-/+ what the f*ck is the difference

schmuckpussy

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2003
Can someone please explain to me what the difference is between dvd-rw and dvd+rw! Is it at this moment possible to say which will be the standard or can only the future tell that.

It's the beat that will not be denied

dhlucke

Polypheme
Zyprd....I figured I'd ask here since I'm behind the times.

I just bought a friend a DVD drive that seems to do every format for $100 at newegg. It's what he wanted. Seems like prices have finally dropped. Is there still no consensus on formats though? Is everyone doing all the +/- drives?

My old 8x cd burner is completely useless and I need to get something else.

Where is the technology going?

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
You can get a LiteOn LWD-811S for ~$150. It's an writes to DVD+R at 8x

----------------
<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new">My Website</A></b>

<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new">My Rig & 3DMark score</A></b>

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
They will be cheap someday soon.

And you have always option to burn at 4x and spend extra time instead of money

----------------
<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new">My Website</A></b>

<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new">My Rig & 3DMark score</A></b>

twofruitz

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2003
4x dvd is equivilent to 56x CD rom. its not the actaul speed, its how fast the disk spins.

2.6C @ 3.25G (Zalman 7000AU-ALCU HSF)
ABIT IC7-Max3
2x Kingmax SuperRam 512 DDR433
GeXcube 9800pro @ 450/750
80G Seagate S-ATA150
Antec Super Lanboy w/ 350 Smart Blue PSU

As far as the technical differences, No! But I can share with you what I've learned so far with my actual DVD burning experiences, and it may save you a lot of time and money. If its the + or - format your computer will play it back,(if it can burn it, it can play it), now for component DVD players, that a different story all together, my component DVD player will not playback the + format(neither DVD+R or DVD+RW), but of all the component DVD players I've tried in my family,(4 different name brand units), the DVD-R and DVD-RW format works in all of them.

The DVD-R/RW format was the first format that was marketed, so it makes sense that it would be compatable with pretty much all the existing component DVD players out there.

Make sure the burning speed is marked on the disks you buy also, if you've bought a 4x burner make sure the DVD burning media is labeled for 4x burn speed or your burner will default to 2x on your burning, and take twice as long to burn a disk, thats very important if the DVD-R media you're fixing to purchase is not labeled 4x burn speed, it is 2x.

Make sure you get a burner with buffer underun protection, the disks are too expensive to end up with coasters. If you're running around 512Mb RAM on your computer you can max out the buffers memory use to its maximum value,(Probably 32Mb), for an even greater safe zone, to ensure no failed burns.

Lastly, buy in bulk packs if you can afford to, you'll save a lot of money in the long run.

Hope this helps you out some.

<b><font color=red>HAPPY</font color=red><font color=blue>NEW</font color=blue><font color=orange>YEAR</font color=orange></b>

Hobbit

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
DVD+R media IS superior to DVD-R media. There are MANY set top DVD players available that can play ALL DVD formats. Here are a few models I personally own and know play all DVD formats DVD+-RW & DVD+-R & CD-RW & CDR (These are all Combo DVD & VHS players - Apex ADV-3800 is the cheapest solution and a bargain at about $120, Sony SLV-D300P better looking and slightly better DVD & VHS picture quality and has the fastest VHS rewind I have ever encountered (Not a very noticable picture improvement so dont base your purchase on that alone) runs for about $165, and my favorite so far is the new JVC HR-XVS44U from Crutchfield for about $195 shipped - the remote is a bit large but it has picture quality as good as the Sony with Super VHS VCR and some other very nice features. Best burning programs to use to backup your DVD encrypted movies are DVD Shrink & Clone DVD & AnyDVD. Best for backing up data use Nero 6... DVD+R media can burn at 4x in a 4x DVD+-R burner while DVD-R can only burn at 2x. Same with 8X DVD+-R burners - DVD+R burns at 8X and DVD-R burns at 4X. Why in the world would anyone pay for an 8X burner and only burn at 4x with DVD-R? Also I have found that DVD+R media doesnt necessarily have to be rated at 2x, 4x 8x to burn at 8x. I can confirm that 1x Imation DVD+R media burns at 4x perfectly with over 50 burns successful with only one error which is on par with my TDK which are rated @ 4x and error occurs in about 1 in 50. So, you dont need to buy 4x media most likely or even 8x media although I have not tested 1x media @ 8x yet but will soon.

Balls, said the Queen if I had them I would be king!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by hobbit on 12/28/03 11:15 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

marcustandy

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2003
Although I fitted my DVD burner a week ago I am yet to use it. I bought DVD-R discs because here in Germany there was quite a price difference.

I had been lead to believe that DVD-R for films etc and DVD+R for data. Is that right?

marcustandy,

A Yorkshire Viking on tour!

Hobbit

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
There is USA price difference between the two formats but it is very small in the < 5% range at least when I buy and compare prices and it has been that way for me personally for at least 5 months. The only reason your being told -R for movies is that they are cheaper in Germany and that they are supported by more rack system DVD players for playback. Although once true this now only stands up when considering older already purchased players but it is no longer true because of the pelthora of DVD+R capable playback rack system DVD players currently on the market. I back up all my data on DVD+R too and from all my testing I have had the most problems backing up data on DVD-R & DVD-RW so I do believe +R & +RW is superior for DATA backup (Never had a problem with DATA) and superior for backing up DVD movies and home movies etc. Purchase any of the DVD/VCR combo models I posted and you cant go wrong. Of course their are many models that are DVD only if that is what you want. Just do the research before you purchase to make sure they can playback all your media. Apex in general can playback most anything as long as you buy a newer model you dont have to worry about it. JVC has just joined the multi format playback market with its newests models and Sony jumped on that band waggon a while ago but not till about 6 months ago did the progressive scan models start comming out in quantity that can playback most of the media. The new thing will be 720P and 1024P which will again make DVD quality higher than HDTV! But, that stuff is a year or more off yet even though a slow trickle can be found it isnt worth the price and effort yet.

Balls, said the Queen if I had them I would be king!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by hobbit on 12/29/03 06:35 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

LancerEvolution7

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2002
DVD+R media IS superior to DVD-R media.
I don't know where you are getting your info from, but there is no superiority. Both are about the same. +R has a slight speed advantage, but 8x isn't 8x, its 6x and at the end of the disc its 8x. If you are talking about set top compatibility, tests show that -R has a slight edge.

DVD+R media can burn at 4x in a 4x DVD+-R burner while DVD-R can only burn at 2x.
Untrue, most dual burners can burn both -R and +R at 4x. <A HREF="http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_17573091_1984060_tab=B,00.html?compName=PNA_ProductDetailComponent" target="_new">Here</A> is one of the most popular dual burners on the market right now. Read the specs.

There is USA price difference between the two formats but it is very small in the < 5% range at least when I buy and compare prices and it has been that way for me personally for at least 5 months.
In general -R media is cheaper than +R media if you buy in bulk. The difference is quite large actually. Ritek DVD discs are probably the most popular brand. Their 4x -R discs sell for about $0.95 each, and their 4x +R media sells for about $1.25 each. All prices are in USA. About a 30% difference.

I back up all my data on DVD+R too and from all my testing I have had the most problems backing up data on DVD-R & DVD-RW so I do believe +R & +RW is superior for DATA backup (Never had a problem with DATA) and superior for backing up DVD movies and home movies etc.
Your issues can depend on many factors besides the format. There are plenty of people that have used both +R and -R(including myself) to back up data and never had an issue. Your personal experiences do not necessarily stand true as a whole.

Hobbit

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
In reply to all...

Speed difference is not negligable as your try to slip in there by saying there is only a slight difference. Sorry but you KNOW the speed difference is significant. You also KNOW that +R is supperior albeit not a lot but time will prove me correct if you dont want to accept it now. Yes, your correct I do aggree -R media has an insignificant slight compatablity lead with new DVD drives but it IS insignificant. With older rack top DVD players -R is far more supported that is the biggest reason for its popularity over +R. I purchase packs of 25, 50, and 100 TDK mostly and find the price differences between +R & -R to be negligable like I already said. I dont care to purchase any brand or larger quantity unless in the brand I want etc. The prices will equalize even more in a matter of months so this is not a buying point and the same goes for compatability. Sure, the pioneer can burn +R and -R at the same speed apparently but Plextor, Sony and Light-On currently dont but based on the Pioneer I will assume that will equalize too. Yep, your personal experiences do not necessarily stand true as a whole. That goes for most.

Balls, said the Queen if I had them I would be king!

LancerEvolution7

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2002
Speed difference is not negligable as your try to slip in there by saying there is only a slight difference. Sorry but you KNOW the speed difference is significant.
If 15min(4x) Vs 10min(8x) is a negligable difference than good for you. I never said it wasn't, but it all depends on people. Some people feel it isn't, some people feel it is.

You also KNOW that +R is supperior albeit not a lot but time will prove me correct if you dont want to accept it now.
I know that they are both good formats that work for whatever purpose they are made for. You haven't shown one shred of proof that +R is better than -R besides the negligable speed difference.

I purchase packs of 25, 50, and 100 TDK mostly and find the price differences between +R & -R to be negligable like I already said.
That is from YOUR experiences. Reality is that there is a significant difference between prices of -R and +R discs. I can link you to many different websites that can prove my my point if you like(in both North America and Europe). Prices MIGHT equalize in the future, but who can tell the future. I'm assuming the original poster wanted relevant information, not predictions.

BTW, like many other companies, TDK and Memorex does not manufacture their own discs. They outsource to another OEM company like Ritek to make it for them. So the extra you are pay is basically for the nice packaging and the printed letters TDK.

Sure, the pioneer can burn +R and -R at the same speed apparently but Plextor, Sony and Light-On currently dont
In your original post, you stated that dual burners can only burn -R at 2x which is TOTALLY FALSE. The FIRST dual burner to ever hit the market, Sony's DRU510A , could burn -R at 4x. In fact, there was never a dual format burner in the market that could burn -R ONLY at 2x. It was always 4x.

Hobbit

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I will respond to your last reply since the rest is just all wishy washy and I am already tired of this debate. It is obviously a waste of our time. You said, "In fact, there was never a dual format burner in the market that could burn -R ONLY at 2x. It was always 4x." You must be kidding, lol, your TOTALLY FALSE. As for -R burning at 2x only with dual format drives I concede that point.

Balls, said the Queen if I had them I would be king!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by hobbit on 01/02/04 02:43 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Actually, it's -RW that burns only at 2X. Also, there are many technical advantages to the +RW format over the -RW format. <A HREF="http://www.dvdplusrw.org/Article.asp?mid=0&sid=3&aid=12" target="_new">Here they are</A>

Intelligence is not merely the wealth of knowledge but the sum of perception, wisdom, and knowledge.

LancerEvolution7

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2002
I will respond to your last reply since the rest is just all wishy washy and I am already tired of this debate. It is obviously a waste of our time. You said, "In fact, there was never a dual format burner in the market that could burn -R ONLY at 2x. It was always 4x." You must be kidding, lol, your TOTALLY FALSE. As for -R burning at 2x only with dual format drives I concede that point.
Then find me a dual format drive with a max -R writing speed of 2x. I'd suggest you check up on your information before posting up "true" information.

The rest of my information is wishy washy because its true. All of it can be prove upon request, unlike your "you KNOW...".

Also, there are many technical advantages to the +RW format over the -RW format.
I'm sorry to tell you most of that is just marketing hype from the +RW camp, in practice those "advantages" mean little to nothing.

I don't really care who wins since I can burn both types. I generally burn to -R since the media is significantly cheaper. Right now it seems that both formats are coexisting since the final product, whether is +R or -R, will work in most players and readers. It really doesn't matter anyway, considering the hoard of dual format burners that are on the market right now.