HELP: I WTB Ultima VII

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

Hey, I hope this group can help me. Something like 7 or 8 years ago, I got
Ultima VII The Black Gate on a Fatasy collection disc of some sort or
another. I was too young to get the game down right, but I remember enough
to know that I'd really enjoy getting a chance to play it again. Only thing
is I can't find a copy anywhere. It seems I can find every other version,
but 7. Anyone have a copy I can borrow or buy? Or can someone point me to
a website where the game can be found? Thanks!

--
Andrew Fitzgerald
qx1010@bellsouth.net

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

On Thu, 6 May 2004 12:27:30 -0400, "Andrew Fitzgerald @ GT"
<qx1010@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>Hey, I hope this group can help me. Something like 7 or 8 years ago, I got
>Ultima VII The Black Gate on a Fatasy collection disc of some sort or
>another. I was too young to get the game down right, but I remember enough
>to know that I'd really enjoy getting a chance to play it again. Only thing
>is I can't find a copy anywhere. It seems I can find every other version,
>but 7. Anyone have a copy I can borrow or buy? Or can someone point me to
>a website where the game can be found? Thanks!

They seem to have some here:
http://www.cdaccess.com/html/pc/eacomp.htm

Also, there is always Ebay.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

In article <v6sk90180421nr9chrdv0f27bk5ut8tmgf@4ax.com>,
macecil@comcast.net says...
> They seem to have some here:
> http://www.cdaccess.com/html/pc/eacomp.htm
>
> Also, there is always Ebay.

Yes... I would suggest searching for the 'Ultima Collection'. :)

If you have troubles getting the game to run, feel free to come back
here.
--
-==[UDIC]==-
http://www.fictionpress.com/~wtcher

MERLIN

"Polychromic" <macecil@comcast.net> skrev i en meddelelse
> On Thu, 6 May 2004 12:27:30 -0400, "Andrew Fitzgerald @ GT"
> <qx1010@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
> >Hey, I hope this group can help me. Something like 7 or 8 years ago, I
got
> >Ultima VII The Black Gate on a Fatasy collection disc of some sort or
> >another. I was too young to get the game down right, but I remember
enough
> >to know that I'd really enjoy getting a chance to play it again. Only
thing
> >is I can't find a copy anywhere. It seems I can find every other
version,
> >but 7. Anyone have a copy I can borrow or buy? Or can someone point
me to
> >a website where the game can be found? Thanks!
>
> They seem to have some here:
> http://www.cdaccess.com/html/pc/eacomp.htm
>
> Also, there is always Ebay.
>
> --
> Michael Cecil
> http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

There is also a 'used books, games, etc' section on
Amazon.com

Akatosh Dragon

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

I got mine from kazaa
search for "Ultima complete collection" or somthign like that.. bout 120 meg

"Andrew Fitzgerald @ GT" <qx1010@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Hey, I hope this group can help me. Something like 7 or 8 years ago, I got
> Ultima VII The Black Gate on a Fatasy collection disc of some sort or
> another. I was too young to get the game down right, but I remember
enough
> to know that I'd really enjoy getting a chance to play it again. Only
thing
> is I can't find a copy anywhere. It seems I can find every other version,
> but 7. Anyone have a copy I can borrow or buy? Or can someone point me
> a website where the game can be found? Thanks!
>

> --
> Andrew Fitzgerald
> qx1010@bellsouth.net
> "If the car feels safe, then you're not going fast enough."
> - Parnelli Jones

Samurai

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2002

Quoth "Andrew Fitzgerald @ GT" <qx1010@bellsouth.net>:
> It seems I can find every other version, but 7. Anyone have a copy I
> can borrow or buy? Or can someone point me to a website where the
> game can be found? Thanks!

It's illegal to download any of the Ultimas except U4, and then only one
distribution of the files, from certain places. The FAQ has more
details, but I've seen copies of The Complete U7 and other variants pop
up on eBay fairly frequently. Try there.
\^\^//
,^ ( ..) Samurai Dragon -==UDIC Sig Code==-
| \ \ -==(UDIC)==- d++e+N T--Om+U146MA7'! L8u uC++
\ `^--^ \\\\\\\/////// uF-uG++uLB+uA+nC++uR nH+nP+++
\ \ \ (2 Attentive Points) nI--nPT nS+++nT--wM-wC y+ a28
ksj ^--^ ___________________________________________________________

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

the one on kazaa has all the ultimas set up to run on todays super
computers.
well worth the download and to avoid the risk of eBay.

"Samurai" <Samurai@his.reply-to.address> wrote in message
> Quoth "Andrew Fitzgerald @ GT" <qx1010@bellsouth.net>:
> > It seems I can find every other version, but 7. Anyone have a copy I
> > can borrow or buy? Or can someone point me to a website where the
> > game can be found? Thanks!
>
> It's illegal to download any of the Ultimas except U4, and then only one
> distribution of the files, from certain places. The FAQ has more
> details, but I've seen copies of The Complete U7 and other variants pop
> up on eBay fairly frequently. Try there.
> \^\^//
> ,^ ( ..) Samurai Dragon -==UDIC Sig Code==-
> | \ \ -==(UDIC)==- d++e+N T--Om+U146MA7'! L8u uC++
> \ `^--^ \\\\\\\/////// uF-uG++uLB+uA+nC++uR nH+nP+++
> \ \ \ (2 Attentive Points) nI--nPT nS+++nT--wM-wC y+ a28
> ksj ^--^ ___________________________________________________________

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

Actually, in my experience, the risk is about even, or even tipped in favor
of being screwed by eBay. Now that's my experience, but I still got it off
eBay and am very happy with it. The seller even refunded some of my
shipping and said she had put the wrong price for shipping on the auction.
That made me happy using eBay for the first time in a dozen transactions.

In article <cbepo2$in9$1@news-int.gatech.edu>,
Andrew Fitzgerald @ GT <qx1010@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>> (The risk of a virus from KaZaA is more likely than being screwed by eBay)
>>
>Actually, in my experience, the risk is about even, or even tipped in favor
>of being screwed by eBay. Now that's my experience, but I still got it off
>eBay and am very happy with it. The seller even refunded some of my
>shipping and said she had put the wrong price for shipping on the auction.
>That made me happy using eBay for the first time in a dozen transactions.

I'm in the middle of a conflict dispute with eBay, and I can say that it's
more trouble than it's worth. In a nutshell, it takes three months to
recover any lost money, and then you're only eligible to receive 80
percent of it up to a specific limit. The dispute system is designed to
make you seriously think about being willing to put up with the paperwork.

eBay's parrotted defense is that they aren't responsible for scams or
cheats, and that they only bring people together. Now without the visual
cues of body language and eye contact, how many of the world's population
are you willing to enter into a business agreement with? The more
widespread Internet access becomes, the more risky services like eBay will
get. eBay brings together people who under normal circumstances would
likely kill each other.

-KKC, who's only out $125 on a bad purchase, but that's $125 too much.
--
-- "I'm going to put a nickel in this jar every time I get - kendrick
a phone call from a mortgage company trying to make me - @io.com

Samurai

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2002
Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

Quoth "Andrew Fitzgerald @ GT" <qx1010@bellsouth.net>:
>Actually, in my experience, the risk is about even, or even tipped in
>favor of being screwed by eBay. Now that's my experience, but I still
>got it off eBay and am very happy with it. The seller even refunded
>some of my shipping and said she had put the wrong price for shipping
>on the auction. That made me happy using eBay for the first time in a
>dozen transactions.

And you gain an Eighth for Honesty as well. Everyone's a winner. :)
\^\^//

Quoth "EggBert" <EggzRnice@the.henhouse.Bok>:
>the one on kazaa has all the ultimas set up to run on todays super
>computers.

And the FAQ explains several ways to make them work rather better than
the likely setups you'll download. :)

>well worth the download and to avoid the risk of eBay.

*shrug* I've rarely had problems with them -- though eBay Europe's
customer support, it must be said, is dreadful.
\^\^//
,^ ( ..) Samurai Dragon -==UDIC Sig Code==-
| \ \ -==(UDIC)==- d++e+N T--Om+U146MA7'! L8u uC++
\ `^--^ \\\\\\\/////// uF-uG++uLB+uA+nC++uR nH+nP+++
\ \ \ (2 Attentive Points) nI--nPT nS+++nT--wM-wC y+ a28
ksj ^--^ ___________________________________________________________

Samurai

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2002
Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

Quoth kendrick@io.com (Kendrick Kerwin Chua):
[munch]
>eBay's parrotted defense is that they aren't responsible for scams or
>cheats, and that they only bring people together. Now without the visual
>cues of body language and eye contact, how many of the world's population
>are you willing to enter into a business agreement with?

That's what the feedback system is for. If you only buy from people
with more than 50 points, all positive, you're very likely to be fine.
\^\^//

In article <40db5d89.48334975@usenet.plus.net>,
Samurai <Samurai@daisho.plus.com> wrote:
>Quoth kendrick@io.com (Kendrick Kerwin Chua):
>[munch]
>>eBay's parrotted defense is that they aren't responsible for scams or
>>cheats, and that they only bring people together. Now without the visual
>>cues of body language and eye contact, how many of the world's population
>>are you willing to enter into a business agreement with?
>
>That's what the feedback system is for. If you only buy from people
>with more than 50 points, all positive, you're very likely to be fine.

In the best of all possible worlds, this works. But when the seller uses a
corporate identity, strong-arms positive feedback out of all buyers who do
nothing beyond completing a transaction, and has a rating based not on
good service but on volume of service, then you gotta watch out. Also,
there's no mechanism to audit the feedback system or prevent a hundred
guys in the same fraternity from leaving each other feedback for bogus
penny sales that don't earn eBay any money.

I've learned my lesson. And eBay's lost my business as a result. :/

-KKC, who thinks e-mail is going to go out of style too, but that's
another thirty years down the road...
--
-- "I'm going to put a nickel in this jar every time I get - kendrick
a phone call from a mortgage company trying to make me - @io.com
refinance for no good reason. In three or four months,
there should be enough money to pay for some mob hits." - KKC

Samurai

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2002
Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

Quoth kendrick@io.com (Kendrick Kerwin Chua):
>Samurai <Samurai@daisho.plus.com> wrote:
[munch]
>>That's what the feedback system is for. If you only buy from people
>>with more than 50 points, all positive, you're very likely to be fine.
>
>In the best of all possible worlds, this works. But when the seller
>uses a corporate identity, strong-arms positive feedback out of all
>buyers who do nothing beyond completing a transaction, and has a
>rating based not on good service but on volume of service, then you
>gotta watch out.

Very true -- which is why I tend to buy only from individuals rather
than people effectively running a store on eBay.

>Also, there's no mechanism to audit the feedback system or prevent a
>hundred guys in the same fraternity from leaving each other feedback
>for bogus penny sales that don't earn eBay any money.

I sometimes take a quick glace at a sellers' previous lots if I'm going
to place a substantial bid. Not quite an audit, but it at least yields
some helpful information.

But we're getting a bit off-topic. The simple truth is, eBay or one of
its competitors is usually the best way to find the rarer Ultimas. If
you choose not to take advantage of that, fair enough -- but as the FAQ
says (and I'm not directing this comment at you, merely making a general
observation), requests for pirated copies aren't popular here.

>I've learned my lesson. And eBay's lost my business as a result. :/
>
>-KKC, who thinks e-mail is going to go out of style too, but that's
>another thirty years down the road...

You might be right, there -- it remains to be seen if more ISPs actually
tackle spam and e-mail viruses at the server level, rather than relying
on their customers to do so. Even then, purely text-based
communications like e-mail, Usenet and IRC might well fade in time, as
more people adopt newer technology like VOIP.
\^\^//

Samurai Dragon the Fortified Scaly Well-Wisher of Excellence wrote:
>Quoth kendrick@io.com (Kendrick Kerwin Chua):
>>Samurai <Samurai@daisho.plus.com> wrote:
>[munch]
[snicker snack]
>>-KKC, who thinks e-mail is going to go out of style too, but that's
>>another thirty years down the road...
>You might be right, there -- it remains to be seen if more ISPs actually
>tackle spam and e-mail viruses at the server level, rather than relying
>on their customers to do so. Even then, purely text-based
>communications like e-mail, Usenet and IRC might well fade in time, as
>more people adopt newer technology like VOIP.

I agree that older technologies may fade out (indeed many older
protocols seem to get less use then they once did). However, I suspect
that text based services of some kind will continue to have a place.
Well it is impossible to know before the technology is invented or
becomes widespread it seems to me that a written technology has many
advantages for both composing and reading. Especially in the sort of
static message format of usenet say.

You can skim through written text but not so easily throuhg a spoken
message. When composing a written message it is easy to edit out
typos, whereas trying to edit out all the um.. and hums... of spoken
communication is harder (theoretically I suppose there is a software
solution to this) and I know for myself it is much more uncomfortable
to leave a voice-mail message than to compose an e-mail (we are not
used to talking to dead air). Also, non-native speakers will often
have an easier time writing and reading than speaking and listening to
the language of discourse. I also suspect that listening through
massive numbers of messages from people would be a bit too intense
compared with reading the messages, but I would have to experience t
to be sure about that.

Also, cost may be a factor. Text messaging using cell-phones is, I
understand, popular in Europe and is much cheaper than actually
telephoning. If such economies continue to exist that may create a
niche for pure text.
--
d e+ N- T- Om++ UK!1!2!3!4!56A78!9 u uC uF- uG+ uLB+ uA nC nR nH+ nP
nI+ nPT nS+ nT- y- a25, Captain in the Cinnaguard, Weirdo, Blue Bow

TRENDING THREADS