The ultimate tweak

Last response: in Home Audio
December 10, 2004 4:08:50 AM

I have stated before that the ultimate tweak is -- TIME. Last night my
system sounded awful!. It was so bad that I gave up and went to bed.
It sounded shrill and favored the left channel. Today, it sounds fine.
Nothing was changed. Maybe it was the 2 ounces of red wine I had with
supper. Maybe I blew my nose too hard. Maybe I was just tired. At any
rate, I'm glad I wasn't trying some new cables (or anything new) because
I would have gotten an incorrect impression.

---MIKE---

More about : ultimate tweak

Anonymous
December 10, 2004 5:05:24 AM

twinmountain@webtv.net (---MIKE---) wrote:

>I have stated before that the ultimate tweak is -- TIME. Last night my
>system sounded awful!. It was so bad that I gave up and went to bed.
>It sounded shrill and favored the left channel. Today, it sounds fine.
>Nothing was changed. Maybe it was the 2 ounces of red wine I had with
>supper. Maybe I blew my nose too hard. Maybe I was just tired. At any
>rate, I'm glad I wasn't trying some new cables (or anything new) because
>I would have gotten an incorrect impression.
>

> ---MIKE---

I would suggest that 4-6 ounces of Tone Fluid would have worked more
effectively.
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 7:42:29 PM

---MIKE--- wrote:

> I have stated before that the ultimate tweak is -- TIME. Last night my
> system sounded awful!. It was so bad that I gave up and went to bed.
> It sounded shrill and favored the left channel. Today, it sounds fine.
> Nothing was changed. Maybe it was the 2 ounces of red wine I had with
> supper. Maybe I blew my nose too hard. Maybe I was just tired. At any
> rate, I'm glad I wasn't trying some new cables (or anything new) because
> I would have gotten an incorrect impression.

=============================

Makes me wonder if the optimum use of such tweaks as the VPI Magic Brick
would be to let it fall on the listener's head.

-GP
December 10, 2004 8:42:28 PM

"---MIKE---" <twinmountain@webtv.net> wrote in message
> I have stated before that the ultimate tweak is -- TIME. Last night my
> system sounded awful!. It was so bad that I gave up and went to bed.
> It sounded shrill and favored the left channel. Today, it sounds fine.
> Nothing was changed. Maybe it was the 2 ounces of red wine I had with
> supper. Maybe I blew my nose too hard. Maybe I was just tired. At any
> rate, I'm glad I wasn't trying some new cables (or anything new) because
> I would have gotten an incorrect impression.

Age has some benefit. I have found after 50 years of audiophil-ing never to
work on the system other than the morning or early afternoon. Tiredness and
the confusions of the day can create all kinds of variations.
Anonymous
December 11, 2004 7:57:30 PM

>From: Gene Poon sheehans@ap.net
>Date: 12/10/2004 8:42 AM Pacific Standard Time
>
>---MIKE--- wrote:
>
>> I have stated before that the ultimate tweak is -- TIME. Last night my
>> system sounded awful!. It was so bad that I gave up and went to bed.
>> It sounded shrill and favored the left channel. Today, it sounds fine.
>> Nothing was changed. Maybe it was the 2 ounces of red wine I had with
>> supper. Maybe I blew my nose too hard. Maybe I was just tired. At any
>> rate, I'm glad I wasn't trying some new cables (or anything new) because
>> I would have gotten an incorrect impression.
>>
>=============================
>
>Makes me wonder if the optimum use of such tweaks as the VPI Magic Brick
>would be to let it fall on the listener's head.
>
>-GP

I find they work quite well on my subwoofer. No doubt they are reducing the
vibrations of the top part of the cabinet. In my case this does matter. They
look better than conventional bricks too.
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 1:12:06 AM

">Makes me wonder if the optimum use of such tweaks as the VPI Magic Brick
>would be to let it fall on the listener's head.
>
>-GP

I find they work quite well on my subwoofer. No doubt they are reducing
the
vibrations of the top part of the cabinet. In my case this does matter.
They
look better than conventional bricks too."

Use your sub as an equipment rack then, or wrap some bricks in foil.
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 7:13:18 PM

>From: outsor@city-net.com
>Date: 12/11/2004 2:12 PM Pacific Standard Time
>
>">Makes me wonder if the optimum use of such tweaks as the VPI Magic Brick
>>would be to let it fall on the listener's head.
>>
>>-GP
>
>I find they work quite well on my subwoofer. No doubt they are reducing
>the
>vibrations of the top part of the cabinet. In my case this does matter.
>They
>look better than conventional bricks too."
>
>Use your sub as an equipment rack then,

No! I have a very nice looking rack that fits all of my equipment. The
subwoofer would not begin to do that and it would look like hell. I really
don't think a Forsell TT should be stacked onto other equipment that sits on a
subwoofer. Especially tube electronics

>or wrap some bricks in foil.

Why? I have the VPI bricks which IMO look much better than actual bricks
wrapped in foil would ever look. I suspect the VPI bricks may also be a bit
more effective. They are filled with lead you know.
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 7:22:02 PM

<outsor@city-net.com> wrote in message news:cpfrbm02ks9@news1.newsguy.com...
> ">Makes me wonder if the optimum use of such tweaks as the VPI Magic Brick
> >would be to let it fall on the listener's head.
> >
> >-GP
>
> I find they work quite well on my subwoofer. No doubt they are reducing
> the
> vibrations of the top part of the cabinet. In my case this does matter.
> They
> look better than conventional bricks too."
>
> Use your sub as an equipment rack then, or wrap some bricks in foil.

Leave the guy alone. He's told you why he uses them; it is a perfectly
legitimate reason if he prefers their looks over a brick wrapped in foil. A
perfect example of the underlying premise of many objectivists
here...despite all the disclaimers that we are perfectly free to do what we
prefer.
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 7:23:58 PM

---MIKE--- wrote:
> I have stated before that the ultimate tweak is -- TIME. Last night my
> system sounded awful!. It was so bad that I gave up and went to bed.
> It sounded shrill and favored the left channel. Today, it sounds fine.
> Nothing was changed. Maybe it was the 2 ounces of red wine I had with
> supper. Maybe I blew my nose too hard. Maybe I was just tired. At any
> rate, I'm glad I wasn't trying some new cables (or anything new) because
> I would have gotten an incorrect impression.

Your description of your experience, especially the channel balance
difference, makes me suspect your hearing as the primary cause. The
eustachian tubes can cause pressure differences, wax in the ears can
change, atmospheric pressure can influence your clearing of your ears,
etc etc. Maybe could throw in noise factors and your recovery from them.
I am not a physician - just my experience.

Gary Eickmeier
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 10:10:06 PM

I clean the wax from my ears about twice a year (using Debrox and a bulb
with warm water). I also am very careful to always wear ear protection
whenever I use any power equipment. The incident I was referring to
only occurred that one time (recently) although it has happened at other
times in the past. I know my hearing was better in years gone by (I am
75) but I can still hear 10kHz (I have a signal generator that I checked
it with).

---MIKE---
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 7:43:16 AM

In article <cpasv2030rn@news2.newsguy.com>, twinmountain@webtv.net
says...
> I have stated before that the ultimate tweak is -- TIME. Last night my
> system sounded awful!. It was so bad that I gave up and went to bed.
> It sounded shrill and favored the left channel. Today, it sounds fine.
> Nothing was changed. Maybe it was the 2 ounces of red wine I had with
> supper. Maybe I blew my nose too hard. Maybe I was just tired. At any
> rate, I'm glad I wasn't trying some new cables (or anything new) because
> I would have gotten an incorrect impression.
>

> ---MIKE---

I occasionally experience the same scenario. Thus I am extremely leary
of pricey cables, mystery rocks, freezing CDs, and other audio nonsense.

What really matters are items like room acoustics, type and quality of
speakers, and the placement of those speakers. I've also found that, in
many rooms, small changes in the volume (balance) settings can make a
rather substantial change in the characteristic of the reproduced sound.

For example, in tweaking a multi-channel system, I've found that
sometimes an adjustment of just a decibel or two (in one or two
speakers) can make the difference between a well balanced surround sound
field and a virtually non-existent one.

When doing any final tweaking of a system, I always recommend that you
live with your new settings for a few days or more before making any
further changes.

Chris Kantack
http://kantack.com/surround/
!