Slow startup - help please!

Hello, my computer is painfully slow on startup, here are my specs, I hope
some of you can help me:

Windows XP (Home Edition)
Version 2002, SP2

Compaq Presario
Celeron CPU 2.40 GHz
248 MB RAM

I use Ad-aware and AVG. I also do a disk defragmenter once a month, as well
as Disk Cleanup......... is it the Celeron? Is there any chance of speeding
this old dog up, it takes 5 minutes to boot up. Thanks in advance!
4 answers Last reply
More about slow startup please

    In news:5D2D3D7A-EC4E-4541-9E41-44ED94F123B0@microsoft.com,
    DonnaR <DonnaR@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > Hello, my computer is painfully slow on startup, here are my
    > specs, I
    > hope some of you can help me:
    >
    > Windows XP (Home Edition)
    > Version 2002, SP2
    >
    > Compaq Presario
    > Celeron CPU 2.40 GHz
    > 248 MB RAM
    >

    > I use Ad-aware and AVG. I also do a disk defragmenter once a
    > month,
    > as well as Disk Cleanup......... is it the Celeron? Is there
    > any
    > chance of speeding this old dog up, it takes 5 minutes to boot
    > up.
    > Thanks in advance!

    My personal view is that the attention many people pay to how
    long it takes to boot is unwarranted. Assuming that the
    computer's speed is otherwise satisfactory, it may not be worth
    worrying about. Most people start their computers once a day or
    even less frequently. In the overall scheme of things, even a few
    minutes to start up isn't very important. Personally I power on
    my computer when I get up in the morning, then go get my coffee.
    When I come back, it's done booting. I don't know how long it
    took to boot and I don't care.

    However, if your computer takes five minutes to boot, it's likely
    that the culprit is whatever programs are starting automatically.
    You might want to stop some of these.

    On each program you don't want to start automatically, check its
    Options to see if it has the choice not to start (make sure you
    actually choose the option not to run it, not just a "don't show
    icon" option). Many can easily and best be stopped that way. If
    that doesn't work, run MSCONFIG from the Start | Run line, and on
    the Startup tab, uncheck the programs you don't want to start
    automatically.

    However, if I were you, I wouldn't do this just for the purpose
    of running the minimum number of programs. Despite what many
    people tell you, you should be concerned, not with how *many* of
    these programs you run, but *which*. Some of them can hurt
    performance severely, but others have no effect on performance.

    Don't just stop programs from running willy-nilly. What you
    should do is determine what each program is, what its value is to
    you, and what the cost in performance is of its running all the
    time. You can get more information about these with at
    http://castlecops.com/StartupList.html. If you can't find it
    there, try google searches and ask about specifics here.

    Once you have that information, you can make an intelligent
    informed decision about what you want to keep and what you want
    to get rid of.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    In addition to what previos 2 posters said, see my
    post:
    From: "Larry(LJL269)"
    Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
    Subject: More Services = 50% Less Boot Time
    Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2005 07:04:38 GMT

    HTH-Larry

    On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 18:21:01 -0700, DonnaR
    <DonnaR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    |Hello, my computer is painfully slow on startup, here are my specs, I hope
    |some of you can help me:
    |
    |Windows XP (Home Edition)
    |Version 2002, SP2
    |
    |Compaq Presario
    |Celeron CPU 2.40 GHz
    |248 MB RAM
    |

    |I use Ad-aware and AVG. I also do a disk defragmenter once a month, as well
    |as Disk Cleanup......... is it the Celeron? Is there any chance of speeding
    |this old dog up, it takes 5 minutes to boot up. Thanks in advance!

    Any advise is my attempt to contribute more than I have received but I can only assure you that it works on my PC. GOOD LUCK.

    How to troubleshoot by using the System Configuration utility in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310560

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

    DonnaR wrote:
    >> Hello, my computer is painfully slow on startup, here are my specs,
    >> I hope some of you can help me:
    >>
    >> Windows XP (Home Edition)
    >> Version 2002, SP2
    >>
    >> Compaq Presario
    >> Celeron CPU 2.40 GHz
    >> 248 MB RAM
    >>

    >> I use Ad-aware and AVG. I also do a disk defragmenter once a month,
    >> as well as Disk Cleanup......... is it the Celeron? Is there any
    >> chance of speeding this old dog up, it takes 5 minutes to boot up.
    >> Thanks in advance!

    Sometime a BIOS/ Installation combination makes for a slow boot. I have an
    ASUS boad here on which Windows was slow to boot on. One day I reset the
    BIOS to the default settings and reinstalled Windows. It boot in half the
    time or less as before. Boot time is hard to account for and sometimes you
    have to go through all the steps:

    Is the BIOS configured well?
    Are you using an 80-in cable for the HDD?
    Is the HDD jumpered correctly
    Is DMA configured correctly?
    Just what is starting during boot up?
    Are all the services starting correctly?
    Viruses? Adware? etc. etc.

    And so on ..

Slow Startup Windows XP