Need help picking my new sound card & speakers

Darkmatterx

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
Ok I've read some threads and the recent article on speakers but I still have a few questions.

1. Whats the difference between the Audigy 2 ZS and the M-Audio Revolution?
I hear the major difference is a lack of EAX? Is that a big deal? What does Revolution have that makes up for not having EAX? Any driver issues with games for the Revolution?

2. I've heard a lot of good things in this forum about the logitech z680s but the recent toms article gives high marks to the Logitech Z5300 (5.1). Any comments on the differences and how either the Audigy or Revolution card will interact with these speakers?

Thanks

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I don't know exactly what you're planning on doing, but if you were going to get a new computer, I'd suggest something with a soundstorm onboard audio chip and then looking into getting a HT amp + surround sound speakers. I saved on going soundstorm integrated and not getting a separate sound card and have it hooked up to my home theatre amp and surround tower speakers and it's awesome. Full dolby digital all around and it sounds much better than any computer speakers I've ever heard. It probably cost about the same too.

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.

Boilermaker

Distinguished
May 6, 2003
i have an audigy 2 (i just got the audigy 2zs for christmas, and swapped it in yet) and z680s as my speaker system. i chose the z680 system because of the control box. i dont have enough room right now for an a/v receiver and speakers so i used the analog cables to connect the audigy to the control box, my hdtv tuner card used the digital coax connection, and an xbox into the optical port.

i use my computer for games and as a home theater pc, and while the z680s worked, the system sounded great. as long as you dont neet to use logitech tech support, they are a great buy, even for the price. unfortunatly after 6 weeks the control box started having problems detecting a signal and i had to ship it and the 30 lb subwoofer back to logitech on my own dime. adding insult to injury, they said it will take 5 business days from when they receive the speakers for processing and 7-10 business days to ship me the replacement parts.