Remove E-Mail icon from Start menu

I would like to remove just the e-mail icon from the start menu in the
upper left hand corner using either a registry change or group policy?
I want my users to still have access to the internet explorer icon though.

Thanks!

Matthew
12 answers Last reply
More about remove mail icon start menu

    Matthew Clark wrote:
    > I would like to remove just the e-mail icon from the start menu in the
    > upper left hand corner using either a registry change or group policy?
    > I want my users to still have access to the internet explorer icon
    > though.
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Matthew

    Just right click on it and choose Remove from This List.

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt

    I know you can do that, but I can't do that for every lab user that logs
    in. I NEED to be able to do it via GP or Registry.

    Matthew

    kurttrail wrote:
    > Matthew Clark wrote:
    >
    >>I would like to remove just the e-mail icon from the start menu in the
    >>upper left hand corner using either a registry change or group policy?
    >>I want my users to still have access to the internet explorer icon
    >>though.
    >>Thanks!
    >>
    >>Matthew
    >

    > Just right click on it and choose Remove from This List.

    Right-click Start button. Choose Properties. Click the Customize
    button on the Start Menu tab. Clear the E-mail checkbox in the Show
    On Start Menu section of the dialog box. Click OK. Click Apply.
    Click OK.

    HTH

    Matthew Clark wrote:
    > I know you can do that, but I can't do that for every lab user that
    > logs in. I NEED to be able to do it via GP or Registry.
    >
    > Matthew
    >
    > kurttrail wrote:
    >> Matthew Clark wrote:
    >>
    >>> I would like to remove just the e-mail icon from the start menu in
    >>> the upper left hand corner using either a registry change or group
    >>> policy? I want my users to still have access to the internet
    >>> explorer icon though.
    >>> Thanks!
    >>>
    >>> Matthew
    >>

    >> Just right click on it and choose Remove from This List.

    http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLG,GGLG:2005-21,GGLG:en&q=XP+Start+Menu+Registry

    Simple web search would have saved you some frustration.

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

    I HAVE done a google search on this and came up with the same stuff you
    found. There is nothing I can find that removes JUST the E-mail icon.

    kurttrail wrote:
    > Matthew Clark wrote:
    >
    >>I know you can do that, but I can't do that for every lab user that
    >>logs in. I NEED to be able to do it via GP or Registry.
    >>
    >>Matthew
    >>
    >>kurttrail wrote:

    >>>Just right click on it and choose Remove from This List.
    >

    > http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLG,GGLG:2005-21,GGLG:en&q=XP+Start+Menu+Registry
    >
    > Simple web search would have saved you some frustration.

    I don't know if you saw my previous post, but this will not work in my
    situation. Thanks though.

    Matthew Clark wrote:
    > I HAVE done a google search on this and came up with the same stuff
    > you found. There is nothing I can find that removes JUST the E-mail
    > icon.

    I have found something.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q297878

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

    I found that article as well, but if I understand it correctly, it only
    talks about how to change the default e-mail client and make it active
    in the start menu, not remove it completely. It is very possible there
    is no solution, but I figgured, if you uncheck that box in the GUI it
    would change a registry key...

    Matthew

    Matthew Clark wrote:
    > I found that article as well, but if I understand it correctly, it
    > only talks about how to change the default e-mail client and make it
    > active in the start menu, not remove it completely. It is very
    > possible there is no solution, but I figgured, if you uncheck that
    > box in the GUI it would change a registry key...

    If you delete the "Mail" key from both

    HKLM\Software\Clients\

    HKCU\Software\Clients\

    You will have removed the email from being displayed on the Start Menu.
    And you will have also deleted choice in the dropdown box in the Taskbar
    and Start Menu Properties, but the Check Mark is still there.

    Of course none of that stops your users from opening email through other
    means.

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

    Hi Matthew,

    Thanks for posting!

    Please understand that our newsgroup is focused on the break/fix issues.
    Personally, based on my research, there is no Group Policy or registry to
    accomplish the goal. In additional, it is recommended you may contact
    Microsoft Customer Support Services (CSS) via telephone so that a dedicated
    Support Professional can assist you further. Please be advised that
    contacting phone support will be a charged call.

    To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a
    look at the web site listed below.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

    If you are outside the US please see http://support.microsoft.com for
    regional support phone numbers.

    Thanks & Regards,

    Jason Tan

    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    --------------------
    | Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 08:45:35 -0500
    | From: Matthew Clark <MD-Clark@nospam.wiu.edu>
    | Subject: Remove E-Mail icon from Start menu
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
    |
    | I would like to remove just the e-mail icon from the start menu in the
    | upper left hand corner using either a registry change or group policy?
    | I want my users to still have access to the internet explorer icon though.
    |
    | Thanks!
    |
    | Matthew

  12. Thanks I love working in the registry, so much Power you have over the GUI its Crazy now to Add this to my VBscript file Thanks Again for the fast link guys tomshardware the best.

Start Menu Email Windows XP