ultima 6 on XP with midi possible?

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

hello,
today i installed ultima 6 on windows xp. with vdmsound and dosbox it
is easy to get sound, BUT...only adlib setting in the u6-install will
produce sound at all.

i tried the midi update and manipulated some ini - settings in
vdmsound but with no luck --> game starts with no sound at all.
does anyone of you had more luck with this?
should i try another emulator (which)?
is there still hope?

ralf
6 answers Last reply
More about ultima midi possible
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

    Ralfi wrote:

    > hello,
    > today i installed ultima 6 on windows xp. with vdmsound and dosbox it
    > is easy to get sound, BUT...only adlib setting in the u6-install will
    > produce sound at all.

    > i tried the midi update and manipulated some ini - settings in
    > vdmsound but with no luck --> game starts with no sound at all.
    > does anyone of you had more luck with this?
    > should i try another emulator (which)?
    > is there still hope?

    Ultima 6 uses the Intelligent MPU-401, as implemented by Roland.
    Most soundcards and emulators only support UART mode in their
    MPU-401 emulation.

    I have a feeling that someone wrote a replacement MIDI driver
    for U6 that contains all the intelligence needed to play the
    sounds and output them to a dumb UART-mode MPU-401, but I cannot
    remember where. (Ack.. is that what you meant earlier?)

    DOSBOX also supports MT32, although I think it needs some kind
    of plugin and a sample rom of 'grey-area' legality. That's
    another approach you might consider.

    --
    JP Morris - aka DOUG the Eagle (Dragon) -=UDIC=- jpm@it-he.org
    Fun things to do with the Ultima games http://www.it-he.org

    >I have a feeling that someone wrote a replacement MIDI driver
    >for U6 that contains all the intelligence needed to play the
    >sounds and output them to a dumb UART-mode MPU-401, but I cannot
    >remember where. (Ack.. is that what you meant earlier?)

    yes, tried this one

    >DOSBOX also supports MT32, although I think it needs some kind
    >of plugin and a sample rom of 'grey-area' legality. That's
    >another approach you might consider.

    plugin? never heard of that before. i´ll try to find it.

    ralf
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

    >>I have a feeling that someone wrote a replacement MIDI driver
    >>for U6 that contains all the intelligence needed to play the
    >>sounds and output them to a dumb UART-mode MPU-401, but I cannot
    >>remember where. (Ack.. is that what you meant earlier?)
    >>
    >yes, tried this one
    >
    >>DOSBOX also supports MT32, although I think it needs some kind
    >>of plugin and a sample rom of 'grey-area' legality. That's
    >>another approach you might consider.
    >
    >plugin? never heard of that before. i´ll try to find it.
    >
    >ralf

    Hello,
    I finally managed to get midi music.
    Easy solution: I ´ve downloaded the latest Version of VDMSound. It
    works with the original Roland Driver AND with the replacement driver
    (which sounds much better - correct midi mapping).

    thanks for the help,
    ralf
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

    Hello

    the game music get some improvement from be played from MIDI instead Adlib?

    Thanks for the answer

    Manuel

    "ralfi" <rsander@addcom.de> escribió en el mensaje
    > >>I have a feeling that someone wrote a replacement MIDI driver
    > >>for U6 that contains all the intelligence needed to play the
    > >>sounds and output them to a dumb UART-mode MPU-401, but I cannot
    > >>remember where. (Ack.. is that what you meant earlier?)
    > >>
    > >yes, tried this one
    > >
    > >>DOSBOX also supports MT32, although I think it needs some kind
    > >>of plugin and a sample rom of 'grey-area' legality. That's
    > >>another approach you might consider.
    > >
    > >plugin? never heard of that before. i´ll try to find it.
    > >
    > >ralf
    >

    > Hello,
    > I finally managed to get midi music.
    > Easy solution: I ´ve downloaded the latest Version of VDMSound. It
    > works with the original Roland Driver AND with the replacement driver
    > (which sounds much better - correct midi mapping).
    >
    > thanks for the help,
    > ralf
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

    On Thu, 6 May 2004 14:36:16 +0200, "Manuel" <mmasias75@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >Hello
    >
    >the game music get some improvement from be played from MIDI instead Adlib?
    >
    >Thanks for the answer
    >
    >Manuel

    Oh yes, for sure!
    Try for yourself, it really matters.
    Greetings,
    Ralf
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

    Manuel wrote:

    > Hello
    >
    > the game music get some improvement from be played from MIDI instead
    > Adlib?

    Depends what you're into. I've always felt that the Adlib music
    lends the game a mid-1980s synthesizer feel to it, which I rather
    like. And you need a decent bass synthesizer for the bootup music..

    --
    JP Morris - aka DOUG the Eagle (Dragon) -=UDIC=- jpm@it-he.org
    Fun things to do with the Ultima games http://www.it-he.org
    Reign of the Just - An Ultima clone http://rotj.it-he.org