Ascension broken disc 2

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

Tried to re-install ultima9 and disc 2 was not in the box. Looked all
around and finally found it in the garage, broken in half! any
suggestions?

Samurai

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2002

Quoth geminichristmas <abo@riginal.com>:
>Tried to re-install ultima9 and disc 2 was not in the box. Looked all
>around and finally found it in the garage, broken in half! any
>suggestions?

EA will sometimes replace broken discs, for a charge. Try e-mailing
their customer support address, or sending off a query from here:
http://eatech.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/eatech.cfg/php/enduser/cci/home.php

Failing that, you might be able to find a cheap U9 on eBay. HTH.
\^\^//
,^ ( ..) Samurai Dragon -==UDIC Sig Code==-
| \ \ -==(UDIC)==- d++e+N T--Om+U146MA7'! L8u uC++
\ `^--^ \\\\\\////// uF-uG++uLB+uA+nC++uR nH+nP+++
\ \ \ (2 Attentive Points) nI--nPT nS+++nT--wM-wC y+ a28
ksj ^--^ ___________________________________________________________

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

Dreaming geminichristmas woke me up by screaming

> Tried to re-install ultima9 and disc 2 was not in the box. Looked all
> around and finally found it in the garage, broken in half! any
> suggestions?

Adding to Samurai's answer, it might be possible to recover the files by
gluing the disc together. Do that (with a super-glue or so) and try to
extract an image with CDR-Win or so.
I'd give it a 40% chance of being successful.

--
Dominus Dragon -=UDIC=- aka Dominik Reichardt (Remove NOSPAM to mail)
My homepage with funny content :) http://Beam.To/Dominik/

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 12:46:24 GMT, Dominus Dragon
<GigDR@NOSPAMtesionmail.de> wrote:

>Dreaming geminichristmas woke me up by screaming
>
>> Tried to re-install ultima9 and disc 2 was not in the box. Looked all
>> around and finally found it in the garage, broken in half! any
>> suggestions?
>
>Adding to Samurai's answer, it might be possible to recover the files by
>gluing the disc together. Do that (with a super-glue or so) and try to
>extract an image with CDR-Win or so.
>I'd give it a 40% chance of being successful.

I'd give it a 0% chance of the disc being recognized at all and a 80%
chance of the disc exploding apart when the drive spins up.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

Dominus Dragon <GigDR@NOSPAMtesionmail.de> wrote in

> gluing the disc together. Do that (with a super-glue or so) and try to
> extract an image with CDR-Win or so.

Be sure to let the glue dry out properly first, though. :)))))

--
Arcana Dragon -==(UDIC)==-
d++e++N++T+++Om-KAWML!34567'!S'!8!9!u+uC+uF+++uG-u

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

Arcana Dragon <this@ress.is.invalid> wrote in news:4086ea10$0$140
$edfadb0f@dread11.news.tele.dk:

> Be sure to let the glue dry out properly first, though. :)))))

(On the other hand - with U9 it doesn't make the heck of a lot of
difference anyway, so glue away...)

--
Arcana Dragon -==(UDIC)==-
d++e++N++T+++Om-KAWML!34567'!S'!8!9!u+uC+uF+++uG-u
LB®----uAnC+nH++nP+nI----nPT-nS+++nT----o---oE---xz
http://www.phyton.dk/games.htm

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

Greetings.

In article <la6d80plf7riv9kv5ausgl7jb26hhfi6c6@4ax.com>, Polychromic wrote:
>>Adding to Samurai's answer, it might be possible to recover the files by
>>gluing the disc together. Do that (with a super-glue or so) and try to
>>extract an image with CDR-Win or so.
>>I'd give it a 40% chance of being successful.
>
> I'd give it a 0% chance of the disc being recognized at all and a 80%
> chance of the disc exploding apart when the drive spins up.

With today's 50x drives, maybe, but if there's some way the OP can get the
drive to spin slower, or if he has access to an older 1x or 2x drive, then
it might be worth a try.

Regards,
Tristan

--
_

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

Dreaming Tristan Miller woke me up by screaming

>>>Adding to Samurai's answer, it might be possible to recover the files
>>>by gluing the disc together. Do that (with a super-glue or so) and
>>>try to extract an image with CDR-Win or so.
>>>I'd give it a 40% chance of being successful.
>>
>> I'd give it a 0% chance of the disc being recognized at all and a 80%
>> chance of the disc exploding apart when the drive spins up.
>
> With today's 50x drives, maybe, but if there's some way the OP can get
> the drive to spin slower, or if he has access to an older 1x or 2x
> drive, then it might be worth a try.

uh, yeah, a spin-down utility might be wise :)

As a CD-Rom is not read in a circular mode like a record is played it might
really have a chance to succeed.

--
Dominus Dragon -=UDIC=- aka Dominik Reichardt (Remove NOSPAM to mail)
My homepage with funny content :) http://Beam.To/Dominik/
Part of the Exult team (Docs/FAQ) http://exult.sourceforge.net/
d++ e+ N+ T+ Om+ U1234!5!67'!S'!8!9!A!WML!K u+ uC+ uF uG uLB----
uA+ nC+ nR nH nP+ nI nPT- nS nT o---- oE-- y a(born 1976)