How do I become an "Ultima Dragon"?

WindSong

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

I registered as an "Ultima Dragon" in 1996 at some Ultima fan site, but can't
for the life of me remember if this was some sort of "official" sanction from
Origin Systems or just some fan members idea of an ultima social club. Ive
long since forgotten my handle, and password AND the site! So a further
question is this..do people self-apply these "dragon" handles (i.e. Refractor
Dragon, Dominus Dragon) anomonously and without any formal registry at all?
Please forgive such ignorance from a 34 yr old (long-time) Ultima fan.

Ive been playing Ultima since 1985. But sadly, havent been much into Usenet
until post-2000.

On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 04:41:59 GMT, yth@aol.com (Windsong) wrote:

>I registered as an "Ultima Dragon" in 1996 at some Ultima fan site, but can't
>for the life of me remember if this was some sort of "official" sanction from
>Origin Systems or just some fan members idea of an ultima social club. Ive
>long since forgotten my handle, and password AND the site! So a further
>question is this..do people self-apply these "dragon" handles (i.e. Refractor
>Dragon, Dominus Dragon) anomonously and without any formal registry at all?
>Please forgive such ignorance from a 34 yr old (long-time) Ultima fan.
>
>Ive been playing Ultima since 1985. But sadly, havent been much into Usenet
>until post-2000.

The official site is at http://www.udic.org/. You can fill out a joining
form there <http://www.udic.org/join.html> or look at the roster and see
if you can find yourself on it <http://www.udic.org/members/rosterl.html>
already.

--
The Polychromic Dragon (Michael Cecil) Official UDIC Greeter
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/ macecil@comcast.net

WindSong

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

Thanks..I found my name! Been there since 96. But uh..Im missing my dragon
handle. It says "Unknown". I guess I typed my name but forgot a handle?
Arghhh..I sent an email but it was bounced back to me. I thought of going with
"Diamondscale" dragon. I hope someone sees this and tells me how to alter it.
The email I used way back when has long since vanished at my previous
university. *sigh*

Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net> wrote:
>On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 04:41:59 GMT, yth@aol.com (Windsong) wrote:
>
>>I registered as an "Ultima Dragon" in 1996 at some Ultima fan site, but
can't
>>for the life of me remember if this was some sort of "official" sanction
from
>>Origin Systems or just some fan members idea of an ultima social club. Ive
>>long since forgotten my handle, and password AND the site! So a further
>>question is this..do people self-apply these "dragon" handles (i.e.
Refractor
>>Dragon, Dominus Dragon) anomonously and without any formal registry at all?
>>Please forgive such ignorance from a 34 yr old (long-time) Ultima fan.
>>
>>Ive been playing Ultima since 1985. But sadly, havent been much into Usenet
>>until post-2000.
>
>The official site is at http://www.udic.org/. You can fill out a joining
>form there <http://www.udic.org/join.html> or look at the roster and see
>if you can find yourself on it <http://www.udic.org/members/rosterl.html>
>already.
>
>--
>The Polychromic Dragon (Michael Cecil) Official UDIC Greeter
>http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/ macecil@comcast.net
>UDIC d++ e++ N++ T Om+ U1!2!3!4!5!6!A!WML!7'!S'!8!9! u+++ uC++ uF
> uG++ nC++ nH++ nP++ uLB++ uA+ nI++ nPT nS+ nT+ wM- wC y+ a39

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

(snip)
Well, according to C.S. Lewis, go find a den full of treasure, and go
wallow in it until you fall alseep. You should wake up as a dragon.
^_^

-==Kensu==-

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 01:03:24 GMT, yth@aol.com (Windsong) wrote:

>Thanks..I found my name! Been there since 96. But uh..Im missing my dragon
>handle. It says "Unknown". I guess I typed my name but forgot a handle?
>Arghhh..I sent an email but it was bounced back to me. I thought of going with
>"Diamondscale" dragon. I hope someone sees this and tells me how to alter it.
>The email I used way back when has long since vanished at my previous
>university. *sigh*

You had email bounce from join@udic.org?

Anyhow, if that's the name you want just email me with your email address,
your real name, the chosen name (Diamondscale Dragon?), the Ultimas you've
played, the Ultimas you've won, and ideally your mailing address (just for
confirming name changes, etc later on).

--
The Polychromic Dragon (Michael Cecil) Official UDIC Greeter
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/ macecil@comcast.net
UDIC d++ e++ N++ T Om+ U1!2!3!4!5!6!A!WML!7'!S'!8!9! u+++ uC++ uF
uG++ nC++ nH++ nP++ uLB++ uA+ nI++ nPT nS+ nT+ wM- wC y+ a39

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

In article <qd6fe052m07c7mp2vtg51kun7n59ks11mk@4ax.com>, macecil@comcast.net
says...

>On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 01:03:24 GMT, yth@aol.com (Windsong) wrote:

>>clip

>You had email bounce from join@udic.org?

>Anyhow, if that's the name you want just email me with your email address,
>your real name, the chosen name (Diamondscale Dragon?), the Ultimas you've
>played, the Ultimas you've won, and ideally your mailing address (just for
>confirming name changes, etc later on).

*****
I also had an email to join@udic.org bounce back.Below is the message I got:

The original message was received at Sun, 4 Jul 2004 12:48:46 -0400
from smmsp@localhost

blackmage@udic.org
(reason: 550 [SUSPEND] Mailbox currently suspended - Please contact
correspondent directly)
(expanded from: include:/home/u/udic/distrib/rmaint.txt)

.... while talking to gateway-s.comcast.net.:
>>> DATA
<<< 550 [SUSPEND] Mailbox currently suspended - Please contact correspondent
directly
550 5.1.1 blackmage@udic.org... User unknown
*****

I also sent the request to you via email.

http://users.erols.com/kennrice
Civil War Round Table of DC & Concentration Camp made of LEGO bricks
http://members.tripod.com/~kennrice
Maps of Ultima 7 Parts 1 & 2, Prophecy of the Shadow, Savage Empire,
Crusaders of Dark Savant & Others.

WindSong

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

Thanks! I got it all sorted out.

Maybe we should require all members to have a sword? :p

In article <D9XFc.8072325$iA2.910560@news.easynews.com>,
Windsong <yth@aol.com> wrote:
>Thanks! I got it all sorted out.
>
>Maybe we should require all members to have a sword? :p

Not unless the motto of the Dragons is "There can be only one." :)

-KKC, who is not an Ultima Dragon but does share the same contempt for
Electronic Arts and has many other geek qualifications, as evidenced
above. :)
--
-- "I'm going to put a nickel in this jar every time I get - kendrick
a phone call from a mortgage company trying to make me - @io.com

Samurai

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2002
Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

Quoth yth@aol.com (Windsong):
>Thanks! I got it all sorted out.
>Maybe we should require all members to have a sword? :p

I've got mine already. Three, in fact. :)
\^\^//
,^ ( ..) Samurai Dragon -==UDIC Sig Code==-
| \ \ -==(UDIC)==- d++e+N T--Om+U146MA7'! L8u uC++
\ `^--^ \\\\\\\/////// uF-uG++uLB+uA+nC++uR nH+nP+++
\ \ \ (2 Attentive Points) nI--nPT nS+++nT--wM-wC y+ a28
ksj ^--^ ___________________________________________________________

Words to the wise, Samurai <Samurai@his.reply-to.address> wrote:

>>Maybe we should require all members to have a sword? :p
>
>I've got mine already. Three, in fact. :)

Wakizashi+Katana and what?
(I can never remember the name for the "long blade - short blade"
combination).

Aaah, I vaguely remember you telling that you own either a floret or a
rapier.
--
Claus Dragon <clauskick@mpsahotmail.com>
=(UDIC)=

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 02:12:04 +0200, Claus Dragon
<claus@ultima-dragons.org> wrote:

>Words to the wise, Samurai <Samurai@his.reply-to.address> wrote:
>
>>>Maybe we should require all members to have a sword? :p
>>
>>I've got mine already. Three, in fact. :)
>
>Wakizashi+Katana and what?
>(I can never remember the name for the "long blade - short blade"
>combination).
>
>Aaah, I vaguely remember you telling that you own either a floret or a
>rapier.

Just think of the crowning glory of IonStorm Dallas. Daikatana.

--
Michael Cecil

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 16:52:41 GMT, no@email.ads (Ken Rice) wrote:

>I also had an email to join@udic.org bounce back.Below is the message I got:
>
>The original message was received at Sun, 4 Jul 2004 12:48:46 -0400
>from smmsp@localhost
>
> ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
>blackmage@udic.org
> (reason: 550 [SUSPEND] Mailbox currently suspended - Please contact
>correspondent directly)
> (expanded from: include:/home/u/udic/distrib/rmaint.txt)
>
> ----- Transcript of session follows -----
>... while talking to gateway-s.comcast.net.:
><<< 550 [SUSPEND] Mailbox currently suspended - Please contact correspondent
>directly
>550 5.1.1 blackmage@udic.org... User unknown
>*****
>
>I also sent the request to you via email.

Thanks Ken. I've emailed you back. :)

--
Michael Cecil

"Claus Dragon" <claus@ultima-dragons.org> wrote in message
> Words to the wise, Samurai <Samurai@his.reply-to.address> wrote:
>
> >>Maybe we should require all members to have a sword? :p
> >
> >I've got mine already. Three, in fact. :)
>
> Wakizashi+Katana and what?
> (I can never remember the name for the "long blade - short blade"
> combination).
<snip>

I think that 'long sword' is 'Tachi'... not certain. Been quite a while.

--
The Triad
User of 'Thingamajig!'

Refractor Dragon wrote:
> "Claus Dragon" <claus@ultima-dragons.org> wrote in message

>>> I've got mine already. Three, in fact. :)
>>
>> Wakizashi+Katana and what?
>> (I can never remember the name for the "long blade - short blade"
>> combination).
> <snip>
>
> I think that 'long sword' is 'Tachi'... not certain. Been quite a
> while.

Seems to be: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tachi

-craig

Words to the wise, "Craig Hulett" <First.Last@attbi.com> wrote:

>>> Wakizashi+Katana and what?
>>> (I can never remember the name for the "long blade - short blade"
>>> combination).
>> <snip>
>>
>> I think that 'long sword' is 'Tachi'... not certain. Been quite a
>> while.
>
>Seems to be: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tachi

Hm, what is that no-dachi I remember from Wizardry 6 then? Sounds like
a version of two-handed sword then :>

Checked out the eastern asia swords collection, but did not find the
name of that combination, though.
--
Claus Dragon <clauskick@mpsahotmail.com>
=(UDIC)=
d++ e++ T--
K1!2!3!456!7!S a25

Samurai

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2002
Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

Should have answered this ages ago, but since my newsreader has choked
and marked a lot of messages unread, I've been afforded another
opportunity to do so. :)

Quoth Claus Dragon <claus@ultima-dragons.org>:
> [...]

In that combination, tanto, the short, unhilted knife that was a
samurai's last form of defence -- or first, in a comfined space. On a
traditional sword rack, it's placed above the wakizashi, with the katana
at the bottom.

However, my three swords are actually a bokken and two epees. I don't
plan to buy a katana until I can afford a good one, rather than the
cheap and easily-broken display varieties.

Daisho -- literally, "the long and the short".

>>> I think that 'long sword' is 'Tachi'... not certain. Been quite a
>>> while.
>>
>>Seems to be: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tachi

Not quite. A tachi was the cavalry version of the katana, worn with the
curve of the blade pointing downwards rather than up, but since horses
weren't a part of Japanese warfare till quite late on, it's not anywhere
near as central to kenjutsu as the katana.

>Hm, what is that no-dachi I remember from Wizardry 6 then? Sounds like
>a version of two-handed sword then :>
>
>Checked out the eastern asia swords collection, but did not find the
>name of that combination, though.

The no-dachi was indeed the huge Japanese sword roughly equivalent to
the European flamberge in terms of size, though the technique behind it
was a bit different. It was very much a two-handed weapon, though, so
certainly didn't feature in combination with anything else.
\^\^//
,^ ( ..) Samurai Dragon -==UDIC Sig Code==-
| \ \ -==(UDIC)==- d++e+N T--Om+U146MA7'! L8u uC++
\ `^--^ \\\\\\\/////// uF-uG++uLB+uA+nC++uR nH+nP+++
\ \ \ (2 Attentive Points) nI--nPT nS+++nT--wM-wC y+ a28
ksj ^--^ ___________________________________________________________

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

<snip>

> >>Seems to be: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tachi
>
> Not quite. A tachi was the cavalry version of the katana, worn with the
> curve of the blade pointing downwards rather than up, but since horses
> weren't a part of Japanese warfare till quite late on, it's not anywhere
> near as central to kenjutsu as the katana.
<snip>

Ahh, thank you.

--
The Triad