How to Disbale ActiveX

nits wrote:
> Can any one please tell me how to disable ActiveX controls .

In Internet Explorer, click Tools > Internet Options > Security >
Custom Level, set the ActiveX Controls as desired.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

On 10 Jun 2005 12:35:48 -0400, nits <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com>

>Can any one please tell me how to disable ActiveX controls .

The most reliable way to suppress all ActiveX is to use a browser
engine that doesn't support ActiveX. AFAIK Firefox qualifies, but the
new Netscape 8 doesn't - it uses both Gekko and IE engines.

Or do you want to disable *particular* ActiveX controls? If so, you
may be able to set a "kill bit" to disable them, if they are known. I
don't know how to do that manually; instead, I use Spyware Blaster
that blacklists and kills a number of known bad controls, a list that
is updated regularly. If I wanted to make an exception for a blocked
control, Spyware Blaster allows these to be unchecked.

Otherwise, IE's Tools, Options lets you block/prompt/allow ActiveX
"marked safe for scripting" vs. not marked as such, or differentiate
on whether they are signed or not. You can set such detail for IE's
Trusted, Restricted and Internet zones.

There's no control over what an ActiveX control may be allowed to do -
once trusted, it's got a blank cheque to do what it likes. So there's
no fine-grained control such as Firefiox offers over Javascript; allow
to change images but not context menus, that sort of thing.

This has always been a criticism of ActiveX - and a valid one, IMO -
and it's quite revealing about MS's attitude to such matters. You are
supposed to trust an identity to do whatever it likes (or not), rather
than interact with a stranger and limit what they can do.

This is all very well in a closed network, where a proven identity can
be compared to a known template of expectations, but it's useless on
the Internet, where "by design" you interact with strangers. Perhaps
the hope is that you'll be more inclined to trust big corporations
that speak your language, and thus maintain the hegemony?

Forget http://cquirke.blogspot.com and check out a
better one at http://topicdrift.blogspot.com instead!

Right on!!!

--