa
June 21, 2010 6:42:15 AM

Click Start and select Run. Then type “gpedit.msc” in the command prompt.
Find User Configuration at right side ad click the plus
the same way to select:
Administrative Templates
System
Ctrl+Alt+Del Options
Finally, open Remove Task Manager to restore the program.
more detail from this page
http://www.make-pc-faster.com/fix-task-manager-disabled...
August 20, 2010 1:05:34 PM

I have tried both of these solutions with no avail. The solution that everyone is raving about, mine does not even have that entry to change, it just is not there. Does anybody else have any any other ideas? My computer has been getting slower and now it hangs upon reboot. I have run Spybot, HiJackthis and Avast but still no results.
Anonymous
September 16, 2010 1:37:13 AM

I had to remove about 100 added entries (many of them anti-virus programs) with the debugger svchost.exe disabler. Also this key had to be deleted from install.exe and the Image File Execution Option main folder. So look carefully of all instances of this to get rid of it. Note, it helps to look at the registry of a clean PC.
Anonymous
October 24, 2010 2:36:02 AM

cptsavage, you are golden. I have been working on computers for 24 years and I still cannot seem to get a handle on every nuance of the Windows Registry.

I had completely cleaned Smart Engine, a nasty little Anti-Virus which is actually a virus and for the life of me I was ready to re-burn the machine from factory image files because the Task Manager wouldn't run under normal user conditions.

I was able to reset permissions on locked files, setup startup options to catch and disable roving insertion files... but this little one goes kudos up to you!

I NEVER answer these posts. Thank You.

Anonymous
November 16, 2010 11:42:06 PM

It worked like a charm for me. A BIG THANK YOU for posting this helpful life saver
November 17, 2010 12:12:53 AM

This topic has been closed by Buwish
!