Help please, I broke 2 pins of a harddrive

FrancoPalmieri

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2003
Last week I changed the cable of one of my harddrives, during this procedure I broke 2 pins.
The pins I broke are pins 1 and 2, I know by now these are named GROUND and IDE RESET.

I like to know if it is save to connect the harddrive in this state or if I can damage the computer or drive.
The drive is from Maxtor, type D740X-6L (40 GB).

I know I can by an identical drive and swap the printplates to solve the problem but I bought a new drive and only want to get some critical data of the disk just once.

Can somebody please inform me the meaning of IDE RESET and why there are so many GROUND pins on the drive.
Most important, please let me know if it is save to connect the drive.

Thanks a lot for the help,

Franco Palmieri

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
You can connect the drive safetly but it won't work. The easiest thing to do would be to simple solder in a couple of new temporary pins, a couple of staples might do the trick. Failing that, you could always solder the IDE cable wires 1 + 2 directly to the board of your hard drive (make sure you actually get 1 + 2 if you have an 80 pin cable).

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=114979" target="_new">My PCs</A> :cool: