Sign in with
Your question

HP dv9700t for gaming/college notebook?

Last response: in Mobile Computing
April 20, 2008 3:39:28 AM

Alright so I was wondering whether the dv9700t would be a decent notebook for college and light gaming.

Here is my config:
* – Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (32-bit)
* – Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo Processor T8300 (2.40 GHz, 3 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB)
* – 17.0" diagonal WXGA+ High-Definition HP BrightView Widescreen Display (1440 x 900)
* – 2GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
* – 50% OFF 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS!!
* – FREE Upgrade to HP Imprint (Radiance) + Fingerprint Reader + Webcam + Microphone
* – Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 4965AGN Network Connection
* – 240GB 7200RPM SATA Dual Hard Drive (120GB x 2)
* – LightScribe SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-RW with Double Layer Support
* – No TV Tuner w/remote control
* – High Capacity 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
* – Microsoft(R) Works 9.0
* – HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope

Which comes out to $1403.99

I'm also getting the 3-year HP Accidental Damage Protection with Pick Up and Return Extended Service Plan for HP Pavilion and Presario Notebook PCs (Not included in price I posted)

Is this a good deal? Also has anyone heard or experienced any problems with this notebook? Cooling? Battery life?

I plan on down grading the OS to XP pro when I get it, and I was wondering if finding drivers are going to be a problem.

If anyone has any suggestions on different brands that offer a similar set up around the same price range please tell me ^_^

Thanks in advance!
April 20, 2008 4:09:02 AM

It's okay for college. It'll be a weak gamer. Even when HP carried the 8600gt's, they were still only DDR2 cards.
If you ask me, your machine is top heavy on the processor. Unless you're doing any real audio or video editing, I wouldn't go past 2.2GHz. Doesn't matter much, I suppose. I would opt for a lower processor and a higher resolution display.
I custom made one up for my cousin, very similar to yours..2.2GHz, 8600gt, 160bg 5400rpm disk, 17" 1680x1050 display. The machine runs beautifully. Doesn't overheat ever, I believe. his was 1600 total, I think, without the plan, so i think that shows some HP price adjustments.
Have you tried customizing a dell or a sager? Dells are...well, an option, and sagers are much higher quality.

XP pro is a bad idea. Drivers are impossible to find.
April 20, 2008 4:20:34 AM

It will be fine if you dont play Crysis or other demanding games.
Related resources
April 20, 2008 4:32:50 AM

lolerkthx said:

* – 50% OFF 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS!!

Don't get too excited, lol.
April 20, 2008 4:48:40 AM

I've looked at HP laptops for a while now. The seem to offer the best performance/price ratio compared to Dell and Gateway. While Gateway does offer some better discrete video (8800M GTS) they do not offer customization or many coupons to lower their prices.

A few weeks back HP had a coupon offered for the computer you were looking at - $500 off if configured over $1499, I would wait for something like that before you buy to save some cash. www.LogicBuy.com posts coupons like that real quick.

Another decent laptop but more for gaming (at least compared to most laptops):

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8651167&st=Gateway+P-6831FX&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1195599780039

Just some ideas for you.

Greg
April 20, 2008 5:37:17 AM

Second on that gateway P-6831FX. I really want one and its 8800m gts will rip apart that hp 8600m gs plus while its not customizabe it seems to be easily upgradeable (not the video card though).

The hp will handle your college stuff fine but the gateway will let do your light gaming at much higher resolutions.

http://www.anandtech.com/mobile/showdoc.aspx?i=3273

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-8800M-GTS.6...

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-8600M-GS.37...

I need a new laptop but I don't think I could do 17inchs. Probably going after 14in and just game on my desktop.
April 20, 2008 9:13:44 AM

frozenlead said:
It's okay for college. It'll be a weak gamer. Even when HP carried the 8600gt's, they were still only DDR2 cards.
If you ask me, your machine is top heavy on the processor. Unless you're doing any real audio or video editing, I wouldn't go past 2.2GHz. Doesn't matter much, I suppose. I would opt for a lower processor and a higher resolution display.
I custom made one up for my cousin, very similar to yours..2.2GHz, 8600gt, 160bg 5400rpm disk, 17" 1680x1050 display. The machine runs beautifully. Doesn't overheat ever, I believe. his was 1600 total, I think, without the plan, so i think that shows some HP price adjustments.
Have you tried customizing a dell or a sager? Dells are...well, an option, and sagers are much higher quality.

XP pro is a bad idea. Drivers are impossible to find.

Well I did try a dell but I remember it coming out over my budget, either that or was a couple hundred more for the same config. I took a look at the sagers but that 3 year warranty with accident forgiveness thing is something that I would like and they don't offer it. One think that I was looking out for was the 500 dollar off coupon that HP offers once in a while, just recently they had a 30% coupon but I have time so I opted to try and wait for a 500 dollar off coupon.

As for drivers I found this site http://www.laptops-drivers.com/hp-laptop/installing-xp-... but I'm not sure if the drivers are up to date or whatever.
April 20, 2008 9:15:44 AM

tekzor said:
Don't get too excited, lol.

Oh, about that, I just copied and pasted the specs from the check out thing on HP's site lol. I'm really not THAT excited about the 50% off although when I saw your post I had to laugh.
April 20, 2008 9:21:39 AM

Gadubos said:
I've looked at HP laptops for a while now. The seem to offer the best performance/price ratio compared to Dell and Gateway. While Gateway does offer some better discrete video (8800M GTS) they do not offer customization or many coupons to lower their prices.

A few weeks back HP had a coupon offered for the computer you were looking at - $500 off if configured over $1499, I would wait for something like that before you buy to save some cash. www.LogicBuy.com posts coupons like that real quick.

Another decent laptop but more for gaming (at least compared to most laptops):

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8651167&st=Gateway+P-6831FX&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1195599780039

Just some ideas for you.

Greg

Dell seems to be too expensive and I didn't like how I can't customize the Gateways.

Yeah I was waiting for that $500 coupon, I almost got it with a 30% coupon but I opted to wait since I have a few months.

Thanks for the idea, although a 3 year accident forgiveness warranty seems to be a must.
April 20, 2008 9:34:44 AM

Hey guys, thanks for the replies.

I guess I should post what I'm looking for in the laptop.

-A 3+ year accident forgiveness warranty
-Windows XP would be nice, I would just need it to have drivers for it as I already have a copy of XP
-A decent graphics card 8600m or higher
-Price around 1500 (Waiting for a $500 coupon from HP if I decide on that one.
-7200RPM HDD although 5400RPM would be ok

I'll add onto this list when if i think of anything else.

I'm still not very sure on what to get anymore help would be greatly appreciated ^^

April 25, 2008 11:36:47 AM

ssameer007 said:

Also available blazing 5.2ghz

Hmm, don't buy from this guy.
!