Visual Effects

Greetings,

Does anyone know how to adjust Visual Effects through the registry? I have
tried the following reg setting
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VisualEffects\VisualFXSetting
and although it changes the checkbox, no settings are applied even after a
reboot. I'm hoping to be able to force all computers in my Domain not to use
Visual Effects and if I knew how to enforce it in the registry then I could
either export a reg file and merge it through a script or maybe create an
..adm template.

Thanks in advance!
--
Network Engineer
MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+

Rich,

Settings of this sort need to be done by a program (which calls an API).
Steven Liu [MSFT] confirms that this setting cannot be deployed using the
Group Policy:

http://groups.google.co.in/group/microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy/msg/57165fb95e346948?dmode=source&hl=en

If you're a programmer, these two links might help.

SystemParametersInfo:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/sysinfo/base/systemparametersinfo.asp

The Old New Thing : Using SystemParametersInfo to access user interface
settings:
http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2005/03/09/390706.aspx

May be you can ask one of your friends to compile a program using VB, that
uses an API call and applies the visual effects changes instantly.

--
Ramesh Srinivasan
MS-MVP, Windows Shell

Windows XP Troubleshooting
http://www.winhelponline.com

"Rich Holmes" <RichHolmes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Greetings,
>
> Does anyone know how to adjust Visual Effects through the registry? I have
> tried the following reg setting
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VisualEffects\VisualFXSetting
> and although it changes the checkbox, no settings are applied even after a
> reboot. I'm hoping to be able to force all computers in my Domain not to
> use
> Visual Effects and if I knew how to enforce it in the registry then I
> could
> either export a reg file and merge it through a script or maybe create an
> .adm template.
>
> Thanks in advance!
> --
> Network Engineer
> MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+

Thanks man! Great Response.

--
Network Engineer
MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Rich,
>
> Settings of this sort need to be done by a program (which calls an API).
> Steven Liu [MSFT] confirms that this setting cannot be deployed using the
> Group Policy:
>
> http://groups.google.co.in/group/microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy/msg/57165fb95e346948?dmode=source&hl=en
>
> If you're a programmer, these two links might help.
>
> SystemParametersInfo:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/sysinfo/base/systemparametersinfo.asp
>
> The Old New Thing : Using SystemParametersInfo to access user interface
> settings:
> http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2005/03/09/390706.aspx
>
> May be you can ask one of your friends to compile a program using VB, that
> uses an API call and applies the visual effects changes instantly.
>
> --
> Ramesh Srinivasan
> MS-MVP, Windows Shell
>
> Windows XP Troubleshooting
> http://www.winhelponline.com
>
> "Rich Holmes" <RichHolmes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Greetings,
> >
> > Does anyone know how to adjust Visual Effects through the registry? I have
> > tried the following reg setting
> > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VisualEffects\VisualFXSetting
> > and although it changes the checkbox, no settings are applied even after a
> > reboot. I'm hoping to be able to force all computers in my Domain not to
> > use
> > Visual Effects and if I knew how to enforce it in the registry then I
> > could
> > either export a reg file and merge it through a script or maybe create an
> > .adm template.
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
> > --
> > Network Engineer