Audio quackwatch: The Silver Rock Signature Knob

Last response: in Home Audio
January 7, 2005 11:19:00 PM

Sometimes you really want to believe something's a joke.
But alas it's not.

http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv...

Silver Rock Signature Knob $480.00

Good vibrations, Bad vibrations it?s all about vibrations!! RAM would like
to introduce a new signature level knob developed for the mighty Silver
Rock potentiometer. The standard bakelite knob is certainly the best
sounding compromise... but now Audio Consulting has taken this aspect of
the Silver Rock much further. The new knobs are custom made with beech
wood and bronze where the bronze is used as the insert to mount to the
stem of the volume pot. The beech wood is coated several times with C37
lacquer for best sound as pointed out by Dieter Ennemoser. How can this
make a difference??? Well, hearing is believing as we always say. The
sound becomes much more open and free flowing with a nice improvement in
resolution. Dynamics are better and overall naturalness is improved. Here
is a test for all you Silver Rock owners. Try removing the bakelite knobs
and listen. You will be shocked by this! The signature knobs will have an
even greater effect?really amazing! The point here is the micro vibrations
created by the volume pots and knobs find their way into the delicate
signal path and cause degradation (Bad vibrations equal bad sound). With
the signature knobs micro vibrations from the C37 concept of wood, bronze
and the lacquer itself compensate for the volume pots and provide (Good
Vibrations) our ear/brain combination like to hear?way better sound!!

Knobs can easily be installed on all versions of the Silver Rock potentiometer.

--

-S
If you're a nut and knock on enough doors, eventually someone will open one,

Steven Sullivan wrote:
> Sometimes you really want to believe something's a joke.
> But alas it's not.

http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv...

> Silver Rock Signature Knob $480.00

I imagine this would look very nice on the front of a black preamp. As
for the claims about vibration, it'll probably appeal to the passively
gullible who believe that everything can make a difference.

Whereas it would seem to require active stupidity to fall for this:

http://www.machinadynamica.com/machina27.htm

INTELLIGENT CHIP CD/DVD/SACD UPGRADE

"Machina Dynamica now carries the Intelligent Chip from Golden Sound.
The Intelligent Chip is a thin, orange, 1x1.5 inch rectangular wafer
that automatically upgrades any CD/DVD/SACD disc when the Chip is
placed momentarily on the top surface of the player above the spinning
disc. The Intelligent Chip is available in two models - the GSIC-10
($16) upgrades 10 discs; the GSIC-30 ($40) upgrades 30 discs. The disc
upgrade is virtually instantaneous - and permanent; the sound of the
upgraded disc more closely resembles the sound of the orginal master
recording.

"Description/Theory: The Intelligent Chip is a "new generation,"
high-tech device that corrects a particular problem inherent in all
commercial digital discs. According to the Intelligent Chip
manufacturer, this problem is produced by slight fluctuations in the
master clock(s) when pressing the discs. This "clock fluctuation"
problem (jitter) is one reason why consumer digital discs frequently
"don't sound quite right," or have a "high-frequency edge."

"The Intelligent Chip corrects the clock fluctuation problem within 2
seconds, resulting in sound that is clearer and less distorted, with a
deeper soundstage, more "air" and lower background noise. This
improvement is particularly apparent on very good discs.

"Instructions: Remove the orange Intelligent Chip from its protective
clear plastic case and place it on top of the CD/DVD/SACD player
directly above the transport section, silver label side facing up.
Next, insert the disc to be upgraded in the player, then push "Play"
and allow the disc to play for at least 2 seconds. The upgrade takes
only 2 seconds and is permanent. Note: It is helpful to mark the Chip
each time a disc is upgraded so you'll know how many upgrades remain.

"Once the disc is upgraded, you may either remove the Intelligent Chip
from the player and return it to its clear plastic case or leave it on
top of the player and insert the next disc to be upgraded into the
player. The manufacturer suggests always storing the Chip in its
protective case, otherwise the Chip could lose its effectiveness over
time. Once the Chip has upgraded the prescribed number of discs it
automatically ceases to function."

bob
January 8, 2005 7:39:49 PM

Steven Sullivan wrote:
> Sometimes you really want to believe something's a joke.
> But alas it's not.
>

> http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv...
>
> Silver Rock Signature Knob $480.00
>
> Good vibrations, Bad vibrations it?s all about vibrations!! RAM would like
> to introduce a new signature level knob developed for the mighty Silver
> Rock potentiometer. The standard bakelite knob is certainly the best
> sounding compromise... but now Audio Consulting has taken this aspect of
> the Silver Rock much further. The new knobs are custom made with beech
> wood and bronze where the bronze is used as the insert to mount to the
> stem of the volume pot. The beech wood is coated several times with C37
> lacquer for best sound as pointed out by Dieter Ennemoser. How can this
> make a difference??? Well, hearing is believing as we always say. The
> sound becomes much more open and free flowing with a nice improvement in
> resolution. Dynamics are better and overall naturalness is improved. Here
> is a test for all you Silver Rock owners. Try removing the bakelite knobs
> and listen. You will be shocked by this! The signature knobs will have an
> even greater effect?really amazing! The point here is the micro vibrations
> created by the volume pots and knobs find their way into the delicate
> signal path and cause degradation (Bad vibrations equal bad sound). With
> the signature knobs micro vibrations from the C37 concept of wood, bronze
> and the lacquer itself compensate for the volume pots and provide (Good
> Vibrations) our ear/brain combination like to hear?way better sound!!
>
> Knobs can easily be installed on all versions of the Silver Rock potentiometer.

I noted that on that website, a 0.5 ounce of "C37" lacquer sells for $60.

Here's the C37 "theory":

http://www.ennemoser.com/c37theory.html

Especially striking is the inventor's claim: "All attempts by science to
explain the secrets of the character of sound have so far been unsuccesful".

And here is a nice rebuttal:

http://sound.westhost.com/madashell9.htm
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 7:45:45 PM

Steven Sullivan wrote:

> Good vibrations, Bad vibrations it?s all about vibrations!! RAM would like
> to introduce a new signature level knob developed for the mighty Silver
> Rock potentiometer. The standard bakelite knob is certainly the best
> sounding compromise... but now Audio Consulting has taken this aspect of
> the Silver Rock much further. The new knobs are custom made with beech
> wood and bronze where the bronze is used as the insert to mount to the
> stem of the volume pot. The beech wood is coated several times with C37
> lacquer for best sound as pointed out by Dieter Ennemoser. How can this
> make a difference??? Well, hearing is believing as we always say. The
> sound becomes much more open and free flowing with a nice improvement in
> resolution. Dynamics are better and overall naturalness is improved. Here
> is a test for all you Silver Rock owners. Try removing the bakelite knobs
> and listen. You will be shocked by this! The signature knobs will have an
> even greater effect?really amazing! The point here is the micro vibrations
> created by the volume pots and knobs find their way into the delicate
> signal path and cause degradation (Bad vibrations equal bad sound). With
> the signature knobs micro vibrations from the C37 concept of wood, bronze
> and the lacquer itself compensate for the volume pots and provide (Good
> Vibrations) our ear/brain combination like to hear?way better sound!!
>
> Knobs can easily be installed on all versions of the Silver Rock potentiometer.

If we give them credit for all of these "inventions," I have to ask -
how many times can the resolution be improved? How many layers are there
to be swept away? If we gush over the sound now, as it has finally been
perfected by the knob, or the wire, or the weight on the amplifier, then
how wrong will we be shown to be when the next one comes out?

Gary Eickmeier
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 9:04:46 PM

Steven Sullivan wrote:
> Sometimes you really want to believe something's a joke.
> But alas it's not.

Another excellent product:

"It's no exaggeration to say that with the Pebbles in place
regular CDs now sound better than SACDs did before." -- Gabriel G., PhD

"Highly specialized, proprietary techniques are employed to "condition"
minerals and assemble Brilliant Pebbles. Brilliant Pebbles acts as both
a vibration "node damper" and EMI/RFI absorber via quantum mechanical
and other atomic mechanisms in the crystals. Large Brilliant Pebbles is
effective on tube and solid state amps, on speaker cabinets and tube
traps. On the floor in room corners, Large Brilliant Pebbles reduces
comb filter effects caused by very high sound pressure levels in room
corners while music is playing"

http://www.machinadynamica.com/index.html

WVK
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 10:53:06 PM

Chung wrote:

> I noted that on that website, a 0.5 ounce of "C37" lacquer sells for
$60.

> Here's the C37 "theory":
>
> http://www.ennemoser.com/c37theory.html
>
> Especially striking is the inventor's claim: "All attempts by science
> explain the secrets of the character of sound have so far been
unsuccesful".

Yes, well, how would he know? He neither reads the scientific
literature nor consults with scientists, according to this interview:

http://www.tnt-audio.com/intervis/c37e.html

Here's the money quote:

"I had to prepare my brain for new challenges and to be open minded for
new theories. Instead of accumulating knowledge from outside sources, I
stopped reading scientific articles and audio magazines. And this is
the naked truth: the only things I read for ten years have been Donald
Duck and Clever & Smart (by F.Ibanez) Comics. My companions were the
young members of the orchestra of the Music school of Innsbruck, in
which I fortunately am allowed to play, instead of physicists and
degreed scientists."

That would explain a lot.

bob
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 7:21:05 PM

We'll know for sure how well it works when STEREOPHILE tests it. Until
then, buy at your own risk.

Sigh.

- GRL

Steven Sullivan wrote:
> Sometimes you really want to believe something's a joke.
> But alas it's not.
>

> http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv...
>
> Silver Rock Signature Knob $480.00
>
> Good vibrations, Bad vibrations it?s all about vibrations!! RAM would like
> to introduce a new signature level knob developed for the mighty Silver
> Rock potentiometer. The standard bakelite knob is certainly the best
> sounding compromise... but now Audio Consulting has taken this aspect of
> the Silver Rock much further. The new knobs are custom made with beech
> wood and bronze where the bronze is used as the insert to mount to the
> stem of the volume pot. The beech wood is coated several times with C37
> lacquer for best sound as pointed out by Dieter Ennemoser. How can this
> make a difference??? Well, hearing is believing as we always say. The
> sound becomes much more open and free flowing with a nice improvement in
> resolution. Dynamics are better and overall naturalness is improved. Here
> is a test for all you Silver Rock owners. Try removing the bakelite knobs
> and listen. You will be shocked by this! The signature knobs will have an
> even greater effect?really amazing! The point here is the micro vibrations
> created by the volume pots and knobs find their way into the delicate
> signal path and cause degradation (Bad vibrations equal bad sound). With
> the signature knobs micro vibrations from the C37 concept of wood, bronze
> and the lacquer itself compensate for the volume pots and provide (Good
> Vibrations) our ear/brain combination like to hear?way better sound!!
>
> Knobs can easily be installed on all versions of the Silver Rock potentiometer.

Anonymous
January 9, 2005 7:21:32 PM

I tried the pebbles on my computer speakers. It did not help the
speakers, but it improved my subjective experience with the computer.
Running a computer algebra program called MuPAD, with the pebbles, real
numbers seemed more real and complex numbers more complex. Pi seemed
more lifelike, and I felt like I had never experienced the full
roundness of round numbers before.

The amazing thing is that I did not tell my wife about the pebbles. She
walked into the room with the computer, looked at the screen, and asked
me if I was doing something different with the numbers.

WVK wrote:
> Steven Sullivan wrote:
> > Sometimes you really want to believe something's a joke.
> > But alas it's not.
> >

> Another excellent product:
>
> "It's no exaggeration to say that with the Pebbles in place
> regular CDs now sound better than SACDs did before." -- Gabriel G.,
PhD

> "Highly specialized, proprietary techniques are employed to
"condition"
> minerals and assemble Brilliant Pebbles. Brilliant Pebbles acts as
both
> a vibration "node damper" and EMI/RFI absorber via quantum mechanical

> and other atomic mechanisms in the crystals. Large Brilliant Pebbles
is
> effective on tube and solid state amps, on speaker cabinets and tube
> traps. On the floor in room corners, Large Brilliant Pebbles reduces
> comb filter effects caused by very high sound pressure levels in room

> corners while music is playing"
>
> http://www.machinadynamica.com/index.html
>
> WVK
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 7:22:51 PM

Steven Sullivan wrote:

>> Good vibrations, Bad vibrations it?s all about vibrations!! RAM
>> would like to introduce a new signature level knob developed for
>> the mighty Silver Rock potentiometer. ...BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH
>> BLAH... With the signature knobs micro vibrations from the C37
>> concept of wood, bronze and the lacquer itself compensate for the
>> volume pots and provide (Good Vibrations) our ear/brain combination
>> like to hear?way better sound!!

======================================

Not only that, but remember that not one of these Audioquacks has yet
researched the sonic effect of finger oils on the knob. Perhaps beyond
that, there will even be differing effects due to the brand and type of
soap used to wash one's hands, thus causing trace adulteration of the
finger oils. After all, as quoted from the movie, "A Christmas Story":

> Over the years, I got to be quite a connoisseur of soap. Though my
> personal preference was for Lux, I found that Palmolive had a nice,
> piquant after-dinner flavor - heavy, but with a touch of mellow
> smoothness. Lifebuoy, on the other hand...

-Gene Poon
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 4:26:08 AM

elephantcelebes@yahoo.com wrote:

> I tried the pebbles on my computer speakers. It did not help the
> speakers, but it improved my subjective experience with the computer.
> Running a computer algebra program called MuPAD, with the pebbles, real
> numbers seemed more real and complex numbers more complex. Pi seemed
> more lifelike, and I felt like I had never experienced the full
> roundness of round numbers before.
>
> The amazing thing is that I did not tell my wife about the pebbles. She
> walked into the room with the computer, looked at the screen, and asked
> me if I was doing something different with the numbers.

I tried using the Brilliant Pebbles, and the only change was that
somebody said I had the personality of a box of rocks. <G>

-GP
!