Sign in with
Your question

Windows takes 20 Minutes to Load

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
August 5, 2012 5:24:16 PM

Suddenly, about a week ago, I had not rebooted my Laptop for a week, and restarted. Upon rebooting, POST completed, and then suddenly a Black but BACKLIT screen. After 5 minutes I felt something was wrong. So I rebooted. Same thing everytime. I started freaking out, and after 6 reboots, I had to walk away. I went downstairs occupied myself for about a half hour. I came back and the windows login screen was up. So I logged in and tried to reboot again. This time I just waited, and after 25 minutes, Windows booted up. I tried over and over, rebooting many times, and everytime, POST will complete, then a black screen and hangs on the black screen for 20 minutes, then Windows loads. To add to the frustration, IN Windows, about 60-70% the attempts at loading programs result in (Not Responding) and crashes. I am getting really really frustrated. I have so much work to do, and this is completely impairing my ability to get anything done. Programs lock up, crash, Windows takes forever to boot, I need Help.

For clarification and disclosure, my system is:

HP Pavilion DV7
Intel core i7-2670QM 2.2Ghz
8 GB Ram
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit

a b $ Windows 7
August 5, 2012 5:28:40 PM

Hi :) 

Run a hard drive test in DOS ...HIRENS CD etc...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
August 5, 2012 5:50:08 PM

Brett928S2 said:

Run a hard drive test in DOS ...HIRENS CD etc...

Thanks Brett, I will try Hirens, I have a copy laying around I forgot about. I have run CHKDSK and SFC in DOS, Spybot Multpile runs, MalwareBytes Multiple FULL Scans, Hijackthis, TuneUp Utilities, All came up clean and TuneUp Utilities completed the One Click Optimizer.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
August 5, 2012 7:26:53 PM

Run Hirens FROM DISC...NOT in windows... I would put money on it being your hard drive has crashed...

m
l
August 5, 2012 7:44:09 PM

Just a thought have you tried system restore ? I would think if the hard drive crashed there would be errors on load.
m
l
August 5, 2012 10:09:49 PM

Brett928S2 said:

Run Hirens FROM DISC...NOT in windows... I would put money on it being your hard drive has crashed...

I had Run Hirens, Memory Diagnostics, No joy. Everything passes but still a 20 minute delay for boot. Is there a specific Hirens test I should be running?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 5, 2012 11:00:32 PM

xfile102 said:
I had Run Hirens, Memory Diagnostics, No joy. Everything passes but still a 20 minute delay for boot. Is there a specific Hirens test I should be running?

Yes... the FULL hard drive test and depending on size it will take a couple of hours ish...

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 5, 2012 11:23:06 PM

open up the case and make sure all your connections are secure.
most importantly the optical drive and all HDD sata ports (if more than one HDD).
then go into BIOS and verify all hardware is recognized.
m
l
August 5, 2012 11:41:40 PM

Is your anti-virus working and up to date? Which one do you use? Run Malwarebytes and see what it finds.
m
l
a c 395 $ Windows 7
August 5, 2012 11:53:07 PM

Is your anti-virus working and up to date? Which one do you use? Run Malwarebytes and see what it finds. < He stated he has done this multiple times
m
l
August 6, 2012 12:06:23 AM

See if its a program or some startup entry that is causing the problem, hit f8 while booting and attempt to enter safe mode, see if it loads up then. If it loads up it tells you there is a problem in one of your startup entries which is causing the hang.
m
l
August 6, 2012 3:38:10 AM

To Clarify, the things I have already done are:

Ran Updated Spybot Scans - CLEAN
Ran Malwarebytes FULL Scans - CLEAN
Ran Hijackthis and CLEANED UP
Ran TuneUp Utilities One Click Optimizer
Ran CHKDSK
Ran SFC
Ran Trend Micro House Call
I DO NOT Use Antivirus Software
I have Defragged Drive
Ran MemTest
Run MSCONFIG - Limited Startup
m
l
August 6, 2012 4:00:44 AM

Brett, I looked in Detail, and the Only HDD Utility I found on Hirens was the Seagate Dsc Wizard. When I attempt to run it, it simply reads out one line referring to Linux and it sits there.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 6, 2012 4:11:31 AM

Can you create a small partition on your hard drive then install windows on that (You don't have to activate it, just let it boot into the fresh OS and see how long it takes) That should help us with determining if its a virus, or some other thing non hardware related.

Edit: or heck you could probably try booting into safemode.
m
l
August 6, 2012 5:22:28 AM

Quote:
Did you check your RAM?

Not any further than the Ram Test and MemTest.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 6, 2012 5:25:10 AM

Is your HDD full? What is it's size and percent used?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 6, 2012 5:36:26 AM

Sorry for the confusion. I deleted my post very soon afterward upon realising that you already check RAM and, but obviously you already read the post and pressed reply by then.
m
l
August 6, 2012 5:39:33 AM

Dogsnake said:
Is your HDD full? What is it's size and percent used?

HDD Is 40% Full. 373GB of 1TB
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 6, 2012 5:45:32 AM

Does it boot fine in safemode or with a linux live cd (preferably try both)
m
l
August 6, 2012 10:14:00 AM

mouse24 said:
Does it boot fine in safemode or with a linux live cd (preferably try both)

No. As soon as it gets to:

Loaded: \windows\system32\drivers\CLASSPNP.SYS
It hangs. It keeps saying Please Wait... I don't know if that string is the problem, or if that is already loaded and it is the next one that its hanging on.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 6, 2012 10:41:32 AM

Any PNP device attached when you start laptop in safe mode?
m
l
August 6, 2012 1:06:50 PM

Not a single thing attached to it.
m
l
August 6, 2012 1:12:44 PM

Ok Guys, I finally let Startup Repair run and this is what I got back:

Any ideas? Please tell me this is something I can fix without having to Restore or Reinstall Win 7. This is a 1TB Drive and I Dont have anything big enough to back up everything to.
m
l
August 6, 2012 1:39:46 PM

xfile102 said:
Any ideas? Please tell me this is something I can fix without having to Restore or Reinstall Win 7. This is a 1TB Drive and I Dont have anything big enough to back up everything to.

I'd backup and reinstall. For a relatively cheap and easy backup, get one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 6, 2012 1:55:21 PM

The error is due to a file or the registry becoming corrupt, run the sfc /scannow command from an elevated Command Prompt to check for file errors or run system restore to fix registry errors. I know that you said that for some reason that you didn't want to run system restore but apart from reinstalling this is your only choice.
m
l
August 6, 2012 2:21:19 PM

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

Grrrr...
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 6, 2012 2:23:01 PM

reformat, clean install of Windows time...
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 6, 2012 4:23:42 PM

Boot to windows even if it takes all day. Once you have a desktop, insert your windows7 disc and choose an "Up Grade Installation" option. This will reinstall the OS without making any changes to your files or installed programs.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 6, 2012 7:15:23 PM

As far as I can see, you STILL have NOT run a full hard drive test from DOS....

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 6, 2012 7:19:02 PM

xfile102 said:
Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

Grrrr...

verbalizer said:
reformat, clean install of Windows time...

Dogsnake said:
Boot to windows even if it takes all day. Once you have a desktop, insert your windows7 disc and choose an "Up Grade Installation" option. This will reinstall the OS without making any changes to your files or installed programs.

m
l
!