  • Games
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
May 8, 2004 9:22:51 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/tabula-rasa/512085p1.html?from...

I just saw that article on Slashdot/GameSpy earlier and, being someone
interested in the doings of Lord British (hah), took a near incredulous
leap into the faith. I hope you folk don't mind the crossposting, the
matter just seemed to fit all three groups perfectly. ;)

It's very interesting the way they approached the design of the game.
Instead of pouncing on a smattering of ideas and play mechanics and
pushing them together, Long and Garriott whent back to basics and tried
to figure out exactly what makes games fun, and how they could narrow
down gameplay to these specifications. Instead of making "just another
MMO game", they're trying to do something newish and somewhat untried by
combining many styles of play and interaction from various different
genres. While it's not completely free of derivation (*grin*), the
concepts just may work - perhaps not altogether, but overall the game
sounds like a pleasure. I suppose in a way, this sounds like those
cross-genre titles that've been failing to dominate sales in the past
decade, but the problem with them is that [I suspect oft-times] the
developers took discrete and traditional modes of play [for those
genres] and tried to cobble them together with narry a thought about how
players would appreciate them and how the game experience would be
altered according to the mindsets that came with them.

There are specific design processes that they are utilizing here that
are significant, irregardless of their knowledge of them - they're
trying to focus on how users experience and deal with/enjoy games
instead of just trying ideas out in a shotgun approach.

I think I'm going to put my money on it when it finally debuts. What do
you people think?
--
-==[UDIC]==-
http://www.fictionpress.com/~wtcher

More about : tabula rasa

Anonymous
May 8, 2004 9:34:34 PM

Wtcher Dragon wrote:
> http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/tabula-rasa/512085p1.html?from...

> I think I'm going to put my money on it when it finally debuts. What
> do you people think?

This is the "make money fast" scheme where items in-game cost real-world
dosh, yeah? Pass, on principal.

--

>^..^<
Bernard
www.cs.uwa.edu.au/~langhb01
Anonymous
May 8, 2004 9:34:35 PM

"mr bernard langham" <notactually@spammenot.com> wrote in message
> Wtcher Dragon wrote:
> > http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/tabula-rasa/512085p1.html?from...
>
> > I think I'm going to put my money on it when it finally debuts. What
> > do you people think?
>
> This is the "make money fast" scheme where items in-game cost real-world
> dosh, yeah? Pass, on principal.

From what I've read, I think not, though (as with any persistent multiplayer
world) such transactions are likely to flourish on eBay/E-Bay/<whatever the
correct spelling is>.

Personally, I find it interesting, and will at least try it when it comes
out, though the 'randomly-selected appearance' is a little worrying... With
facial features, maybe it makes sense, but take the example of hair colour.
I have dark hair, and practically make a point of having a character with
dark hair in any game that I play. Brown, not black. Now, if I created a
character with a randomly selected appearance and the hair was--for
example--blond, I'd be likely/greatly tempted to try again until I got one
which satisfied my basic self-image.

Still. One way or another, I will try it.

--
The Triad
User of 'Thingamajig!'

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

In article <c7im3d$9dt$1$8302bc10@news.demon.co.uk>, wanderer@beeb.web
says...

> Personally, I find it interesting, and will at least try it when it comes
> out, though the 'randomly-selected appearance' is a little worrying... With
> facial features, maybe it makes sense, but take the example of hair colour.
> I have dark hair, and practically make a point of having a character with
> dark hair in any game that I play. Brown, not black. Now, if I created a
> character with a randomly selected appearance and the hair was--for
> example--blond, I'd be likely/greatly tempted to try again until I got one
> which satisfied my basic self-image.

Yeah, but I think the point of this was to avoid the homogenization that
could occur within the world... and I do suspect that there'll be some
flexibility built into the system, although it's something we'll have to
see. He does vaguely allude to it in the article, although I don't
recall exactly how, considering I've had a night's rest between now and
when I read it... perhaps I imagined that, though.

> Still. One way or another, I will try it.

*nodnod*

--

"Refractor Dragon" <wanderer@beeb.web> wrote in message news:<c7im3d$9dt$1$8302bc10@news.demon.co.uk>...

> Personally, I find it interesting, and will at least try it when it comes
> out

All game designs are ambitious and daring until they've been reviewed
by the marketing department.
May 9, 2004 5:55:41 PM

"Wtcher Dragon" <nospambirdy@ultima-dragons.org> wrote in message
> http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/tabula-rasa/512085p1.html?from...
>
> I just saw that article on Slashdot/GameSpy earlier and, being someone
> interested in the doings of Lord British (hah), took a near incredulous
> leap into the faith. I hope you folk don't mind the crossposting, the
> matter just seemed to fit all three groups perfectly. ;)
>
> It's very interesting the way they approached the design of the game.
> Instead of pouncing on a smattering of ideas and play mechanics and
> pushing them together, Long and Garriott whent back to basics and tried
> to figure out exactly what makes games fun, and how they could narrow
> down gameplay to these specifications. Instead of making "just another
> MMO game", they're trying to do something newish and somewhat untried by
> combining many styles of play and interaction from various different
> genres. While it's not completely free of derivation (*grin*), the
> concepts just may work - perhaps not altogether, but overall the game
> sounds like a pleasure. I suppose in a way, this sounds like those
> cross-genre titles that've been failing to dominate sales in the past
> decade, but the problem with them is that [I suspect oft-times] the
> developers took discrete and traditional modes of play [for those
> genres] and tried to cobble them together with narry a thought about how
> players would appreciate them and how the game experience would be
> altered according to the mindsets that came with them.
>
> There are specific design processes that they are utilizing here that
> are significant, irregardless of their knowledge of them - they're
> trying to focus on how users experience and deal with/enjoy games
> instead of just trying ideas out in a shotgun approach.
>
> I think I'm going to put my money on it when it finally debuts. What do
> you people think?
> --
> -==[UDIC]==-
> http://www.fictionpress.com/~wtcher
> Note: This post is composed of 100% post-consumer material.
> This birdy likes no spam. :>

I think Garriott lost it a long time ago....basically after Ultima 7 in '92.
In '96 he was praising motion capture as the next thing in interactive
games. His comment about being bored with fantasy games was rather trite,
too. Its still my favorite genre after 24 years of computer games. I also
thought the screenies looked similar to UO2 that got cancelled...maybe they
are using the same artists...and the art didn't look all that current. They
are going to have to compete is a lare marketplace now...I do hope they can
pull a good game off but right now it sounds like a lot of hot air.
Anonymous
May 9, 2004 9:59:09 PM

"Mean_Chlorine" <mike_noren2002@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> "Refractor Dragon" <wanderer@beeb.web> wrote in message
>
> > Personally, I find it interesting, and will at least try it when it
comes
> > out
>
> All game designs are ambitious and daring until they've been reviewed
> by the marketing department.

Three words: Ultima. Deus Ex.

Oh, and Thief.

Though those are only the ones that spring to mind.

--
The Triad
User of 'Thingamajig!'

"Refractor Dragon" <wanderer@beeb.web> wrote in message news:<c7lo0t$s8n$1$8302bc10@news.demon.co.uk>...

> > All game designs are ambitious and daring until they've been reviewed
> > by the marketing department.
>
> Three words: Ultima. Deus Ex.
>
> Oh, and Thief.
>
> Though those are only the ones that spring to mind.

Are you listing independently developed off-beat surprise-hit
franchises which, when syndicated, were neutered, misunderstood, and
dumbed-down by marketing suits in their eternal bid to cater to the
lowest common denominator?

If so, add Tomb Raider.

If instead you're offering them as examples that it is, on rare
occasions when the stars are in the right alignment, within the realm
of possibility for games to remain ambitious and daring even after
review by the marketing department suits, add Planescape: Torment and
Max Payne.

And whichever the case, I'm not so sure Ultima fits the bill - but as
I gave up on Ultima after Ultima IV, I will give it the benefit of the
doubt.
May 10, 2004 3:27:35 AM

Quoth Ben Sisson <ilkhanikeDIESPAM@yahoo.ca>:
>Wtcher Dragon <nospambirdy@ultima-dragons.org> wrote:

>>> I'm holding out and hoping for that 10% chance :)
>>Ah, yes. The d20 of life. ;)
>That'd be more like a d10.

Real men use d100s for percentiles. ;)
\^\^//
,^ ( ..) Samurai Dragon -==UDIC Sig Code==-
| \ \ -==(UDIC)==- d++e+N T--Om+U146MA7'! L8u uC++
\ `^--^ \\\\\\////// uF-uG++uLB+uA+nC++uR nH+nP+++
\ \ \ (2 Attentive Points) nI--nPT nS+++nT--wM-wC y+ a28
ksj ^--^ ___________________________________________________________
Anonymous
May 10, 2004 4:07:02 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

In article <409ebe3e.2710248@usenet.plus.net>, Samurai@his.reply-
to.address says...
> Real men use d100s for percentiles. ;)

You could almost swap those for golf balls...
--
-==[UDIC]==-
http://www.fictionpress.com/~wtcher
Note: This post is composed of 100% post-consumer material.
This birdy likes no spam. :>
Anonymous
May 10, 2004 11:11:57 AM

mr bernard langham wrote:
> This is the "make money fast" scheme where items in-game cost
> real-world dosh, yeah? Pass, on principal.

Say what?!?

Nunh uh . . . we ain't going there, nosirree bobtail!

--
chainbreaker

If you need to email, then chainbreaker (naturally) at comcast dot
net--that's "net" not "com"--should do it.
Anonymous
May 10, 2004 4:52:40 PM

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg Refractor Dragon <wanderer@beeb.web> wrote:
> "Mean_Chlorine" <mike_noren2002@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>> All game designs are ambitious and daring until they've been reviewed
>> by the marketing department.

> Three words: Ultima. Deus Ex.

Ultima IX. Invisible War.

> Oh, and Thief.

Deadly Shadows.

--
----
[Insert joke here.] ----

"Andreas Baus" <anba@cip123.studcs.uni-sb.de> wrote in message
> In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg Refractor Dragon <wanderer@beeb.web> wrote:
> > "Mean_Chlorine" <mike_noren2002@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> >> All game designs are ambitious and daring until they've been reviewed
> >> by the marketing department.
>
> > Three words: Ultima. Deus Ex.
>
> Ultima IX. Invisible War.

I see your point. But each series has had its 'moments'.

> > Oh, and Thief.
>
> Deadly Shadows.

See above... though I'm slightly curious as to your viewpoint on that one.

--
The Triad
User of 'Thingamajig!'

> "Refractor Dragon" <wanderer@beeb.web> wrote in message
>
> > > All game designs are ambitious and daring until they've been reviewed
> > > by the marketing department.
> >
> > Three words: Ultima. Deus Ex.
> >
> > Oh, and Thief.
> >
> > Though those are only the ones that spring to mind.
>
> Are you listing independently developed off-beat surprise-hit
> franchises which, when syndicated, were neutered, misunderstood, and
> dumbed-down by marketing suits in their eternal bid to cater to the
> lowest common denominator?
>
> If so, add Tomb Raider.

I think not.

> If instead you're offering them as examples that it is, on rare
> occasions when the stars are in the right alignment, within the realm
> of possibility for games to remain ambitious and daring even after
> review by the marketing department suits, add Planescape: Torment and
> Max Payne.

*nods* Sounds good, though I'm not that interested in the latter, and I've
been trying unsuccessfully for months to get the former without directly
resorting to eBay/E-Bay/<insert correct spelling>.

> And whichever the case, I'm not so sure Ultima fits the bill - but as
> I gave up on Ultima after Ultima IV, I will give it the benefit of the
> doubt.

Hmm. While Ultima VII (yes, both of them) I personally view as the best in
the series, Ultima IV is the one most widely viewed as 'innovative', with
the different type of objective--self-improvement, instead of
kill-the-bad-guy.

--
The Triad
User of 'Thingamajig!'

chainbreaker wrote:
> mr bernard langham wrote:
>> This is the "make money fast" scheme where items in-game cost
>> real-world dosh, yeah? Pass, on principal.
>
> Say what?!?
>
> Nunh uh . . . we ain't going there, nosirree bobtail!

A year or two back, Richard was quite openly gung-ho about this idea, which
would have made Tabula Rasa into something a blank cheque as far as the
investors and shareholders were concerned (Tabula Rasa/blank cheque/heh
heh). The game was going to be free, with no subscription, but items in the
world (swords, armour, arrows, housing) would cost real-world money. There
are already a couple of disturbing examples of this metaphor in existence,
including There and, from memory, SecondLife.

I've scoured the current Tabula Rasa advertorials for any references to this
without success. Apparently Richard's given up on the idea. Sighs of relief
all round.

Or not. Frankly, the whole premise for Tabula Rasa (instant gratification to
the max, no travel time, no healing time, very small world comprising of a
tiny hub and instanced everything else) isn't going to win the game any fans
from the Explorer axis of Bartle's MMORPG personality test, including me. In
addition, I really dislike the character models. For reasons best known to
himself (greed doubtless being one of them), Richard has stated that the
game will have amongst the highest subscription fees of any current MMORPG.
So, kthx Lord British bye.
--

>^..^<
Bernard
www.cs.uwa.edu.au/~langhb01
Anonymous
May 11, 2004 4:35:07 AM

mr bernard langham wrote:
> I've scoured the current Tabula Rasa advertorials for any references
> to this without success. Apparently Richard's given up on the idea.
> Sighs of relief all round.

Maybe he noticed the insane prices some D2 items on eBay were selling for
and consequently had another brain fart that's since cleared up.
--
chainbreaker

If you need to email, then chainbreaker (naturally) at comcast dot
net--that's "net" not "com"--should do it.
Anonymous
May 11, 2004 4:08:17 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg Refractor Dragon <wanderer@beeb.web> wrote:
> "Andreas Baus" <anba@cip123.studcs.uni-sb.de> wrote in message
>> In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg Refractor Dragon <wanderer@beeb.web> wrote:
>> > "Mean_Chlorine" <mike_noren2002@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

> I see your point. But each series has had its 'moments'.

>> > Oh, and Thief.
>>
>> Deadly Shadows.

> See above... though I'm slightly curious as to your viewpoint on that one.

To be honest, I am withholding judgement until I actually get to see the
finished product with my own eyes. Not that I have high hopes that my worst
suspicions will not be true (after what Spector did to Deus Ex), but for
one thing, it's not fair to judge it before that on incomplete information,
and for another, deep down I still an the eternal optimist...

--
----
[Insert joke here.] ----
anba@studcs.uni-sb.de (Andreas Baus)
Anonymous
May 11, 2004 6:08:35 PM

> In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg Refractor Dragon <wanderer@beeb.web> wrote:
> > "Andreas Baus" <anba@cip123.studcs.uni-sb.de> wrote in message
>
> > I see your point. But each series has had its 'moments'.

> >> Deadly Shadows.
>
> > See above... though I'm slightly curious as to your viewpoint on that
one.

> To be honest, I am withholding judgement until I actually get to see the
> finished product with my own eyes. Not that I have high hopes that my
worst
> suspicions will not be true (after what Spector did to Deus Ex), but for
> one thing, it's not fair to judge it before that on incomplete
information,
> and for another, deep down I still an the eternal optimist...

*nods slightly; shall observe for himself*

--
The Triad
User of 'Thingamajig!'

"Samurai" <Samurai@his.reply-to.address> wrote:
> >That'd be more like a d10.
> Real men use d100s for percentiles. ;)

d100's aren't statistically sound!!!

--
zhentil
Anonymous

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

A thousand monkeys banging on keyboards posted the following under the
name <zhentil@mindspring.com>:

>"Samurai" <Samurai@his.reply-to.address> wrote:
>> >That'd be more like a d10.
>> Real men use d100s for percentiles. ;)
>
>d100's aren't statistically sound!!!

d10s aren't either.

--

Magister Mundi sum!

Aughra: Where is he?
Jen: He's dead.
Aughra: Could be anywhere, then.
May 12, 2004 2:43:09 AM

Quoth <zhentil@mindspring.com>:
>"Samurai" <Samurai@his.reply-to.address> wrote:

>> Real men use d100s for percentiles. ;)
>
>d100's aren't statistically sound!!!

No, but as Wtcher pointed out, they /are/ chunky. :D
\^\^//
,^ ( ..) Samurai Dragon -==UDIC Sig Code==-
| \ \ -==(UDIC)==- d++e+N T--Om+U146MA7'! L8u uC++
\ `^--^ \\\\\\////// uF-uG++uLB+uA+nC++uR nH+nP+++
\ \ \ (2 Attentive Points) nI--nPT nS+++nT--wM-wC y+ a28
ksj ^--^ ___________________________________________________________
Anonymous
May 12, 2004 2:43:10 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

When I tuned to 16kHz, I received Samurai:
> Quoth Zentil:
>>"Samurai" <Samurai@his.reply-to.address> wrote:
>
>>> Real men use d100s for percentiles. ;)
>>
>>d100's aren't statistically sound!!!
>
> No, but as Wtcher pointed out, they /are/ chunky. :D

Chunky is a good description for meat ball sauce.

--
Ashikaga Dragon de-NT- OM+++ U7'S89 u- uC uF-- uG+++
-== UDIC ==- uLB----uA+ nC++ nH+ nP+nI nPT- nS+++ nT--

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

I think I agree with Eric's assessment. Lord British, as it were, has "lost"
it, whatever IT was..
I remember when Ultima 9 came out. I was reading about a rant on the soon to
be defunct U9 boards at Origin (before they yanked them bc of bad press for
U9) about a guy who met Garriot at a store in the mall (book signing/game
signing or something). He asked garriot about the rampant bugs..and he didn't
know anything about it. "Unstable, thou says? huh" seemed to be his response.

Alas, Serpent Isle was the last time I travelled to Britannia (well, sort of).
Never tried U9..and I didn't want to after that horrendous Mario/U8

!