Unable to retrieve my profile

Last week I left my computer on to use a P2P program. I noticed that my disk
drive made a noise. I turned my monitor on, and saw that my computer had
rebooted itself. However it was unable to load my profile (I am the
administrator for this copy of Windows XP Pro).

The error message read "Windows cannot create a temporary profile directory
but
has logged you on with the default profile. This may be
caused by insufficient security rights. "

How do get my profile back? I have been unable to get into System Restore,
which says that "system restore is unable to help your computer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
4 answers Last reply
More about unable retrieve profile

    Benny Hill wrote:

    > Last week I left my computer on to use a P2P program. I noticed that my disk
    > drive made a noise. I turned my monitor on, and saw that my computer had
    > rebooted itself. However it was unable to load my profile (I am the
    > administrator for this copy of Windows XP Pro).
    >
    > The error message read "Windows cannot create a temporary profile directory
    > but
    > has logged you on with the default profile. This may be
    > caused by insufficient security rights. "
    >
    > How do get my profile back? I have been unable to get into System Restore,
    > which says that "system restore is unable to help your computer.
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated

    One possibility is that the profile is corrupted. If that's the case
    then create a new account and log into it at least once. Then copy the
    data from the old profile to the new one and delete the old one.

    How to Copy a User Profile
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_logon.htm

    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=279783

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    "Benny Hill" <Benny Hill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Last week I left my computer on to use a P2P program. I noticed that my
    disk
    > drive made a noise. I turned my monitor on, and saw that my computer had
    > rebooted itself. However it was unable to load my profile (I am the
    > administrator for this copy of Windows XP Pro).
    >
    > The error message read "Windows cannot create a temporary profile
    directory
    > but
    > has logged you on with the default profile. This may be
    > caused by insufficient security rights. "
    >
    > How do get my profile back? I have been unable to get into System Restore,
    > which says that "system restore is unable to help your computer.
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated

    If your hard disk made funny noises then your first step should
    be to check its integrity. Download and run the diagnostic
    program that your disk manufacturer makes freely available
    on his home site.

    Just to clarify, it was my floppy that made a noise (i only mentioned this to
    highlight the fact that my computer had rebooted and was undergoing it's
    usual boot sequence).

    "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

    > "Benny Hill" <Benny Hill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Last week I left my computer on to use a P2P program. I noticed that my
    > disk
    > > drive made a noise. I turned my monitor on, and saw that my computer had
    > > rebooted itself. However it was unable to load my profile (I am the
    > > administrator for this copy of Windows XP Pro).
    > >
    > > The error message read "Windows cannot create a temporary profile
    > directory
    > > but
    > > has logged you on with the default profile. This may be
    > > caused by insufficient security rights. "
    > >
    > > How do get my profile back? I have been unable to get into System Restore,
    > > which says that "system restore is unable to help your computer.
    > >
    > > Any help would be greatly appreciated
    > >

    > If your hard disk made funny noises then your first step should
    > be to check its integrity. Download and run the diagnostic
    > program that your disk manufacturer makes freely available
    > on his home site.

    Your clarification suggests that it was neither the hard disk
    that made a noise nor was there anything strange about the
    noise from the floppy disk drive. In other words, if you're
    after relevant advice, take care with the wording of your
    posts . . .

    Assuming that your problem is caused by a security issue,
    you should now examine the permission structure of your
    profile folder. Have a look at the folders under
    c:\Documents and Settings - at least one of them relates
    directly to the name you type when you log on. If you do
    not know what name this might be, do this:

    - Click Start / Run
    - Type cmd {OK}
    - Type set user
    You will now see your current logon account.

    If you're unsure about permissions and how to examine
    or set them, click Start / Help, type Permissions ,
    then familiarise yourself with the concept of NTFS
    permissions.

    > Just to clarify, it was my floppy that made a noise (i only mentioned this
    > highlight the fact that my computer had rebooted and was undergoing it's
    > usual boot sequence).
    >
    > "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
    >

    > > "Benny Hill" <Benny Hill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Last week I left my computer on to use a P2P program. I noticed that
    my
    > > disk
    > > > drive made a noise. I turned my monitor on, and saw that my computer
    had
    > > > rebooted itself. However it was unable to load my profile (I am the
    > > > administrator for this copy of Windows XP Pro).
    > > >
    > > > The error message read "Windows cannot create a temporary profile
    > > directory
    > > > but
    > > > has logged you on with the default profile. This may be
    > > > caused by insufficient security rights. "
    > > >
    > > > How do get my profile back? I have been unable to get into System
    Restore,
    > > > which says that "system restore is unable to help your computer.
    > > >
    > > > Any help would be greatly appreciated
    > > >

    > > If your hard disk made funny noises then your first step should
    > > be to check its integrity. Download and run the diagnostic
    > > program that your disk manufacturer makes freely available
    > > on his home site.

Computers Windows XP