Installing Outlook Express

June 10, 2005 4:34:02 AM

I just got a new computer with windows XP and got everything installed except
Outlook Express, non web based. I had Outlook Express on the old computer
with windows 98SE and ran Outlook Express just fine. I now get a screen
asking for my password that does not match, saying password or user problem
with a box containing 16 characters, no clue as to what that is. A box also
comes up saying there is an error in the program and am not able to continue.
I am at a loss as to what to do to correct this problem. I have tried to
delete Outlook Express and start over but that doesn't work either. Does
anyone have any clues?
--
Margaret
June 10, 2005 6:26:01 AM

"Margaret" wrote:

> I just got a new computer with windows XP and got everything installed except
> Outlook Express, non web based.

What do you mean by "non-web based"?

>I had Outlook Express on the old computer

It comes as part of XP as well.

> with windows 98SE and ran Outlook Express just fine. I now get a screen
> asking for my password that does not match, saying password or user problem
> with a box containing 16 characters, no clue as to what that is. A box also
> comes up saying there is an error in the program and am not able to continue.

When does this screen appear?

> I am at a loss as to what to do to correct this problem. I have tried to
> delete Outlook Express and start over but that doesn't work either. Does
> anyone have any clues?
> --
> Margaret
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 7:33:02 AM

Hi Margaret - I'm not an MVP or anything but I can at least try and help you.

Some where along the line on your old system that had OE on it, you, or
someone else HAD to have set up your mail server account(s) with your
username, password, etc.... it is my humble opinion that that is what is
going on. You need to get into OE setup menu for email account(s) and set up
your username and password (as well as the mail server address/domain name).
If you don't have the server information, then you need to contact your ISP
to find it out.

Hope this helps

Lonnie

"Margaret" wrote:

> I just got a new computer with windows XP and got everything installed except
> Outlook Express, non web based. I had Outlook Express on the old computer
> with windows 98SE and ran Outlook Express just fine. I now get a screen
> asking for my password that does not match, saying password or user problem
> with a box containing 16 characters, no clue as to what that is. A box also
> comes up saying there is an error in the program and am not able to continue.
> I am at a loss as to what to do to correct this problem. I have tried to
> delete Outlook Express and start over but that doesn't work either. Does
> anyone have any clues?
> --
> Margaret
June 10, 2005 9:52:49 AM

With XP, the password box will contain 16 charcaters evevif your password is
less characters.
Enter the user name and password again.
--
Ron Sommer

"Margaret" <Margaret@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just got a new computer with windows XP and got everything installed
>except
> Outlook Express, non web based. I had Outlook Express on the old computer
> with windows 98SE and ran Outlook Express just fine. I now get a screen
> asking for my password that does not match, saying password or user
> problem
> with a box containing 16 characters, no clue as to what that is. A box
> also
> comes up saying there is an error in the program and am not able to
> continue.
> I am at a loss as to what to do to correct this problem. I have tried to
> delete Outlook Express and start over but that doesn't work either. Does
> anyone have any clues?
> --
> Margaret
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 6:30:54 PM

Margaret wrote:
> I just got a new computer with windows XP and got everything installed
> except Outlook Express, non web based. I had Outlook Express on the old
> computer with windows 98SE and ran Outlook Express just fine. I now get a
> screen asking for my password that does not match, saying password or
> user problem with a box containing 16 characters, no clue as to what that
> is.

Post the complete message.

> A box also comes up saying there is an error in the program and am
> not able to continue.

Post the complete error message.
--
OE6-specific newsgroup:

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security, AH-VSOP
!