SATA drive not detected

Doomed

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2003
I just got me a maxtoer 80Gb DiamondMax Plus9 SATA drive to go with my Asus A7N8X Deluxe and other bits.
I am sure that I have set it up correctly, I can hear it spinning up, the HDD light flickers but I can see no hard drive in bios, and can see no hard drive when booting with the win98 start up disk.

2 questions:
Why can't my system 'see' the HD in bios?
Can I do a fresh install of Win98SE with this drive?

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
It should only detect the SATA controller in the bios.

Not even XP setup can see the drives by default. You have to copy the drivers to a floppy, then when it asks at the beginning of windows setup, hit F6 to load third party drivers, put the floppy in, and load them from there. After that it'll work.

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.

Doomed

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2003
Thank you for the response.
I have got my motherboard to admit that there is a SATA drive connected, and have tested it fully with the maxtor diagnostics floppy - so the hardware is fully OK.

However - I am still stumped on how to get win98SE installed - if I had XP I understand you hit F6, but how about when booting from my 98 floppy - I don't seem to get a chance to install third party drivers.
Any help would be appriciated!

Doomed

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2003
No - the 98 disk would not acknowledge the existance of a hard drive UNTIL..... I downloaded a setup disk from maxtor (thank goodness for having more then one machine), with the setup disk initialising the SATA drive win98 was happy and it all works.

The question is would of the set up disk of been included if I had not bought a OEM drive.....