Unable to retrieve my profile

Last week I left my computer on to use a P2P program. I noticed that my disk
drive made a noise. I turned my monitor on, and saw that my computer had
rebooted itself. However it was unable to load my profile (I am the
administrator for this copy of Windows XP Pro).

The error message read "Windows cannot create a temporary profile directory
but
has logged you on with the default profile. This may be
caused by insufficient security rights. "

How do get my profile back? I have been unable to get into System Restore,
which says that "system restore is unable to help your computer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Benny Hill wrote:

> Last week I left my computer on to use a P2P program. I noticed that my disk
> drive made a noise. I turned my monitor on, and saw that my computer had
> rebooted itself. However it was unable to load my profile (I am the
> administrator for this copy of Windows XP Pro).
>
> The error message read "Windows cannot create a temporary profile directory
> but
> has logged you on with the default profile. This may be
> caused by insufficient security rights. "
>
> How do get my profile back? I have been unable to get into System Restore,
> which says that "system restore is unable to help your computer.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated

One possibility is that the profile is corrupted. If that's the case
then create a new account and log into it at least once. Then copy the
data from the old profile to the new one and delete the old one.

How to Copy a User Profile
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_logon.htm

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=279783

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

"Benny Hill" <Benny Hill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Last week I left my computer on to use a P2P program. I noticed that my
disk
> drive made a noise. I turned my monitor on, and saw that my computer had
> rebooted itself. However it was unable to load my profile (I am the
> administrator for this copy of Windows XP Pro).
>
> The error message read "Windows cannot create a temporary profile
directory
> but
> has logged you on with the default profile. This may be
> caused by insufficient security rights. "
>
> How do get my profile back? I have been unable to get into System Restore,
> which says that "system restore is unable to help your computer.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated

If your hard disk made funny noises then your first step should
be to check its integrity. Download and run the diagnostic
program that your disk manufacturer makes freely available
on his home site.

Just to clarify, it was my floppy that made a noise (i only mentioned this to
highlight the fact that my computer had rebooted and was undergoing it's
usual boot sequence).

"Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

> "Benny Hill" <Benny Hill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Last week I left my computer on to use a P2P program. I noticed that my
> disk
> > drive made a noise. I turned my monitor on, and saw that my computer had
> > rebooted itself. However it was unable to load my profile (I am the
> > administrator for this copy of Windows XP Pro).
> >
> > The error message read "Windows cannot create a temporary profile
> directory
> > but
> > has logged you on with the default profile. This may be
> > caused by insufficient security rights. "
> >
> > How do get my profile back? I have been unable to get into System Restore,
> > which says that "system restore is unable to help your computer.
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated
> >

> If your hard disk made funny noises then your first step should
> be to check its integrity. Download and run the diagnostic
> program that your disk manufacturer makes freely available
> on his home site.

Your clarification suggests that it was neither the hard disk
that made a noise nor was there anything strange about the
noise from the floppy disk drive. In other words, if you're
after relevant advice, take care with the wording of your
posts . . .

Assuming that your problem is caused by a security issue,
you should now examine the permission structure of your
profile folder. Have a look at the folders under
c:\Documents and Settings - at least one of them relates
directly to the name you type when you log on. If you do
not know what name this might be, do this:

- Click Start / Run
- Type cmd {OK}
- Type set user
You will now see your current logon account.

If you're unsure about permissions and how to examine
or set them, click Start / Help, type Permissions ,
then familiarise yourself with the concept of NTFS
permissions.