how to connect a RCA 3.5 mm output to a DIGITAL in on my r..

Last response: in Home Audio
December 22, 2004 4:05:10 AM

Hello all, I recently purchased a SONY viao rz54g PC. which has an RCA
digtal 3.5 mm out jack.

Now, I have checked, and I cant figure out which cable to get so that I
can connect it to my SHERWOOD 8090R receiver which has optical and
DIGITAL inputs.

thanks.
Anonymous
December 22, 2004 5:39:55 AM

<cheerful@registerednurses.com> wrote:

>Hello all, I recently purchased a SONY viao rz54g PC. which has an RCA
>digtal 3.5 mm out jack.

You need to get your specs correct. If it's RCA then it's not 3.5 mm
(also known as 1/8-inch miniplug).

The S/PDIF digital audio data format has two common physical connectors:
RCA plug/jack for electrical (coaxial) output/input, and Toslink
plug/jack for optical output/input. Some companies use 3.5 mm
miniplugs/minijacks, and you have to determine (or you have to ask them)
whether these carry an electrical or optical signal; some carry both.

moskowit@core-sound.com Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912
Anonymous
December 23, 2004 3:35:45 AM

<cheerful@registerednurses.com> wrote in message
> Hello all, I recently purchased a SONY viao rz54g PC. which has an RCA
> digtal 3.5 mm out jack.
>
> Now, I have checked, and I cant figure out which cable to get so that I
> can connect it to my SHERWOOD 8090R receiver which has optical and
> DIGITAL inputs.

You need a single 75ohm cable with RCA connectors. These may be sold as
special "digital" cables; they may be sold as a "video" (yellow band) cable.
Either generally will do. Monster makes a very acceptable one at a modest
price, as does Radio Shack.
Anonymous
December 28, 2004 6:35:14 PM

You need to find out if it is optical or coaxial output.

I picked up a 3.5mm to regular Toslink Optical cable a couple of years ago
from my local hifi retailer without any problems. That is the digital output
from my Panasonic portable DVD player.

Regards

Kevin Smith

!