huge mistake!!

Hi All,

I made a huge mistake on a friend's computer. I removed a file when a virus
software told me to. Unfortunately it was wrong and it thought it was a
virus. Now I have to know how I can put the file back. It is csrss.exe

Any direction would be greatly accepted.

Thanks,
Sam
8 answers Last reply
More about huge mistake

    Next time...don't trust suspicious advice or emails telling you that a file
    is a virus. Purchase, install and keep updated a reputable antivirus
    program. Install a reputable software firewall and keep it updated. If
    this had been done, you would have known the file in question was not a
    virus.

    BTW, what is a virus software? Why would you even install anything on your
    computer that called itself a "virus software"?

    If your friend has a windows CD, he can use the "extract" command to get the
    file form the CD. If he is smart, he will do it himself and not let you do
    it until you have a little more experience under your belt.

    Bobby

    "Radar" <behappy@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I made a huge mistake on a friend's computer. I removed a file when a
    > virus software told me to. Unfortunately it was wrong and it thought it
    > was a virus. Now I have to know how I can put the file back. It is
    > csrss.exe
    >
    > Any direction would be greatly accepted.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Sam

    Here is the information regarding the file you deleted and what "could be" a
    virus, depending on what folder it is in.....

    Csrss (1)
    Csrss.exe

    (Microsoft)
    Windows NT4//2000/XP/2003 only. CSRSS is the Client Server Runtime
    SubSystem. CSRSS is started by SMSS. When the user application makes a
    Win32 API call, it is usually CSRSS which communicates with the operating
    system’s Kernel to execute the API call. CSRSS is also known as the Win32
    Subsystem.

    Recommendation :
    An integral part of the operating system, leave alone.

    Csrss (2)

    BagleAV

    Key Logger

    Krnlcheck
    Csrss.exe

    (???)
    You have a virus, such as the Trojan.Gutta or W32.Netsky.AB@mm or
    W32.Buchon.A@mm or Backdoor.Botnachala virus, or some other virus, if
    you have Windows 95/98/ME or if the full path to this program is either
    C:\Windows\csrss.exe or C:\WinNT\csrss.exe.
    Hope this helps
    Redwagon....

    Radar wrote:
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> I made a huge mistake on a friend's computer. I removed a file when
    >> a virus software told me to. Unfortunately it was wrong and it
    >> thought it was a virus. Now I have to know how I can put the file
    >> back. It is csrss.exe
    >>
    >> Any direction would be greatly accepted.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Sam

    Never trust those emails. There's a number of them about. If you are
    concerned about a particular file, look before you leap, researching its
    name on Google or Yahoo! etc.

    Furthermore, install and keep up-to-date an AV [anti-virus] program. There
    are a number of free ones available:

    Grisft AVG Free Edition
    http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php

    BitDefender Free Edition
    http://www.bitdefender.com/bd/site/products.php?p_id=24

    Avast! Free ed.

    Also, if you are concerned about spy-ware, install Microsoft's tool. Watch
    the URL wrap:

    Microsoft® Windows AntiSpyware (Beta)
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321cd7a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en

    Stephen wrote:
    > Radar wrote:
    >>> Hi All,
    >>>
    >>> I made a huge mistake on a friend's computer. I removed a file when
    >>> a virus software told me to. Unfortunately it was wrong and it
    >>> thought it was a virus. Now I have to know how I can put the file
    >>> back. It is csrss.exe
    >>>
    >>> Any direction would be greatly accepted.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Sam
    >
    > Never trust those emails. There's a number of them about. If you are
    > concerned about a particular file, look before you leap, researching
    > its name on Google or Yahoo! etc.

    Where did he say anything about an email?

    > Furthermore, install and keep up-to-date an AV [anti-virus] program.
    > There are a number of free ones available:
    >
    > Grisft AVG Free Edition
    > http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php
    >

    > BitDefender Free Edition
    > http://www.bitdefender.com/bd/site/products.php?p_id=24
    >
    > Avast! Free ed.
    >

    > Also, if you are concerned about spy-ware, install Microsoft's tool.
    > Watch the URL wrap:
    >
    > Microsoft® Windows AntiSpyware (Beta)
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321cd7a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en

    To Radar:

    Don't let the A**holes get you down. As an A**hole myself, it is best
    just to ignore them and wait for help, and if none comes repost your
    question.

    If you deleted the wrong csrss.exe file, and can't find a way to restore
    it, [And don't use system restore after a virus infectection] then you
    may need to do a repair install.

    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

    "Stephen" <stephen@online.nospam> wrote in message
    > Radar wrote:
    >>> Hi All,
    >>>
    >>> I made a huge mistake on a friend's computer. I removed a file when
    >>> a virus software told me to. Unfortunately it was wrong and it
    >>> thought it was a virus. Now I have to know how I can put the file
    >>> back. It is csrss.exe
    >>>
    >>> Any direction would be greatly accepted.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Sam
    >
    > Never trust those emails. There's a number of them about. If you are
    > concerned about a particular file, look before you leap, researching its
    > name on Google or Yahoo! etc.
    >
    > Furthermore, install and keep up-to-date an AV [anti-virus] program.
    > There
    > are a number of free ones available:

    It wasn't an email the OP read, it was the AV software that instructed him
    to delete the file.

    Thanks for the hug. Actually I ran ESET's NOD32 antivirus software which
    scanned the memory and found csrss.exe in the memory. Rather than belittle
    me as you have, I will know in the future not to ask the question in the
    form that I did. You are a bundle of joy. If you would have checked your
    (no-it-all) facts, there is a virus
    http://www.iamnotageek.com/a/csrss.exe.php that matches the same name and
    this is why the scan grabbed it. Check Google for what I mean.

    You gave me little to go on. But in advance, I want to thank REDWAGON for
    the assistance provided which has made things better.

    Regards,
    ME
    www.nod32.com is the software homepage for further clarification.
    "NoNoBadDog!" <no_bsledge@spam_verizon.net> wrote in message
    > Next time...don't trust suspicious advice or emails telling you that a
    > file is a virus. Purchase, install and keep updated a reputable antivirus
    > program. Install a reputable software firewall and keep it updated. If
    > this had been done, you would have known the file in question was not a
    > virus.
    >
    > BTW, what is a virus software? Why would you even install anything on your
    > computer that called itself a "virus software"?
    >
    > If your friend has a windows CD, he can use the "extract" command to get
    > the file form the CD. If he is smart, he will do it himself and not let
    > you do it until you have a little more experience under your belt.
    >

    > Bobby
    >

    > "Radar" <behappy@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> I made a huge mistake on a friend's computer. I removed a file when a
    >> virus software told me to. Unfortunately it was wrong and it thought it
    >> was a virus. Now I have to know how I can put the file back. It is
    >> csrss.exe
    >>
    >> Any direction would be greatly accepted.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Sam

    hi

    crss.exe is the Agobot worm.
    csrss.exe is a legitimate system file that manages graphical commands.
    Do a search of the C:\ drive or Windows Xp Cd for csrss. It may be located
    the i386 folder, if you have it, by the name of csrss.ex_

    copy that file to c:\windows\system32\
    and start command promt and excute the following command
    expand csrss.ex_ csrss.exe

    --
    Thanks,
    RAM , India.

    "Radar" wrote:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > I made a huge mistake on a friend's computer. I removed a file when a virus
    > software told me to. Unfortunately it was wrong and it thought it was a
    > virus. Now I have to know how I can put the file back. It is csrss.exe
    >
    > Any direction would be greatly accepted.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Sam

    Dear RAM & Friends...

    2 Things:

    1. I made exactly the same mistake by deleting the CSRSS.exe file from my
    pc. I re-istalled it by copying it to the System32 file of Windows in my H
    drive from my Windows xp CD. However, I'm sorry, but I don't understand what
    you mean by 'start command prompt and execute the following command expand
    csrss.ex_csrss.exe Sorry - please can you explain what I have to do?

    2. Also, I am getting a message about every minute from my TruPrevent Panda
    Antivirus software that says 'Dangerous Operation Blocked! Panda Titanium
    Antivirus 2005 has detected the execution of a dangerous action and has
    blocked it. Associated file: C:\Windows\System32\VIVNUFFTO\CSRSS.EXE

    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    Many thanks

    Simon

    "RAM" wrote:

    > hi
    >
    > crss.exe is the Agobot worm.
    > csrss.exe is a legitimate system file that manages graphical commands.
    > Do a search of the C:\ drive or Windows Xp Cd for csrss. It may be located
    > the i386 folder, if you have it, by the name of csrss.ex_
    >
    > copy that file to c:\windows\system32\
    > and start command promt and excute the following command
    > expand csrss.ex_ csrss.exe
    >
    > --
    > Thanks,
    > RAM , India.
    >

    > "Radar" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi All,
    > >
    > > I made a huge mistake on a friend's computer. I removed a file when a virus
    > > software told me to. Unfortunately it was wrong and it thought it was a
    > > virus. Now I have to know how I can put the file back. It is csrss.exe
    > >
    > > Any direction would be greatly accepted.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Sam

Virus Microsoft Windows XP