Help me choose a CPU

sfoster73

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008
Howdy. First time laptop buyer, and I'm trying to choose which CPU to go with. Choices are:

T7500
T8300
T9300
T9500

T7500 and T8300 will wind up costing the same, and from what I've read there's not much difference between 3MB cache and 4MB, so that knocks the T7500 out. Is there enough of an increase in performance to justify $100 for the T9300 or $200 for the T9500? The laptop will be replacing the desktop and used for moderate gaming (Neverwinter Nights 2, Sid Meyer's Priates!, World of Warcraft).

Thanks.

For any CPU, whatever you do, avoid any Intel Graphics Media Deccelerator chipset. The graphics subsystem will make a bigger difference than the CPU. I have an X1300 in my laptop, and I have to turn the settings way down to play Guild Wars at a half-decent frame rate (still <30).

sailer

Splendid
I agree that the T9300 is probably the best in price/performance and that there is enough of a performance difference over the T8300 to justify its cost. Personally, I would choose the T9500, as I like to get the most performance that I can afford. At the same time, when considering price/performance, I'd rather buy the T9300 and a better video card with the extra $100 then take a lessor video card and the faster CPU.

njalterio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008

If you are getting something for gaming, then why are you getting a laptop!?

**Begin Rant**

Just go with a regular tower if you are looking into gaming. For the same performance of a laptop they are generally cheaper. Also, if you ever want to upgrade your graphics card it is easily done if it is in a desktop computer. There really is no point in getting a performance laptop, as applications that require performance (server tasks, games, etc.) require the computer to stay where it is for extended periods of time. If the computer is going to stay in the same place then WHY GET A LAPTOP???

The only things that a laptop should be used for are internet browsing, sending emails, and using basic programs such as Microsoft office. Otherwise you are wasting your money. As a general rule, laptops should not cost you more than $1000, and even that is stretching it.

Please don't tell me you need a laptop to take to LAN parties. Desktops only weigh maybe 10 to 15 pounds more (unless it's the MacBook Air, but don't even get me started on how useless that laptop is), and require one extra trip to get the monitor.

Do yourself a favor and get a desktop.

**End Rant**

sfoster73

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008

Hi! Wow, that was....informative.

I'm not buying it for gaming. I'm buying it to clear out the room in the house a computer desk and chair takes up. Since the desktop is going bye-bye, I would like to be able to play some games. Hence, the moderate gaming. Most gaming I do on the playstation or wii.

sfoster73

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008

Sounds like the T9300 is the way to go.

For the rest of the system, I'm looking at 4GB of RAM. I know, the OS won't use it all, but the price to raise that 1GB of RAM is less than the cost between the CPUs. Graphics will be GeForce 8600M. Definitely looking at a 7200rpm hard drive as well.

Thanks. :)

Save your rant for forums where people care about deskop options and know nothing about laptops.

Portable power is available, you may not want or need it, but for other people it's the perfect combination.

Next time, avoid the rant, and a friendly nudge saying "consider if you really need a performance laptop or whether a good combo of a cheap peformance desktop and cheap laptop wouldn't be better".

Conveys the idea without the rant or the generalities.

silk186

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2007
I personally am looking looking for the same thing as this guy. I will be moving around a lot and I need something that isn't a hassle to through my luggage. I was looking at a smaller tower but would still need to drag around an LCD. For space and portability the laptop is king.

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Not so ture anymore njalterio depending on the System you get.
Listed below is the system I have

t8300 2.4ghz
1gb ram already upgraded to 4gb
Dual 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® Go 8600M GT – SLI Enabled

When I am done it will be

When I am done it will have
T9000 2.8ghz
4gb Ram
Dual 512MB NVIDIA® GeForce® Go 8800M GTX – SLI Enabled

Mingtauw

Distinguished
May 10, 2009
Where are you buying the 8800m GTX's from? The best cards for MXM I can find are 9600m GT's. All other portable gpu's are hardsoldered onto the laptop's mb. Like my 8800m GTS. It's hardsoldered onto the mb with no way of removing it.