boot freezes just before windows loads

I'm not able to get my computer to boot. I've tried a couple things but
haven't been able to figure out what to do.

When the computer is turned on normally, the BIOS does its loading thing and
checks the memory. I can access the BIOS at this time, but there's nothing
unusual about it. After this, I get the prompt to perform a different boot
since windows failed to load last time. If I select normal boot or Last Good
Configuration, the monitor turns black, then a slightly brighter red-black
shade and just stays there. If I choose safe mode, I see a list of system
files being loaded, at the end of which the computer freezes.

I tried making a boot disk(s) after reading in troubleshooting files that
the problem may be a damaged boot sector (from the microsoft site, that is).
The boot disk doesn't quite work though, as after the BIOS performs its
memory tests, the monitor turns the same red-black color, then starts booting
all over again.

If I try booting from a Windows XP CD, it begins loading system files
similar to safe mode, but freezes up when it says "Setup is starting Windows".

Could someone suggest a way for me to boot the computer successfully then?
I could try the System Recovery option provided by the hardware, but I'm
saving that as a last resort.

I really appreciate any help that can be offered.

Oh I forgot to mention, there are no error messages displayed at any time
(except the first time I tried a boot disk and made a typo in the boot.ini).
The files for the boot disk that I copied from the Windows CD (as per
directions on the microsoft site) are from Windows XP Home SP1, although the
file I downloaded was for SP2 and the computer is actually running SP2. I
thought this might be a problem, but didn't say a way around it.

I haven't opened any e-mail attachments or strange files that I'm aware of
in the last few days at least, either.

"Nobu" <Nobu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm not able to get my computer to boot. I've tried a couple things but
> haven't been able to figure out what to do.
>
> When the computer is turned on normally, the BIOS does its loading thing
and
> checks the memory. I can access the BIOS at this time, but there's
nothing
> unusual about it. After this, I get the prompt to perform a different
boot
> since windows failed to load last time. If I select normal boot or Last
Good
> Configuration, the monitor turns black, then a slightly brighter red-black
> shade and just stays there. If I choose safe mode, I see a list of system
> files being loaded, at the end of which the computer freezes.
>
> I tried making a boot disk(s) after reading in troubleshooting files that
> the problem may be a damaged boot sector (from the microsoft site, that
is).
> The boot disk doesn't quite work though, as after the BIOS performs its
> memory tests, the monitor turns the same red-black color, then starts
booting
> all over again.
>
> If I try booting from a Windows XP CD, it begins loading system files
> similar to safe mode, but freezes up when it says "Setup is starting
Windows".

> Could someone suggest a way for me to boot the computer successfully then?
> I could try the System Recovery option provided by the hardware, but I'm
> saving that as a last resort.
>
> I really appreciate any help that can be offered.

You may have a hardware problem (RAM? Hard disk?). If this was my
machine then I would try a few of different boot modes:
a) Boot from the WinXP CD but with a different disk
b) Boot from the WinXP CD but with only half the memory sticks
(or with a different memory stick)
c) Boot it with a Bart PE CD (www.bootdisk.com)

Test a) would give you some hints about your hard disk.
Test b) will give the same about your memory.
Test c) would let you access your hard disk for a closer examination

"Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

> "Nobu" <Nobu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm not able to get my computer to boot. I've tried a couple things but
> > haven't been able to figure out what to do.
> >
> > When the computer is turned on normally, the BIOS does its loading thing
> and
> > checks the memory. I can access the BIOS at this time, but there's
> nothing
> > unusual about it. After this, I get the prompt to perform a different
> boot
> > since windows failed to load last time. If I select normal boot or Last
> Good
> > Configuration, the monitor turns black, then a slightly brighter red-black
> > shade and just stays there. If I choose safe mode, I see a list of system
> > files being loaded, at the end of which the computer freezes.
> >
> > I tried making a boot disk(s) after reading in troubleshooting files that
> > the problem may be a damaged boot sector (from the microsoft site, that
> is).
> > The boot disk doesn't quite work though, as after the BIOS performs its
> > memory tests, the monitor turns the same red-black color, then starts
> booting
> > all over again.
> >
> > If I try booting from a Windows XP CD, it begins loading system files
> > similar to safe mode, but freezes up when it says "Setup is starting
> Windows".
> >
> > Could someone suggest a way for me to boot the computer successfully then?
> > I could try the System Recovery option provided by the hardware, but I'm
> > saving that as a last resort.
> >
> > I really appreciate any help that can be offered.
>
> You may have a hardware problem (RAM? Hard disk?). If this was my
> machine then I would try a few of different boot modes:
> a) Boot from the WinXP CD but with a different disk
> b) Boot from the WinXP CD but with only half the memory sticks
> (or with a different memory stick)
> c) Boot it with a Bart PE CD (www.bootdisk.com)
>
> Test a) would give you some hints about your hard disk.
> Test b) will give the same about your memory.
> Test c) would let you access your hard disk for a closer examination

Okay I will try it, I'll have to buy some more memory I suppose. I don't
have a different winXP disk to try though, but the BartPE test sounds
interesting, I'm working on that now.