WXP vs Linux

What do you think about the difference beetween Windows XP and Linux GUI ?

"Michel DETEST" <mdetest@f-g.fr> wrote in message
> What do you think about the difference beetween Windows XP and Linux GUI ?

Which Linux GUI? I like the version of gnome that comes with Fedora FC3
better than XP. Other's not so much. But then trolls aren't really
interested in a serious answer are you?

Kerry

> --------------= Posted using GrabIt =----------------
> ------= Binary Usenet downloading made easy =---------
> -= Get GrabIt for free from http://www.shemes.com/ =-

Which Linux GUI? KDE? Gnome?
Which Windows GUI? Classic? XP?

Fact is, the major differences are in the operating system code, not in the
GUI. Anyone can get used to the minor differences in a GUI in no time.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Michel DETEST" <mdetest@f-g.fr> wrote in message
> What do you think about the difference beetween Windows XP and Linux GUI ?
>

> --------------= Posted using GrabIt =----------------
> ------= Binary Usenet downloading made easy =---------
> -= Get GrabIt for free from http://www.shemes.com/ =-

Stephen

Kerry Brown wrote:
>> "Michel DETEST" <mdetest@f-g.fr> wrote in message
>>> What do you think about the difference beetween Windows XP and
>>> Linux GUI ?
>>>

>> Which Linux GUI? I like the version of gnome that comes with Fedora
>> FC3 better than XP.

I hate the one that comes with Fedora. More than an eyesoar, it's an ugly
monstrosity. I especially hate the gnome taskbar and the second-rate gnome
menu system.

"Stephen" <stephen@online.nospam> wrote in message
> Kerry Brown wrote:
>>> "Michel DETEST" <mdetest@f-g.fr> wrote in message
>>>>

>>> Which Linux GUI? I like the version of gnome that comes with Fedora
>>> FC3 better than XP.
>
> I hate the one that comes with Fedora. More than an eyesoar, it's an ugly
> monstrosity. I especially hate the gnome taskbar and the second-rate gnome
> menu system.

LOL, tell us what you really think. I guess it's a personal thing. I don't
know why I like it, I just do. I have customised it a bit but then you can
do that in XP as well. In the end the GUI has little to do with how the OS
actually works and all of the current crop of GUIs seem to work well enough
and can be customised to suit the individual. With a bit of practice you can
get used to anything. I'm even starting to be able to use the keyboard on a
Treo phone, hardly ever need the stylus any more :)

Kerry

Stephen

Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
>> Which Linux GUI? KDE? Gnome?
>> Which Windows GUI? Classic? XP?
>>
>> Fact is, the major differences are in the operating system code, not
>> in the GUI. Anyone can get used to the minor differences in a GUI in
>> no time.

I can't. I find the GUIs avaiable for Linux cumbersome and ugly, covonluted
and difficult. They are so poorly thought out it is not even funny. The K
and Gnome versions are the worst bug ridden pieces of cr*p I've ever been
subjected to in my life.

I wouldn't put Linux on one of my computers. The grub bootloader literally
infests the harddrive and won't leave even if you partition. The only way to
get rid of the thing is to zero-fill.

Stephen

Michel DETEST wrote:
>> What do you think about the difference beetween Windows XP and Linux
>> GUI ?

Windows is flexible, useable, skinable, colourful and generally good to work
with. Whether the computer is in the workshop or on the road it's a good
tool to work with and sensibly designed for to navigate. If you don't like
things too fancy, you can change the look and feel back to Classic if you
want .. you can even change how it functions back to Classic. I find the big
Start menu really convenient. And I find the flexibility good.

The GUIs available for Linux are excuses for GUIs. They are poorly thought
out, badly arranged, and ugly, not is a utilitarian way, but in a
disappointing way. They are also binky. And they fail - KDE and Gnome both
crash, and crash often. They simply cannot be depended on. Drag-and-drop
support is completely disappointing and unreliable. The colour schemes etc.
are second-rate. And despite claims otherwise, the GUI if you really look at
it, is very inflexible.

Worse, a lot of the code is written by hackers so there's the inherent
security risk of spy code being inserted into any distro. Furthermore Grub,
the bootloader, oversteps its bounds and infests the harddrive to the point
where even re-partitioning, let alone reformatting, won't get rid of it. The
whole attitude of Linux is wrong. It is a disappoint of an "operating
system" if you can call a big pile of dogsh*t an operating system.

Windows, on the other hand, runs on an open platform, is free from
self-appointed guru snob gods who look down on everyone, is understood by
millions. It's useful, functional and has open programming APIs that make
for "run everywhere" programming.

Stephen

Kerry Brown wrote:
>> "Stephen" <stephen@online.nospam> wrote in message

>>> I hate the one that comes with Fedora. More than an eyesoar, it's
>>> an ugly monstrosity. I especially hate the gnome taskbar and the
>>> second-rate gnome menu system.
>>>

>> LOL, tell us what you really think. I guess it's a personal thing. I
>> don't know why I like it, I just do. I have customised it a bit but
>> then you can do that in XP as well. In the end the GUI has little to
>> do with how the OS actually works and all of the current crop of
>> GUIs seem to work well enough and can be customised to suit the
>> individual. With a bit of practice you can get used to anything. I'm
>> even starting to be able to use the keyboard on a Treo phone, hardly
>> ever need the stylus any more :)
>>
>> Kerry

I couldn't get used to Linux nor any of its excuses-for-GUIs. Dogsh*t makes
me gag so there's no getting used to it.

Armin

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2004

Bob I wrote:
> Well, one is the topic of the is NG and the other isn't.

We have a winner folks. Someone who actually gets it!

Give the man a Cupie doll!

Armin

Michel DETEST wrote:

> What do you think about the difference beetween Windows XP and Linux GUI ?
>

> --------------= Posted using GrabIt =----------------
> ------= Binary Usenet downloading made easy =---------
> -= Get GrabIt for free from http://www.shemes.com/ =-

Simon

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001

> Which Linux GUI? I like the version of gnome that comes with Fedora FC3
> better than XP. Other's not so much. But then trolls aren't really
> interested in a serious answer are you?

While we are feeding the troll we might as well ask.
Are their any other 'desktop' applications than the one that comes standard
with XP?

I don't mean one by MS, but a third party application.

> Kerry

Simon

Stephen

Simon wrote:
>>> Which Linux GUI? I like the version of gnome that comes with Fedora
>>> FC3 better than XP. Other's not so much. But then trolls aren't
>>> really interested in a serious answer are you?
>>
>> While we are feeding the troll we might as well ask.
>> Are their any other 'desktop' applications than the one that comes
>> standard with XP?
>>
>> I don't mean one by MS, but a third party application.
>>
>>> Kerry
>>
>> Simon

Right off the top, many / most of the hardware drivers are supplied by their
respective manufacturers. And many technologies might be licenced by
Microsoft for use in their Windows software. Notice the defragmentation
tool! But if you mean outright competing software? No, there's not much. But
then do you expect Foldgers tins to come with packets of Maxwell House
coffee? Should you expect that?

Its like apples and oranges

Regards
Mark Dormer

Mark Dormer wrote:
>> Its like apples and oranges
>>
>> Regards
>> Mark Dormer

Yeah, like Microsoft apples and oranges and Linux dogsh*t.