blank application appears in taskbar

a blank application appears at random times in the taskbar. The application
has no name and just a plain window icon. It appears for only a second in
the taskbar then disappears. the only time I can consistently see it is
after rebooting the machine it always appears. when it appears at random
times I cannot identify it. I have recently completely formatted hard drive
and reinstalled XP. Tried Spy Sweeper and Spybot with no problems reported.
What is this mystery application and how can I log computers booting up to
see what it is.
3 answers Last reply
More about blank application appears taskbar

    davidh wrote:

    > a blank application appears at random times in the taskbar. The
    > application
    > has no name and just a plain window icon. It appears for only a
    > second in
    > the taskbar then disappears. the only time I can consistently see it
    > is
    > after rebooting the machine it always appears. when it appears at
    > random
    > times I cannot identify it. I have recently completely formatted hard
    > drive
    > and reinstalled XP. Tried Spy Sweeper and Spybot with no problems
    > reported. What is this mystery application and how can I log computers
    > booting up to see what it is.

    Try clean-boot troubleshooting:

    Clean Boot - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=310353
    and How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP -
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310560

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    =?Utf-8?B?ZGF2aWRo?= wrote:

    > a blank application appears at random times in the taskbar. The application
    > has no name and just a plain window icon. It appears for only a second in
    > the taskbar then disappears. the only time I can consistently see it is
    > after rebooting the machine it always appears. when it appears at random
    > times I cannot identify it. I have recently completely formatted hard drive
    > and reinstalled XP. Tried Spy Sweeper and Spybot with no problems reported.
    > What is this mystery application and how can I log computers booting up to
    > see what it is.

    My guess is that when you reinstalled XP you also reinstalled the
    program that is creating the blanks. Generally, this is not
    spyware/malware, but some free utility or small free application that
    just has some bugs. I test lots of software, and that happens with some
    programs. I'ts basically just an annoyance. You just have to find the
    app you have running 24/7 that is causing it.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    I recently had a similar experience. I found out in my case that the
    annoyance was caused by an application that is part of my HP multi-function
    printer, specifically the program "hptskmgr.exe". I simply disabled it from
    starting up on msconfig and problem solved. I have not noticed any changes in
    the functionality of my printer, either. I hope this helps and good luck!

    "davidh" wrote:

    > a blank application appears at random times in the taskbar. The application
    > has no name and just a plain window icon. It appears for only a second in
    > the taskbar then disappears. the only time I can consistently see it is
    > after rebooting the machine it always appears. when it appears at random
    > times I cannot identify it. I have recently completely formatted hard drive
    > and reinstalled XP. Tried Spy Sweeper and Spybot with no problems reported.
    > What is this mystery application and how can I log computers booting up to
    > see what it is.

Taskbar Microsoft Windows XP