hissing channel on JVC receiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

to start hissing in one channel... I have hooked other speakers up to
this same rear channel and they all hiss as well, so I know it's not
the speaker or the wire. Any help I would appreciate. This hiss
started yesterday, I changed the connectors and it wasn't working
yesterday afternoon. All the sudden last night it started working.
Today it was working fine, I changed the setting on my receiver to turn
the channel back up, and +3, it usually is on +6 and it started hissing
a few hours later.

In article <crv9lq01mem@news1.newsguy.com>,
"Rob" <teacherrob9@comcast.net> wrote:

> to start hissing in one channel... I have hooked other speakers up to
> this same rear channel and they all hiss as well, so I know it's not
> the speaker or the wire. Any help I would appreciate. This hiss
> started yesterday, I changed the connectors and it wasn't working
> yesterday afternoon. All the sudden last night it started working.
> Today it was working fine, I changed the setting on my receiver to turn
> the channel back up, and +3, it usually is on +6 and it started hissing
> a few hours later.

More than likely, the audio amplifier chip for that channel is
going bad. The way to test this is to open up the unit, get it
in the failure mode, then spray the chip with freeze mist. If
it pops back to life, then you know for sure it is that chip.
If you can do this yourself, it is worthwhile fixing. If not,
the unit is most likely not worth taking in for service given
the low cost of new units.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708 john@johnweeks.com
Newave Communications http://www.johnweeks.com