Sign in with
Your question
Closed

How to switch OS to new PC

Last response: in Windows 7
August 5, 2012 9:36:42 AM

Hey I have an old Acer notebook with windows starter on it. I'm getting a new PC next week but it does not have an OS. I heard you could switch an OS from 1 PC to another. I don't mean swap the hard drive. I think your able to switch the product key. If i can how can i do this and will my new PC be good to go?

More about : switch

a b $ Windows 7
August 5, 2012 9:44:25 AM

swapping is only possible if the OS in the system was a retail copy of windows. If its an OEM copy, it is stuck to the motherboard it is on for life(one of the few reasons why there is a price difference between a retail and OEM copy)
Score
August 5, 2012 10:08:07 AM

It was pre-installed on the notebook when I got it so I think its a retail copy
Score
Related resources
August 5, 2012 10:38:33 AM

If your notebook came with a pre-installed version of Windows it is very likely that it is a OEM version that can only be used on that particular notebook.

Score
August 5, 2012 2:03:48 PM

hahawin said:
If your notebook came with a pre-installed version of Windows it is very likely that it is a OEM version that can only be used on that particular notebook.

Yeah turns out its OEM but I have a 12 year old PC that's not OEM but its Windows XP. Can I transfer that too my new PC? If so how do I do it?
Score

Best solution

August 5, 2012 2:37:33 PM

You need to dig up your old windows installation cd and the activation key.
Then you just need to install windows on the new pc.

However there is a problem with that if you have a SATA drive as the windows xp installation cd doesn't have drivers for it.
If you have a SATA drive (which is almost guaranteed ion a new pc) you need to follow this guide: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Install-Windows-XP-On-SA...

I think it's best to remove your windows installation from your old drive (eg by formatting it, however this will also remove any data like pictures and docs) so it won't start bitching about running the same key on 2 machines.

Good luck!
a c 421 $ Windows 7
August 5, 2012 2:53:22 PM

Your copy of Windows is locked to the PC on which you purchased it. You cannot transfer that license to another PC.
You can upgrade any components or peripherals on your PC and keep your license intact. You can replace the motherboard with an identical model or an equivalent model from the OEM if it fails. However, if you personally replace or upgrade the motherboard, your OEM Windows license is null and void.
Score
a c 421 $ Windows 7
August 5, 2012 2:54:30 PM

It was pre-installed on the notebook when I got it so I think its a retail copy < preinstalled is OEM.
Score
August 5, 2012 3:05:31 PM

Best answer selected by IronGecko.
Score
a c 421 $ Windows 7
August 5, 2012 3:06:10 PM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
!